Help with importing stock for resale

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post here, so I appologise if its in the wrong place.

I run a small internet business, and import stock from USA. Unfortunately my supplier tends to send these to me as samples with little value - not anywhere near what I've paid for them! and I don't buy samples.

After numerous emails asking them to send them properly they still arrive as samples.

What can I do to keep myself right? Can I phone up customs and tell them the true value of the package and ask to be charged VAT and Import tax?

If you can't do it yourself then you will need the services of an import management company to do the sourcing for you.

Take a visit to WH Smiths, they will have a list of all U.S. newspapers and magazines available for purchase. Pick some you think may be helpfull and order them, then you can read the advertisements etc; and see if there is anything in them to help you without the use of a management company.

You only other option is to visit the states and do your own sourcing.

Just as callumsgan says above - you need another supplier.

They probably think they are doing you a favour - but Customs staff are not stupid, and if you recieve a substantial amount of 'samples' from the same supplier they will most likely confiscate because of the misleading declaration. It might be easier to email the supplier and advise them you will not be responsible should customs impount the goods due to their practice of mis-describing the contents.

Is there nothing I can do from my end? I would like to keep my current suppliers as they are hard to come by. I like the quality and the price, but I just want them to post the stuff to me legally.

Can I not just phone up customs and declare the right amount or something?

Think about it - if this service was offered, how many would try the other tack. "I know it says $200 but it is only a Sample!". There are legal obligations on the sender to declare honestly, if they don;t and customs decide it has been mis or under described they add the fee they believe is correct, plus an addition for the temerity of trying to fool them - alternatively it is returned or 'lost'.

I don;t think it unreasonable to make an issue of this to your suppliers - find out who is at the top of the tree and tell them!