Bank assistant tries to talk me out of withdrawing my own money!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a very bizzare incident in a bank today.

I went in to check if any bank charges had been refunded to me as promised, it turns out they had been (thank you very much :D)

Anyway, the refund charge put me back in credit & left me with an available amount to withdraw.

I enquired to the assistant about how i could withdraw it as i didnt have the bank card anymore (its not the main bank i use any longer), i did have a basic account card for my other account with them though (i have 2 - a current & basic account ) & she was able to access the current account using that card etc..

Well what planet was this woman on?

She was saying all sorts to stop me from withdrawing this available money as it would only result in me having potentially more charges (how when its an available balance :confused:) & it was the banks money she was saying.

She then got a lecture from me about the banks being bailed out with taxpayers money etc..;)

Needless to say that i did withdraw the money..but who the hell did she think she was? it was my decision what to do with my accounts & not for her to tell me what i should do 1 way or the other :mad:

Edited by mr.ton

It is not unusual for bank cashiers to ask;

what do you want the money for?

I have had this said several tim and all kinds of crazy thoughts come into one's head when thinking about the response...!

Anyhow, it is really none of their business when it is your money that is being withdrawn. However, I believe that bank cashiers are a breed that have become institutionalised; they appear to be under some misconception that they are of some importance.

AC

I had the same problem a few years ago when I wanted to draw a couple thousand in cash from my bank (as was). What a drama the bank went through, a mini lecture from the cashier, my a/c manager then became involved & then finally the manager himself who told me in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to draw that amount of cash I should give the bank notice. :rolleyes:

Considering it was a head office for the area & a business branch to boot I was fuming. Fair enough I told them, I'll give you notice I want to clear my a/c within the next ten minutes. I walked out with several thousands & promptly opened another a/c with a rival bank down the street.

The only thing missing from the Black Horse logo is the Highwayman on it's back. :D

Their philosophy is that once the money is in their vaults it's theirs. They are all smiles saying please & thankyou when you pay money in, preferably by BACS, cheques or DD (that's where they gain the interest during the clearing period). They are loathed when they have to handle cash even more so if it's bagged change.

I had the same problem a few years ago when I wanted to draw a couple thousand in cash from my bank (as was). What a drama the bank went through, a mini lecture from the cashier, my a/c manager then became involved & then finally the manager himself who told me in no uncertain terms that if I wanted to draw that amount of cash I should give the bank notice. :rolleyes:

Considering it was a head office for the area & a business branch to boot I was fuming. Fair enough I told them, I'll give you notice I want to clear my a/c within the next ten minutes. I walked out with several thousands & promptly opened another a/c with a rival bank down the street.

The only thing missing from the Black Horse logo is the Highwayman on it's back. :D

Yup, have experienced the same!

they are like little hitler's...amazing.

What do you want the money for?

Next time that I am asked that question, maybe, I'll say;

for Barrister fees, I am sueing a bank.

AC

I would simply tell them it's none of their business - end of. I must say I have never been asked by anyone at a bank what I wanted the money for or any pressure not to take it out! Weird!

If one is darwing out more than £500;

expect the question;

what is the money for?

Don't use the answer, oh it is for a car, because you will then get the lecture;

Oh, we wouldn't advise on paying cash for a car.

So, up front stage payments for building work;

garden maintenance;

cash for your holiday spending money;

plastic surgery;

Barrister fees;

a night out on the town;

a day at the races;

ones gigalo etc...

AC

From the way she was looking at me..it was as if to say "you've just had this as a refund to your account & now you want to withdraw it and spend it" type of look.

Damn right i do dear...none of your business :mad:

You all seem to be forgetting.. banks dont really like handing out cash, they prefer to create credits and debts in the computers and keep them there... passing from one account/bank/organisation to another...

"They" as in the banks themselves cant create cold hard cash, they can however create debits and credits :-( so I'm sure they are loath for people to extract real money instead of paying on plastic.

S.

I went into aforementioned horsey bank a few weeks ago with the contents of my sons money box to pay into his account - now this money box is actually one of those big old whiskey bottles and contained over £600 mostly in £1 coins and silver.

I had spent hours bagging it in the appropriate amounts in their logoed bags, practically broke my back lugging it down to the bank and when I get to the counter the sarky woman says...

" we only accept 3 bags at a time and none at all on a saturday! you'll have to come back in the week"

Oh you think do you?? WellI dont!!!

I proceeded to stand there and point blank refused to move until they paid the money into my sons account - I think I even used the line "I am a premier customer and pay you £300 a year to maintain my account and I can't now pay money in are you kdding me??"

In the end after the queue got antsy cos they weren't moving anywhere the manager told the cashier to let me pay it in - so I waited for 5 minutes whilst she paid it all in and gave me the receipt then I calmly walked away to the back of the queue stood and filled in a withdrawel slip for the entire amount in my sons account and smiled sweetly as I handed the form back to the same cashier.

:p

• Haha 1

A friend of mine had a slightly different problem, but just as bleddy ridiculous.

Went in to open a current account at a new bank (he's very financially savvy and has eggs in many baskets!), taking ID with him..

Showed his passport, fine. For proof of address he showed them an annual statement of his investments (totalling about £100K) and they wouldn't accept it.

The counter guy said "Have you got anything else, like any kind of benefits letter, mate?"

:eek:

They lost a very wealthy potential customer (presumably because he was in his work gear, he's a builder.)

And this is the kind of staff we are dealing with on here. Sigh.

Elsa x

i remember the bank used to always ask me if i wanted a reciet when i payed cash in then one time they didnt, didnt even think of it at the time, the next day when the cash hadnt gone in i went in to find out why and they said i never paid it in... excuse me wheres my bloody £400 for the holliday gone then.

oh we'll check with the lass but you should have got a reciet, when i explained she never offered on they got antsi and said they always offered one.

fortunatly the £400 then turned up in the back drawer where it hadnt been processed properly and it got paid in the next day

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

i remember the bank used to always ask me if i wanted a reciet when i payed cash in then one time they didnt, didnt even think of it at the time, the next day when the cash hadnt gone in i went in to find out why and they said i never paid it in... excuse me wheres my bloody £400 for the holliday gone then.

oh we'll check with the lass but you should have got a reciet, when i explained she never offered on they got antsi and said they always offered one.

fortunatly the £400 then turned up in the back drawer where it hadnt been processed properly and it got paid in the next day

Always ask for a Receipt!

AC