NHS dental services and charges

Onid
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need a root canal and crown and asked my dentist the difference between NHS and private treatment and was told an NHS root canal costs £90 and has a 40% success rate (success meaning it doesn't have to be redone within a couple of years), but with private treatment (£150) they use better equipment and have a 60% success rate. As for the crown, I can have a base metal NHS crown made in India with a high likelhood of falling out or a private enamel crown that costs twice as much but that is guaranteed for 10 years. Does this sound correct? What a false economy to cover only shoddy work that needs redoing over and over.

Erm actually an NHS root canal cost £46.50 or something and 40% success rate means that you have a 40% chance of not having to have the tooth taken out. Yes it is false economy but til the government sort out NHS dentistry it is something you will have to put up with I'm afraid. I mean how can a system where someone who needs 5 fillings pays the same as someone who only needs one ever work?

Thanks. What I really don't understand though is why they use different equipment for NHS v. private root canals, especially if there's such a big difference in success rates. It sounds to me as if they're just trying to scare me into paying more.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks. What I really don't understand though is why they use different equipment for NHS v. private root canals, especially if there's such a big difference in success rates. It sounds to me as if they're just trying to scare me into paying more.

You cannot buy a Rolls-Royce for the price of a Ford.

The only difference between an NHS crown and a private crown is the materials used. To say that an NHS crown is more likely to fall out or that a private crown can be guarenteed for 10 years is pure male cow droppings. Change dentist.

Cheers

DrT