Connaght collections overdraft of £1800

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I am new here & this is my first post, so please be gentle:).

I am hoping someone can advise me on my problem with Connaght collections.

After repeated letters & then the threat of a statutory demand i agreed to pay £30.00 per month, now as the dust has settled on what was a very bad time for me i`m starting to question my debt.

It pertains to an overdraft of £1800, 95% of this is bank charges.

I no longer have the bank statements but CC have never produced any evidence of my debt.

The debt is now down to £1500 & its hard for me paying £30.00 per month.

do i have the legal right to ask for proof of debt & can i lower my payments?.

I must say i`m tempted just to stop paying altogether & look after the day to day stuff i need to pay, what would be the outcome if i took this course of action?

i can live with a bad credit rating as mine is bad already, but paying for bank charges that were imposed on my really irks me.

Any advice would be helpful

Many thanks

Middxx

Have you thought about reclaiming the charges? That alone should bring it down a fair bit.

also i would ask connaught to actually prove they are entitled to collect this debt.

This is for starters, hopefully some more knowlegeable peoples will add to this and help you out.

Hello middx !!!

Just wanted to say hello and good luck, there are loads of people on here who can help you with this. They've been a great help to me along my very very long journey of debt problems.

Hope you get some help !! Don't let the bad guys get you down :p

Have you thought about reclaiming the charges? That alone should bring it down a fair bit.

also i would ask connaught to actually prove they are entitled to collect this debt.

This is for starters, hopefully some more knowlegeable peoples will add to this and help you out.

Claiming back the bank charges would be very difficult as i no longer have any statements, plus i think there`s such a back log it could take a very very long time

Hello middx !!!

Just wanted to say hello and good luck, there are loads of people on here who can help you with this. They've been a great help to me along my very very long journey of debt problems.

Hope you get some help !! Don't let the bad guys get you down :p

Hi ICO

Thanks for the kind words.

I`m in a totally different place [ mentally ] now about my debts, i nearlly worried myself into an early grave a few years ago.

I never intend to to let that happen again, they cant have what i aint got:D

I am in a totally different place [ mentally ] now about my debts, i nearlly worried myself into an early grave a few years ago.

Me too, I am still laughing at the fact I am now the information comissioners office . . . . . little did i know that when i decided to call myself i.c.o I would become something so great . . . . .:D:D:D:D

I am in a totally different place [ mentally ] now about my debts, i nearlly worried myself into an early grave a few years ago.

Me too, I am still laughing at the fact I am now the information comissioners office . . . . . little did i know that when i decided to call myself i.c.o I would become something so great . . . . .:D:D:D:D

I cant take the credit i`m afraid, that honour goes to.........................

Spell checker

:D

Hi middxx,

If you don't have the statements then you can still ask for breakdown of the arrears and send an SAR to your original creditor.

If they haven't obtained a CCJ against you then you have every right to tell them directly that you can't afford the payments and send them a new statement of your situation offering a lesser amount.

You should still make a complaint to the FOS with regards to the charges as this will delay any legal action against you whilst the debt is in dispute. Unfortunately with an overdraft there is no real proof of the debt to contest, unlike say a credit card or loan that has to have a signed consumer credit agreement.

You should certainly ask Connaughts for proof that they are legally entitled to recover the debt.

What Connaughts could do next depends on your circumstances and how old the debt is. Work out how much you realistically afford and offer them slightly less than that to start with. They are not going to make you bankrupt for £1500 and depending on how old the debt is it's highly unlikely they would apply for a CCJ, if you make them aware that you are disputing the charges.

Hi middxx,

If you don't have the statements then you can still ask for breakdown of the arrears and send an SAR to your original creditor.

If they haven't obtained a CCJ against you then you have every right to tell them directly that you can't afford the payments and send them a new statement of your situation offering a lesser amount.

You should still make a complaint to the FOS with regards to the charges as this will delay any legal action against you whilst the debt is in dispute. Unfortunately with an overdraft there is no real proof of the debt to contest, unlike say a credit card or loan that has to have a signed consumer credit agreement.

You should certainly ask Connaughts for proof that they are legally entitled to recover the debt.

What Connaughts could do next depends on your circumstances and how old the debt is. Work out how much you realistically afford and offer them slightly less than that to start with. They are not going to make you bankrupt for £1500 and depending on how old the debt is it's highly unlikely they would apply for a CCJ, if you make them aware that you are disputing the charges.

Hi Crapstone

Thanks for the advice & for taking the time to help.

Could i ask a few questions regarding your reply.

Is there a template for the SAR on here?, also when i get the information can i stop / vastly reduce my payments to CC on the basis that if found in my favour then i`m paying monies that don't need to be paid & the chances of those lovely peeps at Connaught returning my money is Nada.

Middxx

please can you check where you given NOA from your bank

Thanks a million Lilly white, really appreciate your help

Not sure what NOA stands for, sorry for being a thicko:D

Noa

Stands For Notice Of Assignment Lay Man Terms Did The Bank Tell You That They Are Assigned The Account To These People

Please Enjoy I Hope It Is Sunny Where Ever You Are

Lilly White

Not to my knowledge, but i had moved address & just ignored them for nearly a year as no letters were getting forwarded on. does it make a difference?.

So sorry to keep bothering you Lilly White, when i write to CC & inform them that my debt is in dispute can i also inform them that i shall be cancelling my direct debit.

its very sunny & will get sunnier if i can put a big spoke in CC`s wheel:D

Once again thanks for all your help

Middxx

Yes It Does

If These People Are Just Acting On Behalf Of The Bank They Cant Sue In Their Own Right

If They Own The Account They Can

So You Should Have Been Inform By The Bank That They Have Sold The Account If Not Just Tell These People To Go And .......

It Just Gets Better