• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

no jsa for 5 weeks!

angryandy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, just wondering if any of you would be able to help me.

I left my self employed job on the 2nd june as i was making a loss rather than a profit.

I spoke to job centre plus who confirmed that i was entitled to job seekers allowance but would have to fill some forms in and make a few telephone calls etc etc.

At this time i let working tax credits know that i was no longer working so they would stop paying me. They said they will give me four weeks roll on of the tax credits as they do but it would be in the form of a giro rather than in my bank account.

All well and good so far but the thing is now is that i still haven't recieved any jsa so far and i won't get any until the 3rd july. They say they won't back date it to the 2nd june because i was still getting tax credits.

From what i got told when i first went the job centre they said they would still back date it. Basically i want to know who is right. Are they trying it on or are they in their rights to do this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy...

Backdating is only usually done to the date you made the claim. Anything beyond that date is very rare. If you were receiving Tax Credit then depending on the amount you received they are right, as the JSA will likely be Income Based, which means that your benefit is reduced in line with your other household income.

I say this because self employed people usually pay class 2 NI rather than class 1. In order to receive contribution based jobseekers, you need to have paid enough class 1 NI contributions in the two years before you claimed jobseekers to qualify for contributory JSA.

In a nutshell, it is not the Jobcentre who are right, and they should not be giving you advice on whether or not the claim will be backdated, because ultimately it is the processing team who deal with your claim and who are fully trained in the processing of it.

What reason did the jobcentre say the claim would be backdated?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Thanks Erika.

They never really give me a reason. I had my first interview on the 9th June and the first time i signed was on the 16th.

It was during the first interview that the guy said that i will recieve my first payment three days after signing on and it would be back dated to the 2nd June. I should have recieved my first payment then on the 19th June which would be back dated to the 2nd.

I checked my bank on the 19th and nothing had been paid in. A good few phone calls and some days later i spoke to someone in the processing department who said i wasn't getting backpaid but they would send me an emergency payment of £31 and something pence. Thisn has got to last me until a week Friday.

That is the situation at the moment but i have two children to feed and my rent is due on the 1st. I have no savings as my old job didn't pay enough to put away for a 'rainy day'.

Also i have spoke to the council and they say it will take four weeks from now to process my claim for housing benefit. This is all well and good but considering i left my job on the 2nd June it will have been eight weeks before i get a penny to pay for my rent.

I think i must add also that this is the first time i have been on JSA and i do want to find work. I just need some help to do this and i feel that job centre plus and the local council are trying to make things as hard as possible for me in the hope i go back to my old job.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and answering it. Anymore advice would be great if you can!!!!

Andy...

Rest assured that whilst you will come across some people in these positions with an unfortunate attitude and ones who provide the wrong information there are some who will go out of their way to help. That doesn't help you at the moment though, I know.

The jobcentre should never have advised you it would be backdated as I said. This is for the processing team to decide.

Ask the processing section what your "date of claim" is. This is the date the form is received in any jobcentreplus office, if you completed a claim form that is, or if you telephoned to claim it is the date you claimed over the telephone. That is your "date of claim" and is when any back payment should be made to, but as I said any other "household income" is taken into account so it may not be backdated if the income was above the threshold

What you have received is an "interim payment" by the sounds of it, if it was issued by jobseekers allowance. This is designed to "get you by".

What they have given you calculates as less than the living expenses you need to last that length of time, particularly if you have children. Once that money runs out, if you have no other means of income and have no food/gas/electricity, ask the jobcentre for the telephone number for Crisis Loans. This is a free phone telephone number and it varies depending on where you live. I will pre warn you it can take ages to get through as they are extremely busy. When you hear the automated voice giving you the options, the one you want is Crisis Loans/living expenses. It usually goes like this: press any key to continue, then option 1 at the first menu and option 2 at the second menu. (No, I don't ring Crisis Loans regularly, I just support people in getting their entitlements!). The best time to get through is early in the morning, the lines open in some areas at 8:30, though in some areas it is 9am. Tell them the situation, that you are waiting for JSA to be sorted out, how long it's been, they will ask questions such as other resources you may have. There is a catch to this......if you are entitled to JSA and should have had your payment but the payment of your benefit is delayed, and it is not your error, Crisis Loans will liaise with JSA processing to sort it out ASAP. This is because Crisis Loans should not be paid when benefit is due. In the meantime, if Crisis Loans feel there is a serious and immediate threat to your health and safety or that of your family, they will issue a payment that same day to you. You pop down to the local jobcentre with two forms of ID, sign the offer letter and get your giro. This soes have to be paid back out of your JSA once it is in payment, but essentially, if it is due to be paid and hasn't been they will see to it that it gets paid. But be aware if it is not yet due for any reason, they will not be able to liaise with JSA, and you don't need to ask them to liase. They can access basic details about your JSA claim from their computer and if they cannot see any reason for it not being in payment, they will contact JSA. They might not tell you they are doing this, they will just say they are going to make their decision and either pop you on hold or ring you back.

Once JSA have all the details they require to process your claim, the AACT (Actual Average Clearance time) used to be 11 and a half days, however this can vary greatly depending on how many claims they have. This is how long it should take to process a claim but bear in mind that with the recession in full swing there will be a lot more claims than usual and they won't have any more staff employed to deal with them so the clearance time may well have changed and also although the clearance time is there, reality can be very different. The AACT is based on working days, not calendar days. See the link, from May 09 Jobseeker's Allowance: 21 May 2009: Written answers and statements (TheyWorkForYou.com)

When did you claim housing benefit and council tax benefit? The AACT for housing benefit is 14 working days, but again in reality this can take longer. If you have provided them with all the information they require to make their decision and 14 working days have passed, and you are renting privately you have a right to have a reasonable sum of housing benefit paid, based on an estimate of your entitlement. They can only refuse to do this if you refuse to provide them with the information they require, the AACT has not passed or it is obvious that you would not be entitled to Housing Benefit.

Edited by ErikaPNP

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Also i have spoke to the council and they say it will take four weeks from now to process my claim for housing benefit. This is all well and good but considering i left my job on the 2nd June it will have been eight weeks before i get a penny to pay for my rent.

When did you claim housing benefit and council tax benefit? The AACT for housing benefit is 14 working days, but again in reality this can take longer. If you have provided them with all the information they require to make their decision and 14 working days have passed, and you are renting privately you have a right to have a reasonable sum of housing benefit paid, based on an estimate of your entitlement. They can only refuse to do this if you refuse to provide them with the information they require, the AACT has not passed or it is obvious that you would not be entitled to Housing Benefit.

The AACT of 14 days (not working days) starts from when the LA (Local Authority) has received al relevant documentation. This is set in statute under The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 s89 which states

Decisions by a relevant authority

89.—(1) Unless provided otherwise by these Regulations, any matter required to be determined under these Regulations shall be determined in the first instance by the relevant authority.

(2) The relevant authority shall make a decision on each claim within 14 days of the provisions of regulations 83 and 86 being satisfied or as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions of this regulation, in a case where a person—

• (a) made the notification specified in paragraph 2 of Schedule 7 within 14 days from the day immediately after the day on which his entitlement to income support or an income-based jobseeker's allowance ceased ("the appropriate day") and is treated as having claimed an extended payment under regulation 72(2); and

(b) has made a claim, which meets the requirements of regulation 83(1), (6) and (9), within 14 days of the appropriate day,

the relevant authority shall give priority to that claim over other claims which do not fall within the provisions of this paragraph.

You have a period of one month in which to provide the evidence required, as per regulation 86(1)

Evidence and information

86. —(1) Subject to paragraph (2) and to paragraph 5 of Schedule A1[176] (treatment of claims for housing benefit by refugees), a person who makes a claim, or a person to whom housing benefit has been awarded, shall furnish such certificates, documents, information and evidence in connection with the claim or the award, or any question arising out of the claim or the award, as may reasonably be required by the relevant authority in order to determine that person's entitlement to, or continuing entitlement to, housing benefit and shall do so within one month of being required to do so or such longer period as the relevant authority may consider reasonable.

Furthermore, if the 14 day period has expeired and the LA has not made a decision then a payment on account should be made, the LA is required to make this payment without request from yourself. The payment on account is stipulated under regulation 93 (1) to 93 (3)

Payment on account of a rent allowance

—(1) Where it is impracticable for the relevant authority to make a decision on a claim for a rent allowance within 14 days of the claim for it having been made and that impracticability does not arise out of the failure of the claimant, without good cause, to furnish such information, certificates, documents or evidence as the authority reasonably requires and has requested or which has been requested by the Secretary of State, the authority shall make a payment on account of any entitlement to a rent allowance of such amount as it considers reasonable having regard to—

(a) such information which may at the time be available to it concerning the claimant's circumstances; and

(b) any relevant determination made by a rent officer in exercise of the Housing Act functions.

(2) The notice of award of any payment on account of a rent allowance made under paragraph (1) shall contain a notice to the effect that if on the subsequent decision of the claim the person is not entitled to a rent allowance, or is entitled to an amount of rent allowance less than the amount of the payment on account, the whole of the amount paid on account or the excess of that amount over the entitlement to an allowance, as the case may be, will be recoverable from the person to whom the payment on account was made.

(3) Where on the basis of the subsequent decision the amount of rent allowance payable differs from the amount paid on account under paragraph (1), future payments of rent allowance shall be increased or reduced to take account of any underpayment or, as the case may be, overpayment.

All too often LA benefit staff will try and tell you that they can take anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 weeks to process a claim, this comes from a lack of understanding of the regulations in many cases.

If you have received the notification of your JSA, or as soon as you receive it, take the notification to your LA. JCP will notify the LA of your entitlement to benefit but this can take up to 4 weeks to be processed by the LA. (This is based on my experience of notifications)

You may find these useful:

RR2 - A guide to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (October 2006)

The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006

The Council Tax Benefit Regulations 2006

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

The AACT of 14 days (not working days) starts from when the LA (Local Authority) has received al relevant documentation. This is set in statute under The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 s89 which states

Decisions by a relevant authority

89.—(1) Unless provided otherwise by these Regulations, any matter required to be determined under these Regulations shall be determined in the first instance by the relevant authority.

(2) The relevant authority shall make a decision on each claim within 14 days of the provisions of regulations 83 and 86 being satisfied or as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing provisions of this regulation, in a case where a person—

• (a) made the notification specified in paragraph 2 of Schedule 7 within 14 days from the day immediately after the day on which his entitlement to income support or an income-based jobseeker's allowance ceased ("the appropriate day") and is treated as having claimed an extended payment under regulation 72(2); and

(b) has made a claim, which meets the requirements of regulation 83(1), (6) and (9), within 14 days of the appropriate day,

the relevant authority shall give priority to that claim over other claims which do not fall within the provisions of this paragraph.

You have a period of one month in which to provide the evidence required, as per regulation 86(1)

Evidence and information

86. —(1) Subject to paragraph (2) and to paragraph 5 of Schedule A1[176] (treatment of claims for housing benefit by refugees), a person who makes a claim, or a person to whom housing benefit has been awarded, shall furnish such certificates, documents, information and evidence in connection with the claim or the award, or any question arising out of the claim or the award, as may reasonably be required by the relevant authority in order to determine that person's entitlement to, or continuing entitlement to, housing benefit and shall do so within one month of being required to do so or such longer period as the relevant authority may consider reasonable.

Furthermore, if the 14 day period has expeired and the LA has not made a decision then a payment on account should be made, the LA is required to make this payment without request from yourself. The payment on account is stipulated under regulation 93 (1) to 93 (3)

Payment on account of a rent allowance

—(1) Where it is impracticable for the relevant authority to make a decision on a claim for a rent allowance within 14 days of the claim for it having been made and that impracticability does not arise out of the failure of the claimant, without good cause, to furnish such information, certificates, documents or evidence as the authority reasonably requires and has requested or which has been requested by the Secretary of State, the authority shall make a payment on account of any entitlement to a rent allowance of such amount as it considers reasonable having regard to—

(a) such information which may at the time be available to it concerning the claimant's circumstances; and

(b) any relevant determination made by a rent officer in exercise of the Housing Act functions.

(2) The notice of award of any payment on account of a rent allowance made under paragraph (1) shall contain a notice to the effect that if on the subsequent decision of the claim the person is not entitled to a rent allowance, or is entitled to an amount of rent allowance less than the amount of the payment on account, the whole of the amount paid on account or the excess of that amount over the entitlement to an allowance, as the case may be, will be recoverable from the person to whom the payment on account was made.

(3) Where on the basis of the subsequent decision the amount of rent allowance payable differs from the amount paid on account under paragraph (1), future payments of rent allowance shall be increased or reduced to take account of any underpayment or, as the case may be, overpayment.

All too often LA benefit staff will try and tell you that they can take anywhere between 2 weeks and 6 weeks to process a claim, this comes from a lack of understanding of the regulations in many cases.

If you have received the notification of your JSA, or as soon as you receive it, take the notification to your LA. JCP will notify the LA of your entitlement to benefit but this can take up to 4 weeks to be processed by the LA. (This is based on my experience of notifications)

You may find these useful:

RR2 - A guide to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (October 2006)

The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006

The Council Tax Benefit Regulations 2006

Thank you for clarifying that the 14 days are calendar. I know with DWP it's busniess days, and wrongly assumed HB was the same!

Thanks alot in clearing some of the issues for me. I just need clarification on the housing benefit if it's possible. My JSA claim has now gone through so does that mean the council now have 14 calendar days to start paying me housing benefit. Also would this be back dated to the 2nd June because if it's not i would be a month behind on my rent with no way of paying it. I hope you can understand what i mean as i'm not great with writing things down.

Again thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my thread.

Andy

Andy...

Hi Andy. The 14 days begin from when they have all the information they require to process the claim. In regard to back dating, I'm not entirely sure how that would work as I'm not savvy on Housing Benefit. I know that with DWP benefits they only backdate to the date you claimed, but not sure on how it would work with housing benefit as they are administered by different bodies.

Also would this be back dated to the 2nd June because if it's not i would be a month behind on my rent with no way of paying it. I hope you can understand what i mean as i'm not great with writing things down.

Again thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my thread.

Andy

For HB/CTB purposes, the backdating would be to 8th June. This is because the benefit week runs from Monday to Sunday and HB/CTB claims are treated as made the Monday following the receipt of the claim form. In terms of payment, although you will have missed out on the period 02/06 to 07/08, you will in effect get this back at the end of the claim.

Backdating and start of claim are covered by HB regulations 83(5) and 76 respectively.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

Thanks again Erika and Installspark. Installspark when you say i will get it at the end of the claim what does this mean? Does it mean i will be a month behind in my rent then? If so then is their any other people i can go to for an 'emergency payment' as such to clear my outstanding rent owed? Sorry for not understanding properly but not used to being in this situation. Thanks again for helping out

Andy...

No, your entitlement for HB will be from 02/06, but will not be in payment until the following benefit week beginning 08/06. This shortfall of days is added to the end of the claim, the end of a benefit claim is the end of the benefit week following the change in circumstances. HB is normally paid in arrears.

You will receive a HB payment backdated to 08/06 once the claim has been processed.

For example, HB decision made on 01/07: You will receive a payment for the period 08/06 to 28/06. You end your HB claim 10/07 but will be paid until 19/07.

Thanks for taking the time to read and help me it is very much appreciated.

Even for those who are trained in benefits it can be a minefield at times; if it helps others then a few minutes of my time trying to provide clarification on benefits after/before going to work is time very well spent.