Insurance claim help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys ive found this forum as im looking for advice.

About 4 weeks ago i bought a new car to me costing alot of money to me (£4000) ive always been 3rd party fire & theft on my vehicles as they have been more or less worthless

Any way i was going to a car event in scotland yesturday morning and my dad had been telling me all week to get comprehensive insurance to protect my car as well as any other vehicle. As i dont usually drive long distances i thought this was a good idea as i was a bit nervous as it was going on my own. So i contacted my insurer and upgraded my cover, It was only £50 more a year.

So i set off on my 400 mile round trip and about 110 miles into the journey i had to swerve to avoid another vehicle on my side of the road by doing this a lost control on the loose gravel which had collected on the side of the banking road i was travelling on. I lost controll adn the car spun across both lanes before coming to rest on a verge.

I contacted police and my insurers luckily nobody was injured and had my car recovered. I expect it will be written off as its quite badly damaged and the gearbox wont engage anything.

How likely is it my car will be repaired ? I know this is a bit of a silly question as you cannot see the car but i really like it and want it back.

My friend thinks the insurers wont pay up as i was on my own with no witnesses and i had only upgraded my car insurance two hours before.

If anyone could explain the insurance claim process i would be most grateful as im now worried im not going to get anything back for my lovely car.

Thanks for any advice Steve.

Hi guys ive found this forum as im looking for advice.

About 4 weeks ago i bought a new car to me costing alot of money to me (£4000) ive always been 3rd party fire & theft on my vehicles as they have been more or less worthless

Any way i was going to a car event in scotland yesturday morning and my dad had been telling me all week to get comprehensive insurance to protect my car as well as any other vehicle. As i dont usually drive long distances i thought this was a good idea as i was a bit nervous as it was going on my own. So i contacted my insurer and upgraded my cover, It was only £50 more a year.

So i set off on my 400 mile round trip and about 110 miles into the journey i had to swerve to avoid another vehicle on my side of the road by doing this a lost control on the loose gravel which had collected on the side of the banking road i was travelling on. I lost controll adn the car spun across both lanes before coming to rest on a verge.

I contacted police and my insurers luckily nobody was injured and had my car recovered. I expect it will be written off as its quite badly damaged and the gearbox wont engage anything.

How likely is it my car will be repaired ? I know this is a bit of a silly question as you cannot see the car but i really like it and want it back.

My friend thinks the insurers wont pay up as i was on my own with no witnesses and i had only upgraded my car insurance two hours before.

If anyone could explain the insurance claim process i would be most grateful as im now worried im not going to get anything back for my lovely car.

Thanks for any advice Steve.

Sorry to hear about your accident.

Your insurance company will certanly settle, it doesnt matter if the incident occured minutes after you changing the premuim, did you manage to get the other vehicles details as it sounds it was there fault that caused your accident.

With regards to repair, the vehcile will be inspected by the bodyshop, if they beleive the car would not be economical to repair, it will be inspected by the insurance company inspector, in any event they will keep you updated, if they decide to write the vehicle off, never take the first offer, you can also sometimes purchase the vehicle back off the insurance company to repair yourself, again, it depends on the severity of the damage.

Hope you get things sorted.

The retailers worst nightmare !

The Police didnt even bother to attend the scene which to be honest i was quite disgusted with.

I dialed 999 and reported it to the operator would of been better to dial the non emergancy number but i was in a state of shock. When i told them i wasnt obstructing the road and that no one was injured they just didint seem to care at all.

I thought they would of come down to take a statement from us etc.

At one point a police motorbike drove past us and continued he would of seen the accident as it was right on the side of a fairly busy road.

Hopefully i can get this sorted quickly Thanks for your comments.

The Police didnt even bother to attend the scene which to be honest i was quite disgusted with.

I dialed 999 and reported it to the operator would of been better to dial the non emergancy number but i was in a state of shock. When i told them i wasnt obstructing the road and that no one was injured they just didint seem to care at all.

I thought they would of come down to take a statement from us etc.

At one point a police motorbike drove past us and continued he would of seen the accident as it was right on the side of a fairly busy road.

Hopefully i can get this sorted quickly Thanks for your comments.

Its usually the case with the police, unless there is injury or the road is completley blocked they dont attend, unless its one of there own invovled.

Any problems etc, come back to us, im sure you will get things sorted.

The retailers worst nightmare !

Can I just mention that changing the cover on your insurance, then having an accident 2 hours later will possibly trigger a fraud investigation - at least it used to.

I am not saying that you are lying, only that it is quite easy for someone else to come to that conclusion. As such you will be best off getting whatever proof you can.

Hopefully it doesnt start a fraud investigation to be honest if you were being dishonest you wouldnt put in a claim straight away would you now.

Hopefully they will sort this out quickly as im in need of a replacement car.

I can understand that obviously this will send alarm bells ringing but **** happens... Who says that because you upgrade your insurance doesnt mean you wont have a crash that day. I just hope they can see things from that perspective.

if you were being dishonest you wouldnt put in a claim straight away would you now.

You would be surprised at how stupid some people can be (I am not including the OP in that or suggesting thereto).

I once had a call asking if accident damage was covered by TPF&T. On being told no, he hung up. An hour later, he's back on the phone again (by chance, to me) to claim for AD. He had amended the policy to comp between the calls and obviously did not recognise my voice.

Another caller stated the damage was his own deliberate act. When told he wasn;t covered, he said "OK then, someone else did it".

On both occasions, when challenged, each asked "Are you calling me a liar?".

"Yes"

"I want to speak to your boss, blah blah blah".

"OK. In the meantime I will get the recording of the conversation in which you gave the other version before realising you weren't covered. Still want to speak to my supervisor?"

One did, but complained only of my "rudeness" to him and completely evaded the issue of lying.

I also remembered another call when working for a breakdown company. I advised the caller that it would be a 2 hour wait. She repeated the time (in an incredulous manner as you do) and said "OK". 40 minutes later she was back on the phone complaining that it had been more than the 35 minutes quoted (ignoring that we did not even use that timescale). I got the usual "You calling me a liar?" and advised her that it was me she spoke to. The phone quickly went dead.

Off topic I know, but like I said, people do the most stupid things.

Yeah it will almost certianly trigger a fraud investigation. You have to admit that it looks bad. Fortunately looking bad only triggers investigations, it doesn't decide on them (you won't be declined for the reason "it looks bad"). The fact that you changed cover because you had a long journey and was 100 miles from your home are things that "look good" to play devil's advocate to myself ;).

So no need to panic on that - any investigation should definitely sound in your favour.

Hi guys just an update,

Car has been declared a 'Total loss' aka write off £5400 of damage didnt look that bad to me :eek:.

Insurance company have phoned me up just to say their guys are going to look over it and give me a evaluation. But whenever i am on the phone i seem to be put on hold at funny times like mid conversation.

Hopefully its all going to go smoothly as i need another car asap. A few people seem to mention a fraud investigation quite alot but i suppose that if they wernt willing to pay up they wouldnt of gone this far already ?

Thanks for all your comments, Steve