Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds


You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds



BankFodder BankFodder


BankFodder BankFodder

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Thanks for this update. Obviously I'm very pleased that your guitar has been delivered and that you don't have to take any further action about this. On the other hand, I'm slightly disappointed because I was hoping that this might be an opportunity to deliver a serious slap against Hermes. Anyway, who knows why it happened like this – but the most important thing is that the item has been delivered and you're not out of pocket – and also probably you have learned a good lesson – don't use Hermes – or Packlink. It's a recipe for trouble.  
    • The assets are allegedly linked to more than $4.5bn stolen from the Malaysian state investment fund. View the full article
    • I have debts of my own and will sort another advice separate for them as now I’m not working and a full time carer for wife & daughter I’m struggling to pay them so will want advice on letters to send them for reduced payments etc But for now I need to know what to do about PayPal as its really making me worry and is making me ill but ive got to try be strong and put on brave face for wife & daughter I dont want them picking up on something is wrong & worrying me
    • Help & Advice wanted on PayPal debt please I had someone staying with me for a while before they moved away and they had access to my PayPal account and was buying a few things and giving me the money no problem but then unknown to me until it was to late they had a gambling problem also and last off used my PayPal to fund online gambling . They ended up using £5,000 through PayPal and the first I knew was when I went to do some online banking and seen £1200 went out of my bank for PayPal so I looked straightaway and stopped / cancelled my bank letting PayPal take from my account . Then I logged on to PayPal and seen transactions 1 after another this going to total the £5,000 so I unlinked my bank & cards from PayPal account . Then nearly 2 weeks after I started getting emails and messages saying my account was in negative balance for £3,800 because they already had the £1200 . I’m in a bit of debt anyway and struggling so for this to happen left me feeling very ill to find they have spent thousands and left me without anything no money to live on or feed family even at the time as that £1200 that was took out of my account was all I had, I’m very annoyed and feeling very mad and very ill. Ive no idea how I can put this right as got no work no money because My wife got struck down with illness and disabled and I also have special needs daughter so I’m now a full time carer for both wife and daughter . I need to sort this but dont know how or best way to go about it. Ive had emails from PayPal and ive replied and explained plus went on live chat etc and asked for it to be logged and for them to please come to some payment agreement even though I cant afford it I know I got to put things right somehow but had no joy in chat and was just told pay into PayPal what I owe. So again I get emails and I reply but not getting any reply back to my emails . Ive not told my ill disabled wife about this right now as it would push her over the top and make her more ill thinking about it and its her Nephew to top things off so I know it would destroy her . Ive tried talking to someone with PayPal in live chat etc and emails as said asked if it can be logged showing ive been in touch regarding this matter and need to try sort it and also asked for them to contact me in writing so hopefully we can come to some sort of agreement to put this right but so far its been about 31 days now since account been in negative and ive had no phone calls or letters from them yet So what can I do and whats best way to deal with this I’m trying to pursue the person for these funds as we speak but know I’m not going to get anywhere
    • The US House Speaker said the law was a "brutal, sweeping crackdown" against Hong Kong's people. View the full article
  • Our picks

    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
Sign in to follow this  

Can i claim back charges from an old Abbey account which was sold to a DCA?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3876 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I want to know if anyone has an up to date address for Abbey so i can send them a Subject Access Request for an old bank account.


I lost all my old statements when my house was broken into years ago then i started to get letters from Robinson Way debt collectors asking me to pay them which i have been doing for 5 years. I am pretty sure that the amount is made of unfair bank charges so i am sending a Subject Access Request on Tuesday and i need the correct address.


Thanks in advance.

Edited by Blondmusic

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



Not sure if this one's still OK :rolleyes: but put it up anyway :)




You can give me a slap if it's wrong :razz:






Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Scott.


That thread is from 2007 and i thought it might be out of date. I will send it there anyway. If it's wrong i will give you a slap LOL.



:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an Abbey account from approx 1997 until 2002. I buried my head in the sand after losing my boyfriend, job and was left alone to support my daughter.


The account was sold to Robinson Way Debt Collectors and they were hassling me for high repayments so i contacted my local Citizen's Advice Bureau who arranged to let me pay debt at £1 per month which i have been doing since 2004.


I found this site and sent a Subject Access Request to Abbey as i knew most of the debt was from bank charges.


This morning i got a lot of paperwork from Abbey but they only had statements from 23/01/2001 to 17/02/2003. I want to claim back all the charges that they applied to the account in this time and i was wondering exactly how i can do this.


I am no good with numbers at all (but I am good at writing letters) and i will need a lot of help to do this but if or when i get the charges back i will make a contribution to CAG as i have already received a lot of help in the Debt Collection Forum.

Edited by Blondmusic
terrible spelling from fast typing!!

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

at present the short ans is no...its past 6yrs limitations act



please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..


if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was reading through the thread below about claiming beyond 6 years and i thought i might give it a go cos i really need the money now.



:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

the possibility is there ofcourse, but heaven knows when it will ever get its day, this stay i think still has a heap of issues outstanding.



please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..


if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

you can claim all of your charges back to 1995. You are claiming for the return of money paid under a mistake (the mistake being that both you and the bank believed that they had a legal right to make these charges). The charges are unlawful under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations which came into force retrospectively on 1 January 1995. Therefore you can claim back to this date. The limitation period of six years begins from the date upon which you could reasonably have discovered the mistake. As the OFT test case is still going, this limitation period has not even yet begun to run! Therefore you have got six years to claim at least until 2014.


How did you word your SAR? Do you ask for all data or did you refer specifically to statements. Your SAR should ask for all data which they hold on you in any form and relating to any period. Our new template SAR is worded in this way. If your SAR was worded I generally like this then add they are in breach of their DPA obligations and you should send them a letter and threaten them with a court action.


If they have technically comply with your SAR because you only asked for statements then you should send off another SAR using our new generalised template.


If that they are in breach then you should calculate all of the charges that you can identify so far, send Abbey a seven-day letter before action requiring your money back and also full disclosure. If they don't respond with exactly what you have demanded (and of course they won't do this) then sue them for the charges and also the non-compliance with your SAR. In your claim reserve the right to amend your claim once they have fulfilled their obligations under the DPA..


Have a look at our new templates particulars of claim. You will notice that there is also a claim there for restitutionary damages. We recommend that you seek restitutionary damages. This obliges the bank to hand over to you all the profits that they have made up of your money which they have taken unlawfully in excessive charges. This is an extremely just result. Don't expect the bank to come quietly on this but we think that it is only just that they should be required to disgorge their profits and we recommend that you try it.


Start doing this right now. Don't hang around

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply Bankfodder.


The SAR template i used was this one below which i got from CAG. Is this the old one or the new one.


Data Protection Manager

Data Protection Team

Regulatory Compliance

Abbey House

201 Graftons Gate East

Milton Keynes



9th June 2009


Dear Sir/Madam,


Data Protection Act 1998

Subject Access Request


Please supply me with all data that you hold on me. This includes in particular, but is not limited to, the following:-


1. The original signed, executed credit agreement/s and any terms and conditions that applied to the account/s at the time of default and at the time the account/s was/were opened.


2. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with Abbey


3. True copies of any notice of assignment and default notices or enforcement notice that you sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.


4. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted.


5. Details of any collection charges added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was, and what the charge covers.


6. Specific details of the fees levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees were levied.


7. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998.


8. A list of third party agencies to which you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.


9. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.


10. Termination notices

PLEASE NOTE that unless otherwise stated by yourselves and if the above documents are NOT provided, it will be CONFIRMED that you are unable to reproduce/provide in any way shape or form any copies of the above requested documents. You are reminded that you have a duty to inform me if you do not have the above documents. This is confirmed in High Court Law - Ezsias v Welsh Ministers - [2007] All ER (D) 65 (Dec)

You are reminded that you are obliged to supply all the above documents in line with the Information Commissioners Technical Guidance update (Dated August 2007)


I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply.


If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return. However, please note that the above address is the one which you normally use to communicate my private business to me and which you have hitherto found to be acceptable.


My previous address at which the account was originally held was XXXXXXXXXXXXX


Yours faithfully,


I have calculated all the charges so far from 2001 up to 2003 from the statements i currently have.


Where would i find the Templates for Particulars of Claim? Sorry this is all new to me. I am willing to fight them all the way. I don't give in these days. Thanks.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sent the letter below to Abbey National asking them to replay the charges they applied to my account under the hardship rules.


Request for repayment of charges


Dear Sir/Madam,




I am writing to ask you to refund to me bank charges and related interest which you have levied from my account over the last 8 years.


The High Court has recently decided that your charges are subject to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. I consider that the regime of bank charges you operate is unfair within the meaning of these Regulations as they are not individually negotiated, they operate in much the same way as charges operated by other High street banks and therefore there is little alternative to myself but to agree to the charges. Furthermore the charges are contrary to the requirement of good faith and fair dealing as they lack basic standards of commercial moral practice and take an unfair advantage of the weak bargaining power of the consumer. They impose a significant imbalance in the rights and obligations between the contracting parties which is to my detriment. I also consider that the charges may be unlawful at common law.


Your responsibilities


I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law. Furthermore you are bound by the Banking Code to treat your customers fairly and it is evident that you do not so.


I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise.


I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.




What I require


I calculate that you have taken £446.50 plus a further £267.54 which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £714.04.


I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter.


My targets to resolve this matter


I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.


I am fully aware of the waiver which you are presently relying upon and which was granted to you by the FSA. However, this is an internal industry matter and has nothing to do with me. It is one-sided and I note that you continue to levy charges and to enforce them despite the weight of judicial and popular opinion against you.


I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.


If you dispute that I am entitled to a refund of these charges, then please let me know within the above timescale the basis upon which you dispute together with the reasons why you consider your charges to be fair.


If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.


After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.


In considering this request for repayment, your attention is drawn to the Press Release issued by the FSA on 27th July, which states:


"Consumers who are in very difficult financial circumstances - 'hardship cases'


Banks and building societies will have to conduct a filtering process to ensure that cases of genuine hardship are still dealt with during the waiver period. Cases of hardship would still be entitled to be referred to, and dealt with by, the FOS."


I believe that my personal circumstances fall within this category as I am a single parent receiving state benefits as my only income.


My current circumstances mean that I in arrears with my rent, I am struggling to pay for Gas and Electricity, I am unable to afford clothes for my daughter and I am in arrears with loan repayments.


Yours faithfully,


I got the following reply today which i am not happy with as i informed them i was suffering hardship which they have totally ignored.








I just want to know where i go from here?



:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...