yellow line exceptions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5405 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Soooo..... we are about a week away from having a parking scheme imposed on us and of course the proposals are unacceptable...

They would be acceptable IF instead of having:

"Single yellow lines with a parking restriction between 10am and 11am"

they were allowed to be:

"Single yellow lines with a parking restriction between 10am and 11am EXCEPT for those displaying a residents parking permit."

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

Whats the point of painting a yellow line and then having just one hour per day restrictions? I don't think that is going to put out residents much, you can go shopping in that hour.

Whats the point of painting a yellow line and then having just one hour per day restrictions? I don't think that is going to put out residents much, you can go shopping in that hour.

Stops local workers and commuters parking in residential streets all day.

Thanks for your responses.

green_and_mean is spot on. Our council is creating an ever increasing circle of parking restrictions which is having the effect of just moving the problem further and further away from the station!

Having thought about it I think the same result is achieved if we ask that all the single yellows are made into parking bays with "Resident permit holders only between 10am and 11am"

Anyone seen this anywhere?

Thanks for your responses.

green_and_mean is spot on. Our council is creating an ever increasing circle of parking restrictions which is having the effect of just moving the problem further and further away from the station!

Having thought about it I think the same result is achieved if we ask that all the single yellows are made into parking bays with "Resident permit holders only between 10am and 11am"

Anyone seen this anywhere?

Its common but usually unpopular as residents have to pay to park and if bays are put in the hours are usually extended as its logistically difficult to enforce in just a one hour window.

Thanks green_and_mean. Is it not the same enforcement though? The Warden would still be coming around between the same times looking for cars illegally parked, however he would be thinking

"has this person in a residents parking bay got a residents permit"

instead of

"has this person got a valid reason to be parked on a single yellow line".

You make a good point about extending the hours - and in fact having a residents only between 10 and ? would give the council an even greater opportunity for ticketing illegally parked vehicles, without risk to residents showing valid permits.

Essentially I'm expecting to have to pay for parking whatever happens - but the prospect having to think "oh am I on a yellow line" whenever I am at home is not a thought that thrills me!

Thanks green_and_mean. Is it not the same enforcement though? The Warden would still be coming around between the same times looking for cars illegally parked, however he would be thinking

"has this person in a residents parking bay got a residents permit"

instead of

"has this person got a valid reason to be parked on a single yellow line".

You make a good point about extending the hours - and in fact having a residents only between 10 and ? would give the council an even greater opportunity for ticketing illegally parked vehicles, without risk to residents showing valid permits.

Essentially I'm expecting to have to pay for parking whatever happens - but the prospect having to think "oh am I on a yellow line" whenever I am at home is not a thought that thrills me!

If the street is SYL it is obvious if someone is parked in contravention and can be done by someone whizzing about on a scooter, if it permits they will need to be checked and if there are several zones/streets with the same time it requires more staff to do it all within 1 hour.

Up here, they have restrictions around the hospital saying that only residents can park between 10AM and 4PM. Basically stops workers/patients, etc taking all the spaces (which should be unnecessary anyway as parking is now free at the Hospitals up here).

Ok understood, a cost issue.. makes sense.

As the makeup of the system they have in mind is SYL on one side and Residents parking on the other presumably they would be off the bike checking the residents side anyhow or do you think this would still have a significant extra cost impact? I guess it's two lengths of road instead of one...

(Incidentally surely someone driving a scooter should have their concentration fully on the road conditions rather than where the cars are parked!)

The best option is to change times on each side so if you are home all day you can pop out and change sides of the street.

Problem is if I'm not at home all day and wasn't fortunate enough to get a residents parking bay when I got home the previous day... That's where the Residents only between 10 and 11 came from.

Up here, they have restrictions around the hospital saying that only residents can park between 10AM and 4PM. Basically stops workers/patients, etc taking all the spaces (which should be unnecessary anyway as parking is now free at the Hospitals up here).

Thanks siege1976 I guess this is exactly what I've described, so can I ask - are these single yellow lines with an exception or a parking bays with a residents only between 10am and 4pm? Can I also ask which hospital so I can search some council details for the application and quote them as a practical solution to my council?

Ok understood, a cost issue.. makes sense.

As the makeup of the system they have in mind is SYL on one side and Residents parking on the other presumably they would be off the bike checking the residents side anyhow or do you think this would still have a significant extra cost impact? I guess it's two lengths of road instead of one...

(Incidentally surely someone driving a scooter should have their concentration fully on the road conditions rather than where the cars are parked!)

I assumed that they were going to go for a SYL and NO bays due to your original post. Whatever system they choose it will never please everyone. My comment regarding the scooter was in relation to the yellow line, if a car was parked it would be obvious even to someone driving safely since the street should be empty. Even with 8.30 -6.30 zones it annoys people because when you come home after work anyone can park in the space you pay for and you end up with no parking despite having a permit.

Yes sorry, not much of an explanation to start. I'm hoping the argument that residents parking works for both the council and the residents and against the commuters rather than SYL working against both the residents and the commuters and only for the council appeals to the council.

I appreciate your comment about the scooter.

Do you think the time spent by the Warden doubles if it is both sides that have to be viewed or is it proportionally less?

Yes sorry, not much of an explanation to start. I'm hoping the argument that residents parking works for both the council and the residents and against the commuters rather than SYL working against both the residents and the commuters and only for the council appeals to the council.

I appreciate your comment about the scooter.

Do you think the time spent by the Warden doubles if it is both sides that have to be viewed or is it proportionally less?

It wouldn't make much difference how much was permits if it had to be checked it would take the same time. One Council near me does use hour bays but varies them 10-11, 11-12 etc so the same person can check then but it does make the restriced hours confusing for visitors,

The best option is to change times on each side so if you are home all day you can pop out and change sides of the street.

Yep. Ever tried that?

When I was doing shift work in London years ago I used to live on Brigstock Road, Thornton heath (someone will know where I am talking about). You had to do this every day and sure enough, every day the wardens (as they were then) were ready to pounce and did so regularly. I only got one ticket in 2 years and was very lucky. It meant after a night shift I couldn't go to bed until 7am, after I moved the car I parked at 5am. All it actually achieved was continual nuisance for the residents.

Thanks siege1976 I guess this is exactly what I've described, so can I ask - are these single yellow lines with an exception or a parking bays with a residents only between 10am and 4pm? Can I also ask which hospital so I can search some council details for the application and quote them as a practical solution to my council?

It's bays up here around Foresterhill Hospital, Aberdeen.