£3000 EON gas bill

Guest ritty182
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest ritty182

Just recieved letter from Buchananclark and Wells regarding EON that I owe £3000, to an account from our previous address which we sold 3 months ago and have not lived in for 18 months.

It suppose to cover a period from 1/2005 to 3/2009, I had my elec with Eon, but have never had a bill from Eon for my Gas or any other letters regarding this bill and didn't realise I was with Eon for Gas.

Does the billing code apply, what steps do I take.

Thanks

Guest ritty182

To honest it was a bad time, I was out of work and we had just had our first child. It was hard enough trying to paying the bills that came through.

The billing code may not apply here then if you have not contacted them unfortunately, as harsh as that may be. BUT if you have contacted them in the past about your gas then this should show up on your electric account with them. Was this a new build property? If so, and you did query it then call should show up on the builders account.

Guest ritty182

We contacted them to change to them from British Gas, but have only been billed for elec with them.

Then there is a possibility the billing code could apply here then. Unfortunately you will have to call them and find out the circumstances as to why it took so long for them to bill you since going over from British Gas. Call them and ask why they have taken so long to bill you, ask what readings they are billing you from and too and request the dates. You will need a full breakdown of the bill then come back to us and we will try and give the best advice. I assume you had a final bill from BG? If so how long ago was that? Check the final read on your BG bill and make sure that Eon are using that as the start read.

Guest ritty182

Spoke to Eon and they confirmed they have never sent me a bill and will have to investigate why its happened. They have the correct reading from BG to start with, but have used an estimate for final bill.

Sounds promising then. Why have they estimated the final read? Did you give them a read when you sold the property? Ask them to check if the new occupants have provided a read and request they recalculate the bill.

• 2 months later...
Guest ritty182

Update.

Have today recieved a new bill from EON for £745, they have credited my account nearly £2300, as they had not billed me in the previous years.

Hi, I have a similar situation.

I moved into a new build 5 years ago, suppliers set up by the agents as I moved in.

No gas bills, which I admit I should have queried, but was totally skint and didn't know who to chase so I brushed it under the carpet.

Finally last October I got a phone call from EON, who had my home number, so obviously had had me on record.

They asked for a meter reading and said that as it was their error they would write off the bill apart from the last 12 months. I gave them the reading and awaited the bill. Nothing.

Then one day around easter a man knocked on my door saying I owed £2200 for my gas.

He looked through the file, said all my bills had been going to some random address in manchester.

They had never chased anything until now, and wanted the money.

He took another reading and left saying they would bill me for my current bill and then set up an arrangement for the balance.

I still got nothing until July(ish).

They demanded the whole amount or I would be cut off.

I wrote back asking to arrange to pay £100 a month initially, hoping to increase the amount as my situation improves.

They replied saying I could only pay £169 a month, or go through a third party debt agency and see if they would accept less.

I waited to hear from them again.

Today I got a note through the door saying they have been and will get a warrant to change the locks, enter the house, cut me off, and claim the money, plus charge me £230 for doing it.

I have explained to them I do not deny the debt, but as it has taken 5 years for them to chase I would like a little time to repay it.

They have not reduced the amount of the bill.

Does anyone have any advice for helping to get an arrangement accepted please?

Thank you.