Can prepayment gas meters be fitted to old gas system ? How do i re-light boiler if i run out of credit :S

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an old back boiler with old baki fire front in my flat, The boiler system is old, Scottish power are apparently coming to install a gas prepayment meter but i heard somewhere they cant fit them to old gas meter systems ?, Also the council told me if the gas cuts out i need to get them to come and relight it, So every time my credit runs out il have to get council to relight it ? Wtf is that all about surely its not that hard to relight the back boiler ?

So first question is, Can they fit these prepayment meters to old gas meter systems ?

2nd Question is, Is it easy to relight old baxi back boiler if gas has out then i put credit back in meter ?

• 3 weeks later...

hya davie1986

we have ppm and an old baxi backboiler and a baxi before that.

we have had no trouble in relighting our pilot light but must admit that we have only once in 20 years had to perform this task.

however if i was to experienced any difficulty in the relighting process i would have no hesitation in seeking help from a corgi registered tradesman.

also i cannot foresee any problem in fitting a ppm to any old system unless it was unsafe i.e. leaking and/or did not have fitted a cutoff facility that is part of the boiler. from my recollection as a user, all baxi boiler systems new or old have to have a cutoff system fitted which is mandatory.

hope this helps in someway

good luck

djc

I have an old back boiler with old baki fire front in my flat, The boiler system is old, Scottish power are apparently coming to install a gas prepayment meter but i heard somewhere they cant fit them to old gas meter systems ?, Also the council told me if the gas cuts out i need to get them to come and relight it, So every time my credit runs out il have to get council to relight it ? Wtf is that all about surely its not that hard to relight the back boiler ?

So first question is, Can they fit these prepayment meters to old gas meter systems ?

2nd Question is, Is it easy to relight old baxi back boiler if gas has out then i put credit back in meter ?

Wow..Thats a good point, ive had hassle with my gas company (Atlantic) since being made redundant and they have on occasions mentioned a prepayment meter, and your post had made me think of the same thing, my boiler is rather old and naff and from past ex[perience i know it is a bugger to light the pilot if it goes out !.. Its certainly something I'd mention if they get serious with their threats of a prepayment meter.

Andy