Meritforce help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5409 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a letter today from Meritforce Doorstep collection service saying I owe £105 to Mackenzie Hall and that someone from Meritforce will call here in 10 days to collect. Now the thing is they have got my address but someone else's name, this guy used to live in another flat in the house conversion, but moved out several years ago.

I have had letters from a company called Moorcroft in the past with this guys name but my address because he owed money to Anglian water, but the amount owed to Moorcroft was more than Meritforce say in their letter, so I dont think its regarding that dept. So what should I do? and also I have a mortgage on my property and am worried that all this will cost me or my property to get a black against it?

I dont think a property can get black listen, thats a myth.

The following info is from creditexpert.co.uk (read what i put in red)

People often think that these factors can lead to a rejection for credit - but don't worry, they won't affect your credit rating at all.

1. Checking your credit report damages your credit rating This is wrong, you can check your own credit report as many times as you like and it will have no affect on your credit rating.
  2. You're on a credit blacklist There's no such thing as a credit blacklist. Red-lining - ruling out whole streets or estates - simply doesn't happen and your credit score does not take account of factors such as gender, religion, race or ethnic origin.
  3. Previous occupants of your address can affect your credit rating Your credit rating will not be affected by the previous occupants of your address unless you have shared a financial connection with them. Your credit report will show you if you have any financial associations.
  4. Family and friends living in your home can damage your chances They can't harm your credit rating unless you share a financial connection, i.e. a joint account. In that case, they become your financial associates and lenders may look at their credit history when deciding whether to make you an offer.
  5. Decisions are made by credit reference agencies Credit reference agencies such as Experian do not decide whether or not you should be given credit. Lenders will make their own decision based on your credit report and the information that you give when applying for credit.
  6. Past debts don't count They can do, even if you're financially fit today. For example, a bankruptcy stays on your credit report for at least six years.
  7. You have only one credit rating. You could have dozens. Each lender uses different formulae when calculating credit scores.

Train hard...Fight easy

Send it back in an evolope, saying not at this address, Or wait for another letter

I doubt someone will call, however if they did i think it would be an agent and not a bailiff.

Just dont phone them, last thing you should do

Train hard...Fight easy

Just return the letter and state that if they had done their homework they would see that the person listed has never resided at that address and that any further letters from them will be forwarded onto the OFT for thier consideration on why a "reputable":rolleyes: DCA is sending out collection letters to the wrong address

Never Never Never Ever ring a DCA unless you have an absolutely clear purpose to the phone call and you know exactly what you are talking about, what you are going to say and are recording the phone call.

They will lie, threat and deceive you into paying money you may not have to pay and they will leave you feeling less clear about your situation than when you started. Their sole objective is to relieve you of your money.

Only communicate in writing. If they are unable to put stuff in writing, it's probably because they are lying and don't have a leg to stand on.

Thanks for all the advice. As I know the guy never lived here, and I've never had bad credit score or owed money, the temptation to ring and listen to them try and lie and cheat the dept onto me is quite strong...but I won't lol

Ok I rang Consumer Direct, and left a report with them, they said to ring the Meritforce and inform them about their mix up, which I did. I told the rep at Meritforce my story, and she asked if had a forwarding address for the guy which I dont, and she then said she would remove me from their list. I didn't need to mention Consumer Direct...will just see what happens.

*edit* Im going to send the letter back to Meritforce with a letter exlaning my situation, and telling them to forward any correspondence not to me but to Consumer Direct and give them the CD ref number hehe

Edited by warriorsq