You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Birdie15

Vehicle Theft claim with Aviva - What can I expect?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3651 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My scooter was stolen at the weekend. It was parked in my friend's garage, unfortunateley the garage door lock doesn't have a key, she only moved in recently and wasn't provided with one.

I reported the theft to my broker, Motorcycle Direct, but have not heard from Aviva yet.

Unfortunateley I will not be able to supply accurate mileage, as the milometer was broken. During the time I've had the bike (Vespa T5 classic), I had the speedo unit replaced 3 times, and all broke within a month or two. I eventually gave up.

Is this likeley to cause a lot of problems with the insurer? I have MOT records but not servicing documents, as these were thrown out by my mother!

Has anyone had experience with Aviva's handling of vehicle theft claims? What kind of timescales can I expect before they make decisions? Is this a how long is a piece of string question?

I'd like to hear from anyone who may have experienced a claim like this, I really have no idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance :)

My scooter was stolen at the weekend. It was parked in my friend's garage, unfortunateley the garage door lock doesn't have a key, she only moved in recently and wasn't provided with one.

I reported the theft to my broker, Motorcycle Direct, but have not heard from Aviva yet.

Unfortunateley I will not be able to supply accurate mileage, as the milometer was broken. During the time I've had the bike (Vespa T5 classic), I had the speedo unit replaced 3 times, and all broke within a month or two. I eventually gave up.

Is this likeley to cause a lot of problems with the insurer? I have MOT records but not servicing documents, as these were thrown out by my mother!

Has anyone had experience with Aviva's handling of vehicle theft claims? What kind of timescales can I expect before they make decisions? Is this a how long is a piece of string question?

I'd like to hear from anyone who may have experienced a claim like this, I really have no idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry to hear of your problems, im taking it that you havnt told the insurance company all the details yet, i would suggest you tell a little white lie with regard to the lock, when they ask was the shed locked, inform them yes and also state the bike was chained and locked too.

You will also have to report the matter to the police, also inform them the shed was forced open and your chain cut ! this will tally with your story to the insurance company, you will also need a crime number for your insurance company.

If they get wind the shed was insecure and your bike was not secure they might not pay out, hope you get things sorted.

The retailers worst nightmare !

Unfortunateley I already made the report to the police, so I can't really change my story to the insurance company.

I was figuring that since it was an away from home adress theft (where my garage is secure and locked) the garage being unlocked is not that relevant - it would have been even easier for them to take it if it was parked on the street like plenty of other bikes around here.

Hope that the insurance company sees it this way, but beginning to wish I had made that white lie...

Sorry to hear of your problems, im taking it that you havnt told the insurance company all the details yet, i would suggest you tell a little white lie with regard to the lock, when they ask was the shed locked, inform them yes and also state the bike was chained and locked too.

You will also have to report the matter to the police, also inform them the shed was forced open and your chain cut ! this will tally with your story to the insurance company, you will also need a crime number for your insurance company.

If they get wind the shed was insecure and your bike was not secure they might not pay out, hope you get things sorted.

Is this advice supposed to be serious? :-o Anyone following this advice is liable to have their policy voided (in addition to getting into trouble for lying to the police!)

Edited by LemonTwist

The advice i initially gave may have seemed incorrect to do, to some people, but these insurance companies are massive, they will do anything not to pay out and sometimes youve got to lie to protect your own, sorry if i caused any offence.

With regards to your bike been in your friends shed, again just be carefull what you tell the insurance company, it may say in your premium it has to be kept at your home address overnight, but its just like when you go away on holiday your not going to travel home every night to park at your home address.

They are all very deviouse, quick enough to take your money, very slow to pay out, or pay out at all.

Hope you get things sorted.

Insurance companies will always pay out if you have a legitimate claim that is covered by the policy terms and conditions. Occasionally mistakes are made and a claim is wrongly rejected (as claims sometimes fall into grey areas), but then there is an appeals/complaints process and you can go to the ombudsman if you are still not satisfied. There is never a need to lie, if anything that will make it even less likely that your claim will be paid. If you lie, you can rest assured that insurance companies "will do anything not to pay out".

I can't see anything in the policy wording which says they won't pay out if the scooter isn't in a locked garage, so that part of the claim should be OK anyway.

In general, the best way to get a claim paid as quickly as possible is to answer all questions truthfully, provide evidence, records and documentation when requested, co-operate with any interviews/investigations etc.

Edited by LemonTwist

Thanks, makes me feel a little better :) Anyone have any idea if the milo issue will cause any problems?

I intended to eventually run the bike into the ground, so it didn't seem that much of an issue. All I could find on Google was that it was illegal to tamper with them, nothing about having a defective one.

I need the scoot for work, so if they do drag things out (like refusing to take a statement when I phoned them today) I may have to spank my precious holiday funds so I can get back on the road.

Thanks, makes me feel a little better :) Anyone have any idea if the milo issue will cause any problems?

I intended to eventually run the bike into the ground, so it didn't seem that much of an issue. All I could find on Google was that it was illegal to tamper with them, nothing about having a defective one.

I need the scoot for work, so if they do drag things out (like refusing to take a statement when I phoned them today) I may have to spank my precious holiday funds so I can get back on the road.

The milage issue should not be a problem, as long as its motd and taxed you will be ok.

Sorry to hear about your bike mate. I hope you have better luck with Aviva that I have. My van was stolen in April & despite several emails & calls I rarely get any replies. They finally offered me £900 back but then told me they were cancelling my policy & that I have to pay them £1200 which was the remainder of the policy price!!