Medway councillors caught parking in disabled bays !!!!!! Not again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Remember it a week ago? Now its happenned again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

medway_messenger.jpg

PD1017542@Mason%20MM%2025.05_s.jpg

Tory in new disabled bay row

A driver was forced to walk 200 yards on crutches after a senior councillor parked his car in a space reserved for the disabled for the second time in a week.

Furious Blue Badge holder Joe Dorrian contacted the Medway Messenger after we revealed that three senior Medway Tory councillors had parked in disabled bays at the council’s Gun Wharf headquarters in Chatham.

One of them was Cllr Tom Mason, the portfolio holder responsible for Medway’s disabled.

Cllr Mason, pictured, said it was raining and the council offices were closed, insisting it was the first time he had parked there.

But, just five days earlier, Cllr Mason had parked his red Jaguar in the same disabled bay at 10am on a working day, blocking a space Mr Dorrian would have used to save him a long walk.

And Mr Dorrian has the photographic evidence.

Cllr Mason has apologised but is now facing calls for his resignation.

Original here:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway_messenger/news/2009/june/26/councillor_in_new_disabled_row.aspx

So whats cooking today ?

Why is it ok to for forum members to abuse PPC parking and disabled bays on private property and supermarket car parks but suddenly its not ok for a Councillor to do it? Surely you should be applauding his stand against these unenforceable bays?

I'll never applaud a publicly elected official who has no consideration for people who have disabilities. It is not relevant that the bay is not legally enforceable, it is relevant that someone who should not park there, does. If that person happens to be an elected official then they deserve all the critisim they get.

I'll never applaud a publicly elected official who has no consideration for people who have disabilities. It is not relevant that the bay is not legally enforceable, it is relevant that someone who should not park there, does. If that person happens to be an elected official then they deserve all the critisim they get.

I don't agree with their actions just think some board members should not have double standards. One day these type of bays are 'meaningless graffitti' then the next its a capital offence to park in one. :rolleyes:

I don't have double standards. You will never see me endorse anyone parking in a disabled bay unless they are entitled. The disabled bays, enforceable or not, are there for disabled persons to use. It is utterly wrong that an able bodied person should use one at the expense of a disabled person who then has a difficult and possibly dangerous journey across a busy car park.

Why is it ok to for forum members to abuse PPC parking and disabled bays on private property and supermarket car parks but suddenly its not ok for a Councillor to do it? Surely you should be applauding his stand against these unenforceable bays?

With respect G&M, I believe you are are missing the point of the thread & being somewhat unfair to the majority of forum members.

I certainly wouldn't condone this selfishness in anyone, be it on private or public land.

Perhaps the good councillor should be issued with a parking charge notice & come to the forum for advice - then we would see exactly how much sympathy he & others like him would really receive.

Edited by StrawDog
Typo

Green & Mean wasn't defending the "parking trade" in any way.

He was simply pointing out - and I agree with him on this occasion - that it is oft-quoted on here that disabled bay markings in a private car park are nothing more than graffiti and that it is a bit hypocritical for those who support such a stance should then castigate someone - however much in the public eye - for ignoring such graffiti.

Green & Mean wasn't defending the "parking trade" in any way.

He was simply pointing out - and I agree with him on this occasion - that it is oft-quoted on here that disabled bay markings in a private car park are nothing more than graffiti and that it is a bit hypocritical for those who support such a stance should then castigate someone - however much in the public eye - for ignoring such graffiti.

I agree, if Councillor Mason had received a ticket and asked anonymously for advice here, the tone of this thread would have been completely different

Just because they think they are higher then us, they think they can do what they want, its disgusting.

A number of years ago i recall a MP parking in a disabled bay, at my local chinese restaurant, he used the excuse there was no where else to park !

Prescott Jaguar in disabled bay - Telegraph

The retailers worst nightmare !

I agree, if Councillor Mason had received a ticket and asked anonymously for advice here, the tone of this thread would have been completely different

You are correct in saying this. What you must remember he is the portfolio holder for the disabled. Also he did this @ 10 oclock on a working weekday morning. Had this been anybody else the they would have had enforcement action taken against them.

So whats cooking today ?

I don't agree with their actions just think some board members should not have double standards. One day these type of bays are 'meaningless graffitti' then the next its a capital offence to park in one.

Legally they are meaningless grafitti, but nobody here condones abusing them. It's a selfish, inconsiderate action, but so is giving out threatening paperwork and bombarding people with letters for weeks.

No it wouldn't. We've seen plenty of idiotic cases, which usually result in posts saying "your parking is truly shocking, but legally these are the facts..."

Advice is given to everyone. Since when have defence lawyers turned down clients because they don't 'deserve' to be helped?

You are correct in saying this. What you must remember he is the portfolio holder for the disabled. Also he did this @ 10 oclock on a working weekday morning. Had this been anybody else the they would have had enforcement action taken against them.

And what exactly would that action have been then?

Mossy