How do i go about NOT paying charges to welcome

whufc77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today i worked out the full extent of my wf account!

I have come to realise that i missed 4 payments over the course of a 2 year plan. The loan should of finished its final payment back in february. I thought i should extend the payments over a further 4 months. After making payments in March, April, May, and June 09, all payments have been covered which leaves me asking, what shall i do next?

I rang and spoke to my account manager last month and he said that i still owe about £1000. It was a civil conversation and i asked what can i do appart from cancelling the direct debit mandate (and quoting unfair penalty charges that i have recieved back off of the bank).

Fair play to the chap he advised me against this because of the debt on the account, he said write in and we will open negotiations on the account because we (welcome finance) do not want to be left with a bad debt, and of course damaging my credit rating. Not forgetting the harrassment calls etc etc! But im still not to sure think i might cancel the dd, and bite the bullet!

So in a nutshell the charges are in my pocket, not in a financial institution, so how do i go about keeping them this way?

Basically im looking for advice and a letter that i could send them.

Kind Regards

Whufc77

FACUP FINALISTS 06:D !

abbey- (the last fish to fry!)

lloyds tsb- £2458-lba sent 20/7/06

Barclaycard-£580, request sent 20/7/06

Tesco Finance -awaiting statements, !every little helps! 20/7/06

Ask Welcome To Send You A Statement Of Account Explaning How You Owe A Grand When All Payments Have Been Made, Even Though Four Were Late

Creative Accounting Again Me Thinks

Get Them To List All Charges

They Are Required By Law Now To Send An Anual Statement

Just Ask For The Statement To Begin With

Absolutely right postggj

Once you have it, start a clai, to recalim any late payment charges thay might have added (if they have, that is - but how else can you still 'owe' £1k?)

So you guys think that i should cancel my direct debit with them.

100% (nothing more or nothing less)of the loan has been paid back!

So if they ask why have i cancelled my dd, im to ask for a statement of charges relating to the account.?

thanks for your help guys

Whufc77

thank you steven 4064

wfdont actually owe me any charges as of today! (if i cancel the dd before next months payment!

only if i make any further payments to them as of next month. then i will need to chase them! what do you think?

kind regards

whufc77

the easy way to not pay welcome for charges is exactly that - NOT PAY THEM!!

I would write to them saying that you have fulfilled your contractual agreement and have repayed the amount asked and therefore you now require a breakdown of how the £1K figure is comprised.

Personally I wouldn't pay them a penny more - but I am seasoned in the ways of Welcome and know exactly where I stand with them and as I am in litigation with them they are keeping a good distance from me so as not to anger a judge.

You can only do what you think is right but if you pay them you do struggle to get money back

thanks for the advice andie.

Is there any template letter that i could send them just to beef up my knowlege and give them the impression that i know what i am doing.

I am going to cancel the direct debit in place, and hope to explain why in my letter.

kind regards

whufc77

Well i have written to wf this morn and this is what i put in my letter:

Dear Sir

Following the telephone call on the 25th June i feel that I have fulfilled our contractual agreement and have repaid the amount asked and made the appropriate amount of re-payments, and therefore I now require a breakdown of how the £926.70 figure is comprised.

I have cancelled the direct debit in place, and will not enter into negotiation without a full and complete breakdown.

CORRESPONDANCE IS STRICTLY BY LETTER NOT BY MEANS OF THE TELEPHONE!

I look forward to your reply and to a speedy resolution.

Well im off to the post box now, will post the reply here when I get it!

Thanks All

Whufc77

Edited by steven4064
formatting

Dear Sir

Letter to Welcome:

Following the telephone call on the 25th June i feel that I have fulfilled our contractual agreement and have repaid the amount asked and made the appropriate amount of re-payments, and therefore I now require a breakdown of how the £926.70 figure is comprised.

I have cancelled the direct debit in place, and will not enter into negotiation without a full and complete breakdown.

Edited by steven4064
formatting

Hello,

I'm going through the same thing at the minute.

My car HP was due to be paid off in February. I ring them for a closing balance thinking it'd be a few hundred with the 'option fee' you pay at the end......imagine my shock when I'm told I owe over 2K!

I have asked for statements throughout my agreement term and I never recieved them till the term had elapsed- funny that?

From what I've read here it seems Welcome are in the habit of witholding customer statements. Probably because they don't want their customers to contest any charges/fees until the eleventh hour, by which time Welcome would hope the account would be paid up and there'd be precious little the consumer can do about getting the charges back.

It's against the OFT rules to withold statements.

One WF memeber of staff told me on the phone (on my children's lives!!!!!) she was looking on the system and could see my requests for statements.

Then Head office later said they have no record of my request for statements!

Basically they're saying it's my word against theirs.

I called MANY times during the term asking for statements.

As you can imagine, when the statement arrived after the term elapsed it was littered with charges of all kinds- no wonder they didn't want me to see it.

It appeared every time I made a payment, they would whack something on to get the balance straight back up again.

Some of my telephone call and letter charges were applied several times in one day which is pathetic. Anyone can see this is needless greed!

At the minute I have stopped all payment on the account and taken it to the f.o.s.

I did this at the end of February and we still have no resolution at the minute because the f.o.s is snowed under.

I cancelled my DD because like you, I don't want my hard earned (and in short supply) cash lining their greedy pockets needlessly and then having hell on earth to try and get any back I'd overpaid.

WF claim they're still adding interest and charges on as long as the dispute goes on and they have sent letters and telephoned me repeatedly, charging me for these.

I wrote to them reminding them they can't chase a debt in dispute (as per OFT rules) and telling them I'd reported them to Trading standards, which I have done.

I also told them I would take legal action for harrassment.

Since then I've heard nothing.

I'm sure they will be having fun adding charge after charge onto the account as the dispute is in place.

But if the f.o.s advice isn't in my favour I intend to take Welcome to Court.

I'm not sure how it'll work with the f.o.s.

Some of the advice they've given me so far has been rubbish.

One lad from f.o.s told me WF were allowed to continue to chase the debt when in dispute, but the OFT rule that this is not allowed.

I don't think things will go in my favour so I am considering my next course of action.

Whatever happens it'll be a long arguement.

Welcome won't negotiate a fair settlement with me. If they did I would think about paying this to draw a line under it all and get rid of the bloodsuckers.

All they have managed was to send me a notice saying my debt was seriously overdue but if I paid £900 in 10 days it would be paid off.

Now where am I going to come up with £900 in 10 days????????????????????

According to my calculations I believe I only owe around £595.

So they CAN negotiate deals that suit THEM but aren't prepared to negotiate fairly- totally unreasonable!

If I was you I would cancel all payments to them and do not pay a penny more.

Send all your letters recorded delivery and tell them you will only deal in writing with Head Office only.

If they harrass you I would send a letter to the branch harrassing you and to Head Office telling them it is against the OFT's rules to chase a debt in dispute and that you will not tolerate their harrassment.

Should you recieve any further uneccesary contact you will report them to trading standards and speak to your family solicitor.

Don't take any of their telephone calls.

They will still call you as they have done to me but this is no good as telephone calls are considered 'hearsay' unless recorded.

I'm not sure about the rules on recording telephone conversations- I think you have to let them know you're recording.

But not everybody has recording facilities so writing is the best way I think.

Good luck with it.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with your case.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys

Advice needed with the situation with welcome finance.

I have sent this letter 4 times since june, but the morons at welcome finance still dont get it! every time i recieve a call, and i reply 'have you got my letter? then it goes quiet for a bit they make there apologies (because they have not recieved it) then hang up. i then send in another letter!

Every other month i get somebody new (a moron) who works for WF asking me what the problem is?

As of yet i have had no written reply, but i have recieved a default notice on the 19th November 2009 saying that i owe £1115.36

I thought that they can not serve the notice as my account is in dispute untill they write back to me and explain?

My letter that they should of recieved 4 times over clearly states this in its reading.

Also after recalculating my payments i have realised that i am 1 payment short of my account,i had only made 23 not 24, mind you i did try and work all this out while i was having radiotherepy and chemotherapy on a brain tumour, that i was diagnosed 2 years before taking the loan.

Another thing is that i see on my original contract that i was missold PPI, the moron from WF did not ask about any medical conditions that i had, and so he could not have explained that i would not be covered under any previous illnesses etc.

I look forward to all of your replies

Kind regards

Whufc77:???:

well start the claim for mis-sold PPI straight away and ensure you claim the premium plus the interest paid and then add the statutory 8% interest on top of that too.

Did you send your letters recorded delivery and do you have proof of the signature? if you do then you can quote these to them. they are just using it as a stalling tactic.

if you did send recorded, then in the next letter copy all the proof of signature bits and post office receipts, and put in the letter that you wish to claim back the cost of the postage too.

if they take too long to sort it, start adding interest to the postage costs as well.

• 1 year later...

The bar stewards at WF have passed the debt onto McKenziehall. I received a phone call sometime last year from MH requesting fullpayment of the charges implied to my account. I kindly told the rep that theaccount was in dispute since 23rdJune 2009. I also explained that I have 5 times requested by letter a fullbreakdown of charges, but as of today have not received anything other than a full statement for which I could not make head nor tail of thecharges.

I receive a phone calland letter every month without fail requesting full payment from MH or somesort of instalment schedule. Also justchecked my credit history and for the past 2 years or so they have reported 6 months late on every month that has passedto date!

I need to know where do I stand on clarity of charges (am I rightto request full breakdown of charges, and not accept the confusing fullstatement)?

If I am right can I take this to the FOS ?

I will upload the statements later.

Kind Regards

Whufc77

The bar stewards at WF have passed the debt onto McKenziehall. I received a phone call sometime last year from MH requesting fullpayment of the charges implied to my account. I kindly told the rep that theaccount was in dispute since 23rdJune 2009. I also explained that I have 5 times requested by letter a fullbreakdown of charges, but as of today have not received anything other than a full statement for which I could not make head nor tail of thecharges.

I receive a phone calland letter every month without fail requesting full payment from MH or somesort of instalment schedule. Also justchecked my credit history and for the past 2 years or so they have reported 6 months late on every month that has passedto date!

I need to know where do I stand on clarity of charges (am I rightto request full breakdown of charges, and not accept the confusing fullstatement)?

If I am right can I take this to the FOS ?

I will upload the statements later.

Kind Regards

Whufc77

I think you may run the risk of being seen as unreasonable.

Question: Have you actually gone through the statement and created a list of the charges and interest? Is the total of charges and interest close to the £1,000.00 extra?

Perhaps you could get as close as you can and then write to them with complaint/claim for those charges. If there is anything else remaingin ask them to explain the difference.

Granted they may not explain the charges or provide a breakdown, but they have given you the statements. I can imagine a reasonable person (or judge) might ask why you didnt just total up what you believe to be unfair and then make your claim or dispute.

If you need help figuring out the statement, you could post up a copy (removing personal info) and I will have a look at it for you.

In my experience, WFS will refund many of the charges, but until you claim them back officially, you wont know where you stand.

Please overlook my typos and spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers arent in sync with my brain :)

I am just a consumer and have no legal training. My posts are opinion only, based on my own limited experience. If in doubt you should seek legal advice from a qualified practitioner.

Activ Kapital - Disputed £4,000.00 - 04/04/2011 Settled! WON!

HSBC Current Account - Defaulted for £200.00 Charges. - 19/05/2011 Charges Refunded Default Removed! WON!

HSBC Loan Account - £16,000.00 Unsecured Loan - 05/07/2011 Disputed No Further Contact WON! (for Now)

Barclaycard Account - Disputed account and £1500.00 Charges. - 18/07/2011 Charges Refunded! WON!

London Scottisht - Disputed account and Charges. £25,000.00 - 06/2011 Balance reduced by 95% WON!

Thank you for taking the time to help me MrZ.

I have uploaded the statements i recieved last week as you can see below. I have extensivly checked all payments with my bank statements and can Reconfirm that i have only paid 23 out of 24 contractual payments.

whoops.

I am yet to reclaim the Lifecare 24 Migrated, added to the loan in secret, which i believe to be a form of ppi. i really hope that i have not shot myself in the foot and have delt with this situation half correctly.

Please help kind regards WHUFC77

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/whufc77/statementno3.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/whufc77/statementno2.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/whufc77/statementno1.jpg

Edited by whufc77

Thank you for taking the time to help me MrZ.

I have uploaded the statements i recieved last week as you can see below. I have extensivly checked all payments with my bank statements and can Reconfirm that i have only paid 23 out of 24 contractual payments.

whoops.

I am yet to reclaim the Lifecare 24 Migrated, added to the loan in secret, which i believe to be a form of ppi. i really hope that i have not shot myself in the foot and have delt with this situation half correctly.

Please help kind regards WHUFC77

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/whufc77/statementno3.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/whufc77/statementno2.jpg

http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww98/whufc77/statementno1.jpg

I've had a look at the statements. A few things to note regarding my figures.

1. There is no interest rate on the statement so I have no idea if the interest is correct or not. Welcome usually get the interest right, so I will assume the same in this case.

2. The statement was date March 2009 with the last payment made February 2009.

Here is what I have found.

1. Total amount debited to your account to include the loan, interest, extra fees, etc. - £3,358.64

2. Total amount paid by you over the term - £2,757.00

3. Difference between what was debited and what was paid - £601.64

4. Total of payments missed during the statement period (Aug. 07, Sept. 07, Feb. 08, Mar. 08) - £580.40

5. You say you have since made the 4 missed payments. Based on this statement, that would leave £24.24 unpaid.

If they are saying you owe £1000.00 odd then you need to ask where the defference of £980.00 odd comes from.

One further note, of the figure in number 1 above, £120.00 is comprised of fees. There will be interest added to those fees as well, but I dont know how much as there is no interest rate specified.

In my experience, Welcome will not refund any fee less than £12.00, as their position is that the 12.00 "threshold" is fair. They will refund the difference though. So if you have a £20.00 charge you can expect they will offer to refund £8.00 of it.

At any rate, you can compare my numbers with yours and see if they are both in the same range. You will need an up to date statement reflecting all charges and payments before claiming. You can get this by sending a request under the CCA and enclosing the fee of £1.00.

The statement should show exactly where the extra £980.00 comes from, if it doesnt they need to explain the difference.

Edited by MrZ

Please overlook my typos and spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers arent in sync with my brain :)

I am just a consumer and have no legal training. My posts are opinion only, based on my own limited experience. If in doubt you should seek legal advice from a qualified practitioner.

Activ Kapital - Disputed £4,000.00 - 04/04/2011 Settled! WON!

HSBC Current Account - Defaulted for £200.00 Charges. - 19/05/2011 Charges Refunded Default Removed! WON!

HSBC Loan Account - £16,000.00 Unsecured Loan - 05/07/2011 Disputed No Further Contact WON! (for Now)

Barclaycard Account - Disputed account and £1500.00 Charges. - 18/07/2011 Charges Refunded! WON!

London Scottisht - Disputed account and Charges. £25,000.00 - 06/2011 Balance reduced by 95% WON!