Advice please, desperate - ending an assured shorthold tenancy early where there is no break clause.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5417 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I hope someone can give me some good advice as Im making myself sick with worry. A friend and myself signed a joint shorthold tenancy on a 2 bed flat back in March 09, for one year, no break clause (i didnt even know what one was until later). Deposits were taken and checks were done etc & everything seemed to be going smoothly but just as I was about to move into the flat my partner discussed us getting engaged & living together. I mentioned this to the landlady, and she said moving out was OK so long as another tenant is found to pay my share of the rent. My friend moved into the flat we were going to share, I moved in with my partner, and I wrote to the landlady giving 2 months notice. I never even moved into the flat.

Since day 1 of the tenancy, myself and my friend have been doing all we can to find a replacement tenant to take on my share, however it has become apparent that it is difficult because although the rent amount looks OK for the area the flat is in, the flat does not compare in quality to those of the same price in the same area. We have tried not to bother the landlady too much as she did not respond well when I gave the 2 months notice, stating she expected the rent to be paid for the full year and that I would continue to be liable until I or my friend find a replacement tenant. I have been paying my share of the rent ever since, but feel what I am trying to "sell-on" to a new tenant to replace me is overpriced for what it is - a part-tenancy in an average flat for an above average price. The landlady has not offered to assist with finding a new tenant.

With hind-sight I was stupid for not comparing the flat price with others before signing the agreement. Any advice would be very much appreciated as it looks more and more aparent I am not going to be able to get a new tenant to take over from me.

Thankyou, Mark.

My partner rents a perfect house on an AST with a great landlord, and has been there for years. We would not want to give up that place and move into the flat as he has a dog and is miles away from where we both now work. Its a right pickle!

My partner rents a perfect house on an AST with a great landlord, and has been there for years. We would not want to give up that place and move into the flat as he has a dog and is miles away from where we both now work. Its a right pickle!

I cant suggest anything then!

Good luck.