Exactly what costs can I claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5415 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Confused about costs -- re my case against HSBC, I had claimed to have bank charges removed from a debt of £7,700ish; they then claimed for the whole debt, also went for charge on house, & got judgment by default; I applied for set aside on grounds there's no CCA - it was set aside and charge taken off house; the two cases were consolidated, just had the trial, which Judge hasn't yet given decision on.

My question is: He's asked for my Schedule of Costs, and I don't know whether I'm supposed to be claiming for costs for all the hearings, etc., throughout the case - and does it include both cases, I mean mine against them and theirs against me? I'm hopelessly confused. Also, I told him that last year I lost a job because I had to have a set aside hearing I wasn't expecting as I didn't know HSBC had got judgment by default because they sent forms to wrong address and told me nothing had been sent - the job, teaching job at a summer school, was for two weeks - I had to turn it down after having accepted, because I couldn't take time off for a hearing. The Judge (who was insufferably supercilious and arrogant) said 'I find that hard to believe' and when I showed him the email the school had sent me, said 'Oh, you didn't lose a job; you just didn't take it up in the first place' (!) Then he said 'you won't get that back anyway'.

I'm baffled - I thought I was supposed to claim for things like that. Now I'm unsure what I can put in my Schedule. Can anyone help?

Ta

Tess

You can claim all expenses directly incurred as a result of the action.

You cannot claim loss of earnings but you can claim £9.25 per hour for all the time spent on the matter as a "Litagant in Person"

Litigants in Person (Costs and Expenses) Act 1975 (c.47)

ACCESS TO JUSTICE ACT COSTS AND LORD WOOLF - ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE THE STRAND LONDON ENGLAND

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS