• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

up against RBS and MBNA - scotland

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all.

My problem is long-wnded and two-fold, but stem from a common root. So if you can bear with me that would be great, hopefully I won't bore you too much.

The first part of the problem is I have/had an MBNA credit card which I have run up debts of £10K, this is a personal credit card but was mainly used for business expenses. This card was issued about 5 years ago.

The second part of the problem is the business I owned and ran, had an overdraft facility of £15K, however I merged operations with another company and ran down the original business pretty quickly.

To ease cashflow with the second business, it was easier to get a £10K extension to the original overdraft, than to get a new overdraft facility for the new business. This extension was given to me even although there was no transactions from or to the bank accounts for the original business for almost a year.

I firmly believe that both these institutions encouraged me to take this debt.

After burying my head in the sand for some time, although my business partner taking and running off with almost £100K from the business didn't help, the demands for repayment of the overdraft and the credit card become quite serious.

The CCCS were great and helped me set up a debt management plan, and I now contribute a monthly amount of £518 to this dmp for dispersal to these two creditors.

MBNA and RBS were and still are totally unsympathetic, I had asked initially that all interest be stopped to allow me to regain some stablity, but that seemingly was not their policy. Total amount now due is £41K.

So now I would like to create my own policy and bite back.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Kind Regards

George

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi !welcome to CAG! i discovered Cag when my life was being made unbearable by MBNA phonning my home and workplace several times a day when could not afford to make my minimum repayment regulary on card and ran up similar amount to you on my card,you say card was taken out about five years ago! was that in 2003 or 2004 sort of time?Have you tried sending MBNA a s78 request to see if there is a chance they hold an unenforceable agreement as a lot of MBNA agreements round about this sort of time or earlier are unenforceable becuse they not correctly executed or have been shreeded !and as a result good chance they may not be legally enforceable!

Edited by sunflower99

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Hi Sunflower99

Thanks for the welcome, and showing an interest in my problem, as well as taking the time out to reply. It is very much appreciated.

As you can probably guess, I'm very much a novice at all of this but I'm a very willing and eager learner.

The scary part for me is constant harassment almost bullying by these institutions, and to be honest I am fast approaching the desparation stage and in need of some hope and encouragement.

What is an S78 request? Since I've asked that question then you'll know I haven't requested that of MBNA. Is that the Letter N template?

What happens if the Agreement is unenforceable? Is the debt written off, or will it still waft around me like a bad smell?

You don't happen to know anything about overdrafts do you? RBS is making me lose my hair over their tactics.

Again Sunflower99 thanks for taking the time out to reply to me. Any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Manky Thanks

George

Hi to all.

Honestly I'm trying to keep this as short as possible, but I'm almost at breaking point with MBNA and RBS, and any help would be greatly appreciated and received. I honestly haven't had a decent sleep in months, and I seem to have aged ten years in the past two.

My problem is long-wnded and two-fold, but stem from a common root. So if you can bear with me that would be great, hopefully I won't bore you too much.

The first part of the problem is I have/had an MBNA credit card which I have run up debts of £10K, this is a personal credit card but was mainly used for business expenses. This card was issued about 5 years ago.

The second part of the problem is the business I owned and ran, had an overdraft facility of £15K, however I merged operations with another company and ran down the original business pretty quickly.

To ease cashflow with the second business, it was easier to get a £10K extension to the original overdraft, than to get a new overdraft facility for the new business. This extension was given to me even although there was no transactions from or to the bank accounts for the original business for almost a year. I did sign a personal guarantee for the original overdraft and the extension, well at least I think I did, but there is no charge over my house.

I firmly believe that both these institutions encouraged me to take this debt.

After burying my head in the sand for some time, although my business partner taking and running off with almost £100K from the business didn't help, the demands for repayment of the overdraft and the credit card become quite serious.

The CCCS were great and helped me set up a debt management plan, and I now contribute a monthly amount of £518 to this dmp for dispersal to these two creditors. But this is taking it's toll and is becoming unsustainable both financially and mentally.

MBNA and RBS were and still are totally unsympathetic, I had asked initially that all interest be stopped to allow me to regain some stablity, but that seemingly was not their policy. Total amount now due is £41K.

So now I would like to create my own policy and bite back.

First question: What do I do about MBNA, how do I get this monkey off my back? Sorry just realised that's two questions.

Second Question: I am of the opinion that RBS took advantage of my cashflow situation with the new company and employed some dubious tactics to extend the overdraft of the original company Am I correct and waht can I do about it? Sorry thats another two questions.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Without sounding sycophantic, spelling is not my strong point, I only realised this site existed in the past few days, but I must congratulate all contributors on such a display of goodwill and unpaid public service.

Thanks for reading.

Kind Regards

Are you letting your bank keep your money Are you giving away thousands of pounds??

Many people aren't claiming all of the money they are entitled to when they make their bank charges claims.

You have been forced to pay unfair bank charges.

Have you forgotten that your bank has charged you inteest on those charges?

If you are overdrawn and the bank owes you charges - then your overdraft is made up of charges - money which you bank owes you.

Yet you are paying interest to the bank - on your own money!!!

Follow this link to see the discussions on this.

You might even double th size of your claim.

i will guess that you have not used the card in ages so all what you are suffering is down to late fees & charges & the associated

int?

if so

time to fire off an SAR

and get reclaiming ALL the charges + interest at THEIR rate

i would also look into if you have PPIwith them?

if so grab that back.

RBS are a diff one there is a forum for them i'd have a read in there & post there too.

they certainly sadly do nothingto help customers!!!

dx

Edited by saintly_1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello!

Firstly, I see you have only made 3 Posts, so far. What I will say next is to try and hide your identity, and is well intentioned.

I suspect your CAG ID and real name may be very similar, which is why I have not said hello to your name.

I'd like to suggest that if your CAG ID and real name is similar, we should get the Site Team to change it, and then I'd suggest you go back and edit your 3 Posts to take out your closing name on each Post.

The reason for suggesting this is to get you started on CAG without you embarking on this with your identity blown from the outset.

I'll alert the Site Team, and they may edit your CAG ID and Posts to protect your identity. So, if you log in next and see things have changed a little, then that is the reason.

Once that has been done, then it's safer to help you and get you started on this, without MBNA/RBS spotting who you are.

You do not want to give either a heads up, because then they will know what your moves are going to be.

Cheers,

BRW

A S78 request is basically a request to crediter for copy your original agreement .Pre 2007 agreements have to follow a very strict format laid down by Consumer Credit Act 1974 and if they dont comply to this format the crediter has problems and the agreement may even be completly unenforceable if the agreement does not contain certain prescribed terms and MBNA ones are very often not correctly executed and quite often have these prescribed terms missing !

If these prescribed terms are mising on original agreement even if they manage to dig out some original signed application form or agreeement. they got problems ! as in pre 2007 agreements if these prescribed terms and signature not in same document ie in four corners so to speak the agreement is not legally enforceable! so MBNA and any other credit cards taken out in that time scale are worth sending this CCA request too and if they ont respond within 12+2 days people are within their rights to with hold payment:D

Also a lot of banks made the mistake of shredding original agreements and just doing copies when requested which again gives them problems as under court civil procedure rules or any sort of legal action the bank can be compelled to bring the original into court and if they try and fob court of with a micrfilch copy they got problems and the bank can be fought on this issue as well!

Send them a letter called a CCA request. This is a request under the Consumer Credit Act for a copy of the original credit agreement. Essentially, this is the document that proves that you have an enforceable debt. It must contain certain terms and be in a specific format. If they can't provide this, then it puts you more in control of the situation. You have to send a £1 postal order and it is advisable to send this by recorded delivery. I can never find this template, so here's a copy of the one I sent them:

MBNA Europe Bank Ltd

PO Box 1004

Chester Business Park

Chester

CH4 9WW

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

With reference to the above agreement, I would be grateful if you would send me a copy of this credit agreement.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (Sections 77−79), I am entitled to receive a copy of my credit agreement on request. I enclose a payment of £1.00 which represents the fee payable under the Consumer Credit Act.

I understand a copy of my credit agreement should be supplied within 12 working days.

I understand that under the Consumer Credit Act creditors are unable to enforce an agreement if they fail to comply with a request for a copy of the agreement under these sections of the Act.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

The above letter with comment and advice from Fred taken from my MBNA thread and was the letter i used for my CCA s78 request! you will need ro send them a £1 postal order as that is the statuary fee set by the law Also dont sign it! Just print your name! as one of the golden rules drummmed into me by Caggers is best not to sign things ;)

To answer your other questions i am afraid even if the agreement unenforceable be prepared for a long haul as MBNA will deny it and still try and bully you still phonning you sending threatograms ,and the dispute can go on for a few years !and just to warn you they will default you and either try to take you court or pass on your debt to other scumy ponfeeder DCAS after several monthes ,

At moment i am locked in a battle with MBNA as after nearly a year of not paying them they have now set some solicters called Restons on me who have issued court paper sso i will be going to court but as im sure it not an enforcrable agreement and think they are trying to imply my alleged CCA has a reverse or scond page which has prescribed terms on which me and other Caggers think is dodgy so i have sent in a defence and am going to fight them on this ,

One encouraging thing is a lot of people taken to court by Reston/MBNA have have won :D and i am getting help to defend myself .But whatever happens you will get help from Cag to deal with all problems that crop up and people on cag have been life savers to me ,I even got one lovely Cagger offering to go to court as a court buddy on day so i will not face court on my own! so honeslty you come to right place for help and whatever MBNA throws at you there will be someone to offer you help and moral support!:)

if you manage to get away with not paying DCA for six years and making sure in letters you state do not acknowledge debt and that account in dispute the debt becomes staue barred after six years and again debt can not be legally enforced! I am afraid i dont know a lot about overdrafts as different rules apply to them but if you got bank charges on bank account you can claim back unfair bank charges plus interest charged on them and many caggers have won these cases and got quite a bit of money knocked of their overdraft to make things easier!i not been down that road yet as very busy disputing my credit card with unenforceable agreements :)

Edited by sunflower99

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Hi DX

Thanks for the reply. As you've probaly guessed IT and myself don't go together all that well, I've posted the thread in the wrong forum.

You are quite right regarding MBNA, the card hasn't been used in ages, and I would agree that charges and fees make up a lot of the outstanding debt.

Is there a letter template for a "subject access request" I can use?

Thanks for the advive it is appreciated.

Hi DX

Thanks for answering my query.

I'm afraid I've posted this in the wrong forum, but that just confirms IT and me don't ger along.

Anyway getting back to my problem, you are right about the fees and charges with MBNA, and I can confirm the card has not been used in ages.

Is there a letter template for a "Subject Access Request"? What happens then? My confidence is already battered over this.

I'll look at some other threads regarding RBS, hopefully I'll get some joy there.

Thanks for the advice and tips.

Regards

George

Thanks BRW

I'll try and get back in to change my ID details, but it's difficult enough to try and post a thread, but I'll get better.

Once again thanks for the tip.

Regards

G

Thaks Saint1

Sorry for passing my confusion along.

I will get better.

G

Morning Sunflower99 and BRW

It seems I have managed to post the draft and final versions of my thread in different locations, so my apologies if I have confused you and anyone else out there.

Regards G

Dont worry about it! It took me a while to get used to forum! and you will not be the first or last Cagger to get confusion with threads!:)

Edited by sunflower99

Dear All

Am I getting paranoid or what? Or do I always assume that various institutions are monitoring this thread/website?

On almost every occassion I have opened up my thread to see a guest is also viewing?

I thought the bad old days of looking over my shoulder had gone, obviously not.

So here's a message for these institutions who may be monitoring what is going on " I ain't going away, even if my actions are compromised".

Regards to all

G

I know what you mean! In fact i was warned about Restons spying on my MBNA thread as i was warned that Restons like to spy on people who they taken on who they get to know are Caggers on these threads and with the advent of computers and modern technology and matching upletters and posts and date not an impossible feat these days i should imagine!In fact one person said on a thread that Restons tried to use some quotes he had posted on this thread in a courtroom!

Though he did say DJ was not very impresssed with them doing that:D Also some people get letters from Restons saying how dare they use the internet for help!:Di think they soon get to know which of their vicitms are Caggers by the letters they start receiving!:Di think they hate it when they get a cagger though as they know they not got a easy taget!

Hello!

Am I getting paranoid or what? Or do I always assume that various institutions are monitoring this thread/website?

No, you do need to be cautious. Trick is to remove anything that can positively identify you, then after that, you can discuss things more openly but must always be aware that enemies may be reading the Threads as well as people trying to help.

On balance, it's better to get help than say nothing in the fear of saying too much. Key is to make it hard for them to say it is absolutely you. Thus, avoid using your real name if possible, and change a few minor details to keep them guessing.

Perhaps alter your location to, say, Scotland, rather than being too specific. Then delete any trace of your identity from any letters you Post here to be checked. Take out Barcodes as well, in case they can scan them and figure things out from them.

Once you've taken sensible precautions, then you can steam on and get all the help you need.

Cheers,

BRW

me neither! LOL i am a bit of a dunce with computers and always end up making my computer do strange things!One day i dont know how i did it i managed to set one of my MBNA threatograms i had saved on computer as a screensaver! MBNA would have loved that! LOL:)

Thanks BRW and Sunflower99 for the tip about potential snooping.

These boys won't like me when I'm angry, and I'm getting more riled by the minute. Come to think of it I don't even like myself when I'm angry.

I'll be sending out letters pretty shortly if you guys oversee what I'm doing from time to time then that would be great.

Because of my debt management plan with CCCS I think it may be me taking them to court rather than them taking me.

Here goes. Round one and the gloves are off. Yep I can be a bare-knuckle fighter too.

Regards

G

Hi G LOL !

Glad you getting ready to give em grief!:D

Hello!

...and I'm getting more riled by the minute

Please have a read of this, as it may help to explain why your MBNA Card debt is so high!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/114133-great-mbna-virgin-interest-3.html#post2248585

I suspect it'll make you smile, but once it sinks in, you may want to fight them all the harder when you realise what has really been going on.

Let me guess...your MBNA Interest Rates are now at 35.95%? ;)

Cheers,

BRW

Hi Brw

I am have just put in a embaressed holding defence to MBNA/Restons would it be worth me adding something about securitisation in my amended defence if it comes to it ?sorry George hope you dont mind my quick question on your thread

Hello S99!

...would it be worth me adding something about securitisation in my amended defence if it comes to it...

I would.

But between now and then, get reading, and find out all you can about Securitisation in general, and how MBNA goes about it in particular.

It's a real can of worms, and it's one we are only just starting to prise the lid off...there's lots yet to find out.

IOW, don't add anything about Securitisation to your amended Defence unless, by then, you have a good handle on it. But at the least, you need to ask them to confirm that it has not been Securitised! :D

Cheers,

BRW

Hello BRW

Your link was very humerous yet incisive. If I were a MBNA snooper reading that then I wouldn't sleep at night thinking of all the misery I've imposed on people.

But that's me not them, I think I'm pretty high up the food chain not like these alleged bottom feeders.

Thanks for your help, present and future.

G

PS To Sunflower99, I have no problems about sharing the thread.

Hi G

Yes That was a great post of BRW and makes it a bit easier to get my head round as BRW is very good at explaining things that ordinary people like me can understand better! Thanks for not minding my quick question on your thread! As you say we all in this together as regsrds MBNA! i expect when MBNA get your s78 request they will think oh no! Not another Cagger and a chunk of easy profit going through their window!:D

Edited by sunflower99

Hello G!

Securitisation is built on the invisble foundations of Fractional Reserve Banking. The two combined are what lies behind the banking mess that the idiot bankers have dumped on the rest of us.

When you have time, check out this link, which may well make you even more angry and determined to fight back:

Money as Debt - Google Videos

The content is very good, and will explain what these bankers have been up to...and what exactly it is their mates the politicians have allowed.

When you are suitably angry and shocked, then you will be ready to plan your financial turnaround. It won't be easy, and it will be a long slog. But I think if you are anything like me, you will wonder why the hell you did not start fighting them back a lot earlier.

Welcome to CAG!

Cheers,

BRW

Hello BRW

The word "Securitisation" is a bit obscure to me, mainly because I've never heard of it before.

My question is "Is it my debt that can be securitised or is it MBNA that is securitised?"

The reason I'm asking is that I'm now thinking on a parallel plane, and I'm now seeing sources such as Human Rights Act and Data Protection Act being compromised and ridden rough-shod over.

If these alleged administrators can use small print against me, then I'll certainly use it against them.

Regards

G

Dear Sir/ Madam

Ref: Account No: I understand you currently hold details of my personal and financial information within your internal record systems with regard to the above account.

Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my history with your organisation. Alternatively, a complete set of statements for the account or associated accounts will be acceptable.

In addition, I would be grateful if you would provide the following for the account (s) I have with your organisation, details as follows:

1: Full copies of all contracts which you believe exist or have existed between myself and your organisation, including true copies of any original documents and their original associated terms and conditions you hold in support of the same. I wish to make it plain I do not require or want any blank/generic documents, but only actual copies of signed documents and their associated historic terms etc. If you no longer hold these, or for any other reason cannot supply all of these documents, I require you to inform me of this in writing, including the reasons for not supplying anything mentioned, or for supplying anything that varies from the specific format I have requested.

2: A complete list of all transactions or statements relating to my credit card account(s) held with your organisation.

3: If there have been any fees/charges levied on the account by either yourself or a third party. I require a detailed breakdown of those charges.

4: Copies of all documents which include any of my personal information including copies of any contacts or invoices, emails or computer records containing my personal information, or any records which pertain to this information.

5: Full copies or transcripts of any correspondence in postal, email, telephone or any other format which you have entered into with me, or any other individual, organisation or third party which contains my personal or financial, or which pertains to me.

6: Where any previous information or records held have been deleted or disposed of, to inform me of the methods used to do so, including dates, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where you are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods of destruction of this data.

7: Full hard copy print outs of my personal or financial information, held in a digital, magnetic or any other format which is held in any archives, backups or other storage devices / locations.

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £10 (number----) to cover your fee. This fee is to be used for this Subject Access Request and for no other purpose.

If there is any specific information you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity please let me know by return. However, I would point your attention to the Information Commissioner's Good Practice Notes in respect of the Data Protection Act as follows:

Data Protection Act Good Practice Notes:

"2. Do you have enough information to be sure of the requester’s identity?

Often you will have no reason to doubt a person’s identity. For example, if a person with whom you have regular contact sends a letter from their known address it may be safe to assume that they are who they say they are."

Please note the above address is the one to which you normally use to communicate my private business to and which you have hitherto found acceptable.

However, should you feel it necessary to demand further proof of my identity despite the Good Practice Notes as above, I would advise I do NOT hold either a driving licence or passport. I am however prepared to telephone your Data Compliance Department to establish my identity

It seems a lot of banks are wrongly interpreting the Data Protection Act (Data Protection Act) 1998 as a requirement to only disclose six years worth of personal data, and this is wholly wrong.

The Data Protection Act clearly states that all information held must be disclosed and it has no correlation to the Limitation act 1980 at all.

IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO DEAL WITH ANY PART OF THIS REQUEST, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY FORWARD IT TO THE PERSON WITHIN YOUR ORGANISATION RESPONSIBLE FOR DATA PROTECTION.

I look forward to hearing from you in the first instance of receipt.

Yours faithfully

Enclosed: postal order in the sum of £10 (number