Help with EON final bill even though mum is with British Gas **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope i have posted this in the right place.

My mum is worried sick about a final bill she has received from EON even though she has never had her gas supplied from them.

My mum is a British Gas prepayment customer and always has been. She has always had prepayment meters in her house as they were there when she moved in 8 years ago!!

They have asked for £105 immediately or they will fit a prepayment meter into her house.

Can anyone help as i have promised to deal with this for her.

I can post up the Final Bill (minus personal details) if it will be any help.

Edited by Blondmusic
:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

She should write to E-on recorded delivery. You can do the writing so long as she signs it. Keep a copy.

saying

a) she is a customer of British Gas.

b) she already has a prepayment meter.

The computer systems of the utiities are of poor quality and this kind of error on there part is not uncommon.

Best to write as ringing customer services can increase the muddle and you just may need to show in the future that you have put them in the picture

OK. I have come up with this letter. Is this ok?

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated 22nd June 2009.

I must admit I am rather bemused at your request that I pay a final bill to your company as I am a customer of British Gas and have been for many years.

I have always had prepayment meters in the property I am living in order to pay for my gas and electricity in advance. As a result I have never received a bill regarding my fuel usage.

I would now like you to amend your records accordingly as I am not a customer of your company.

Yours faithfully,

what about this

In receipt of your letter dated

I have to admit that I am quite concerned to receive this.

as a customer of british gas,of which I have been for many years with prepayment meters in place.

I can not comprehend how there could be any outstanding balance on my account,

and as I have never been a customer of yours.I would respectfully request that you re contact myself with a more detailed account of your reasoning into your claim.

SAM:pLOWELL DETESTER

What I would also add is your meter serial number as the will be able to see straight away that your mother is not responsible for the meter they are billing you for. Have you checked the meter serial number on the bill to see if it differs from your meter?

what about this

In receipt of your letter dated

I have to admit that I am quite concerned to receive this.

as a customer of british gas,of which I have been for many years with prepayment meters in place.

I can not comprehend how there could be any outstanding balance on my account,

and as I have never been a customer of yours.I would respectfully request that you re contact myself with a more detailed account of your reasoning into your claim.

SAM:pLOWELL DETESTER

I will amend the letter tomorrow and will post it up for you all. I am to tired to do it now!!

I would never pay a bill from a utility company that does not show the meter number so that I can check.

Yes do include your actual meter number in your letter.

I am afraid that this kind of error is generated by poor computer systems.

Ok. I will. I'm too busy today so it is a job for tomorrow when i should be taking it easy. I will give my mum a call and get her to give me the meter serial number. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Blondmusic

That is a reminder and unfortunately all the details would be on the original bill that they should have sent out, or shouldnt have as the case may be. Once you have located your meter serial number, contact National Grid who will be able to confirm who your supplier is and you can then clarify this to Eon in your letter.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. I sent them a letter disputing the bill last week (they received it on the 15th of July according to Royal Mail) now my mum has phoned me this morning and told me she has got a letter from Debt Collectors asking for the money.

My mum is coming over today so i can scan and post the letter up on here for everyone to have a look at.

Look it's all good, don't worry

your mum has been living there 8 years with prepayment meters

they have sent a bill & you set them straight

now they send a threat letter..................

It is up to them to PROVE the debt

remember threat letters are just threat letters

YOU & MUM have nothing to worry about

P.S.................... UDS are part of E.ON

Edited by Beck1968
adding

Beck

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. one is by the Sword. The other is by Debt."

Barclaycard PPI Refund £4300:whoo:

Barclaycard = Mexican Stand Off

TSB = Mexican Stand Off

Santander = :mad2: MungyPup is coming to get yahh :mad2:

send "special delivery" costs more but IMO worth it

Beck

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. one is by the Sword. The other is by Debt."

Barclaycard PPI Refund £4300:whoo:

Barclaycard = Mexican Stand Off

TSB = Mexican Stand Off

Santander = :mad2: MungyPup is coming to get yahh :mad2:

Too late now cos we have sent it 1st Class Recorded. They should get it tomorrow.

Mum has also given me the meter reference number which EON and Utility Debt Services have omitted from both of their letters.

Would this thread be better off being moved to the Debt Collection forum? If so how do i ask a Site Moderator to move it for me?

This thread would do better to stay where it was as utility debts - real or otherwise - are handled differently from say credit cards and the people more able to help with utilities will find your thread there.

I'm afraid threat letters from utility companies are not just threats, they are a slow grinding process which will eventually lead to disconnection or more likely a pre payment meter... but you already have one of those and have notified them accordingly.

The worst that can happen is they will come to the property; see this for themselves. And then go away again having wasted their resources.

The only problem which may arise and it is a biggie for the nervous, is if you are not in when they come to execute the warrant it will entitle them to gain access by whatever means necessary, usually via a locksmith.

I would call Eon, they can check for you who the supplier is/was, and when, while you are on the line.

Writing may actually delay resolution if their mail team has a substantial backlog.

Just a thought; are you sure this is not the final bill from when you were with eon, there could have been a meter change?

Edited by zazen.warrior

My mum already has got a prepayment meter for her gas. She has always had prepayment meters in that house.

There was no meter change. My mum has never had EON supplying the gas in the 8 years she has lived there. She has always used British Gas to supply her Gas and is very upset about the letter she received from who she thought were debt collectors taking her to court.

UDS is Eon by another name, they handle the collection of Eons' overdue final accounts for a short time (about 3 months) before they get sold on to an external DCA.

What is happening now, have you called Eon to get them to check who your supplier is, or called the National Grid yourself as advised earlier?

Edited by zazen.warrior