Australian debt - can it follow me to UK?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello - first time poster, long time reader.

I have a small credit card debt ($AUS 2000 - five years ago) that I am being chased for even though I live in the UK.

Recently the messages have mentioned selling the debt to an international collection agency. Can this happen? The debt is so small I am suspicious.

Does anyone have any information?

Thank you very much

Not a chance in hell

The agreement covering this debt was made under Oz law and cannot be enforced under UK law.

Assuming that the same reciprical agreements exist in OZ law (and they should as they are/were a commonwealth country) then the enforcement would have needed to have been taken through the courts before you left OZ and then the judgement/enforcement order issued could have been enforced in the uk, but as it stands, without an enforcement order of some kind they don't have a chance of enforcement in the uk

Hello - first time poster, long time reader.

I have a small credit card debt ($AUS 2000 - five years ago) that I am being chased for even though I live in the UK.

Recently the messages have mentioned selling the debt to an international collection agency. Can this happen? The debt is so small I am suspicious.

Does anyone have any information?

Thank you very much

CHOICE - Fair go on fees

Choice have been the forerunners to the charges campaign in Australia. Have a read of their site.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf