Parking on a dropped footway

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i am trying to establish whether this warrants a parking fine? i do not believe i was blocking the dropped footway but obviously parking attendant thought otherwise. I am going back to look at the dropped pathway today would it be a good idea to measure the height?

the pictures the council sent me are very blurred not sure if they are going to produce better pictures in court. i have posted some pictures i took on my mobile at the time

Edited by shaz1000

Please wait for an expert to look at these, but IMO I do not believe that constitutes a legal dropped kerb situation. It looks more like the kerb has been damaged (squashed down) by vehicles repeated cutting across it when turning the corner

Please wait for an expert to look at these, but IMO I do not believe that constitutes a legal dropped kerb situation. It looks more like the kerb has been damaged (squashed down) by vehicles repeated cutting across it when turning the corner

yes one of the paving stones is damaged and does look lower. the council have now put double yellow lines where i was parked

A dropped kerb will have triangular kerb stones leading to lower level ones. These definatly look like old kerbs that have dropped.

sorry on what basis are you saying i should appeal?

Appeal on "the contravention did not occur".

Whether you were committing another type of offence instead is irrelavent, they did not accuse you of parking too close to the junction or anything else, so can only proceed with the "parked across dropped kerb" offence, which it would appear, you probably didn't coz the dropped kerb doesn't exist.

I think, (although I have never had a NtO), that there is a box on the back to tick that states it didn't occur.

that is correct but i just wondered if i should send accompanying documentation in the form of my own pictures?

lamma or G&M could probably advise best what if anything should be included at this stage.

Hang on for a bit and I am sure one of them will pick up on this thread. :)

Ask the highways department (not parking) if there is a drop kerb at the location.

my 28 days is up on tuesday and the notice to owner has to be sent back by post - so may not have time to wait for a response. But that is a good suggestion, thank you

I know it's not relevant to your problem, but to be honest you are just asking for trouble parking there. So you are totally unaware of the highway code or someone that doesn't give a toss about it, or the problems parking your car there causes. Taken from the Highway Code just for you :

217 - DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop

• near a school entrance
  • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
  • at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
  • on the approach to a level crossing
  • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

If you had followed the Highway Code then you wouldn't even be in this situation.

my brother just sent me a clearer picture which he took. My car was parked adjacent to stone 1 and up to the line on stone 2. However, you can see from the angle how the kerb drops on stone 2 and then is raised on stone 3

Edited by shaz1000

I know it's not relevant to your problem, but to be honest you are just asking for trouble parking there. So you are totally unaware of the highway code or someone that doesn't give a toss about it, or the problems parking your car there causes. Taken from the Highway Code just for you :

217 - DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop

• near a school entrance
  • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
  • at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
  • on the approach to a level crossing
  • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

If you had followed the Highway Code then you wouldn't even be in this situation.

Why don't you pop over to the Bank charges forum and tell them if they hadn't gone overdrawn they wouldn't have got any charges!!

Why don't you pop over to the Bank charges forum and tell them if they hadn't gone overdrawn they wouldn't have got any charges!!

Going overdrawn happens by overlooking payments due out. Parking so close to a junction is just stupid and dangerous. To be honest, people that just have no concept of the problems they cause should be fined. If a child was crossing there, guess who's car would be blocking the vision of other drivers approaching that junction. Just hope it isn't your child that gets knocked over cos some lazy sod can't be arsed to walk a few hundred yards, so plonks the car on a junction.