HSBC Exceeding overdraft fees

pduk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There,

I'm new here, unfortunately because I need some advice! :)

I bank with HSBC after moving from Lloyds TSB. I opened a current account advance and received an overdraft (which I never asked for, albeit I have been using it).

I recently had a blunder at work where my salaries (multiple jobs) went to the wrong bank. Blissfully unaware of this, I started my usual monthly spend, until I went online and noticed I am going to get charged for an 'Informal Overdraft Arrangement Fee' to the tune of £50.

After investigation, I noticed that I went overdrawn, then salary A went in (not much), then I went overdrawn again, then salary B went in (much more). So basically, overdrawn twice (within 3 days of each other).

I'm quite shocked here at the wording of this penalty, but also that the man at the bank on the phone says we've done you a favour by not rejecting your DDs and card transactions, and that's a service you need to pay for.

Not sure what to do about this, if I can indeed do anything, but on the 12th of July i'm going to be robbed of £50.

Is there any action I can take to reclaim this?

Thanks in advance.

PD

If it's only £50 and it's the first time it has happened then I would ring the bank and explain the situation.If you get lucky they might refund you the money back.

Im not sure if your aware, but at the moment there is a court case going on between the oft and a few major banks regarding overdraft fees.

OFT Test Case - Consumer Wiki

If you dont get any joy then come back here for the next step :D

Hi pduk , welcome to the forum :)

As lee says , for first time charges of this sort , the banks have been known to make a 'goodwill' (one-off) refund . The local manager has authority to do this , so it might be worth popping in (if you can ) rather than phoning ....... face to face is usually more productive than a faceless clerk saying "they're doing you a favour ,and you should be glad of it" :rolleyes:.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Thanks for the input!

I'll go to the bank tomorrow with my sad face and see where it gets me!

Other than that, I take it it's not a good idea to get 'cocky' and start quoting things such as 'this is an unreasonable charge' when there is this ongoing case?

Thanks again

Hiya pduk :)

For one off small amounts the branch manager has the discretion to reverse the charge but it is his discretion... so the order of the day is sorry face and it was a once only event that was out of your control and you will make sure it will never happen again type apologies :).

If he still says no (and some do) then we can point you in the right direction to getting your money back through the claim route :)

pete