• Tweets

• See what the latest data on school suspensions tells us about the UK education system and early intervention.View the full article
    • The world's largest economy grew less than expected but rising inflation may delay a rate cut.View the full article
    • Hello, Following the submission of my defense, last night I received an email from DCBL indicating that the claimant intends to proceed with the claim (I've attached a screenshot of the email for reference) along with the N180 directions questionnaire. I'm unsure how they obtained my email, but I suspect it was through the courts' form when I completed the Acknowledgment of Service. This email almost slipped my attention. I have also today received a letter from court to state they have received my defense.  It appears they are requesting an online telephone hearing with the court. Could you please advise me on the necessary steps I should take at this point? Thank you for your assistance. Letter-Email 25-04-24.pdf N180 - Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track).pdf
    • Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

County Court Claim papers recieved - help requested

Smiles080
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Hopefully this is in the right place. I have today received a claim from Northampton County Court about a debt owed to Nationwide. It is a bank account which had a £1000 overdraft. I was regularly under and over that limit and accrued some charges. They refunded them when i complained and then they stopped refunding them so i just walked away and moved my banking elsewhere.

Particulars of Claim (from the form)

"The claimants claim is for the balance due under an agreement which is now all due and payable.

The defendant agreed to pay montly instalments under account number xxx but has failed to do so.

And the claimant claims the sum of £2211.88

The claimant also claims interest thereon pursuant to s69 county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to 176.95"

The amount over the agreed £1000 overdraft is made up of bank charges and interest.

What do i do ? Can i defend the excess, ie the figure after the £1000 which is made up of bank charges. Can i dispute the figures ? Can i ask for a stay as the house of lords ruling is not out yet and the result could affect my defence ? I have not sent a CCA request as i beleive they probably have the agreement as i only opened up bank account fairly recently (3 years)

I don't know if its relevant (i think it is) but the letter was addressed to and the defendants name is MRS xx xx and i am definitely a MR (well, the last time i looked). For a while i have received letters addressed to Mrs xx xx but not acknowledged them.

I would really appreciate some help.

Many thanks

£35 for a £2.50 process is the same as someone charging £2.80 for a can of coke. Would YOU pay it ? They have lied, cheated and bullied us for too long. Join the action group, stand up and FIGHT.;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are busy I got mine on Friday! Heres my thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/205426-nationwide-carolan78-2.html

I have acknowledge the papers denying the debt and intend to fight it as all debt on my acoount is charges (I only had a basic flex accoutn that couldn't go overdrawn supposidly). If you have all your statements work out all the charges and interest on those charges you have ever had on the account, fight them and counter claim for the charges back.

If you can't work it out and need statements send off a subject access reqest today (make sure it is special delivery) it will cost you £10, this take upto 40 days. If it is not back in time for the defence going in I am certain somebody here will help you further.

• Haha 1

The amount over the agreed £1000 overdraft is made up of bank charges and interest.

What do i do ? Can i defend the excess, ie the figure after the £1000 which is made up of bank charges.

I think that Nationwide must have taken a new person to deal with these matters.

By issuing claims for matters which are clearly comprised of bank charges, nationwide are simply building a trap themselves and then walking into it.

You will have to defend and then make a counterclaim. It will be very easy and it will stop them in their tracks and also you will begin the process of getting your money back.

These people really are stupid. They spend all of this money on debt collection in litigation -- yet we are on the eve of the final judgement in the bank charges farce which is almost certainly going to be decided against the banks. This also means that the banks will be put to the expense of having to repay their money. Nationwide are simply wasting their resources here and doing nothing to improve their reputation amongst their customers. surely there must be somebody responsible at the nationwide who is able to make a rational business decision. Maybe not.

You say that theamount over the agreed overdraft is comprised of bank charges. When you say this it shows that you don't really understand the bank charges situation. The fact is that your overdraft is comprised of bank charges and this means that you don't owe them any money at all, they owe it to you. (This assumes that your charges are at least equal to your overdraft). In that case all of the interest they are charged you on the overdraft is actually being charged on your own money and you will claim this back as well. Please do consult the thread which the previous user has flagged up for you because you are in exactly the same situation and you should follow the instructions there very closely.

Have you got all the details of the charges which you have paid over the years? If not, then send them an SAR straightaway.

Your claim has been issued out of Northampton using money claim online. Go to the money claim website and acknowledge the claim. You must do this straightaway. This will then give you up to 28 days from the date of the summons to put in a defence. By the time you put in your defence, the date for the return of your personal data from the nationwide will be almost up. We will help you put in a holding defence and then when your personal data arrives we will help you put in a proper defence and a full counterclaim which will then put you in a good position.

Please will you contact me on the admin e-mail address for a useful little chat about this. Ta

Thank you a lot.

Will do the MCOL stuff acknowledging reciept and counterclaiming, but see below, the defendant is a MRS(their error not mine) and i am a MR

Will do the subject access request now and post tomorrow.

Does the fact that the letters and court papers arrived to a MRS xx xx not matter ? That person does not even exist !

Cant find a link to the admin email address for a chat !!

thanks again

£35 for a £2.50 process is the same as someone charging £2.80 for a can of coke. Would YOU pay it ? They have lied, cheated and bullied us for too long. Join the action group, stand up and FIGHT.;)

Only do your Acknowledgment for now and it asks you for your title so just put Mr and fill in the rest. Do your defence about 7 days before it is due so you have given them some time to try and get the SAR to you. What date were the court papers issued?

The Mr and Mrs mix up is not relevant and will not help you or hinder them. Don't be distracted by it.

Send me the email with a phone number if you can.

Ta

• Haha 1

thankyou carolan78 and bank fodder,

papers issued to me 19th June. I have done the MCOL bit acknowledging service and informing of my intention to defend the whole claim. I have today posted SAR to NatW with £10 postal order payable to Nationwide Building Society.

Hope this is all correct

thanks again for de help.

Thx 2 both.

I have also done the £2 experian credit record request and that will be in my hands within 7 days. Bring them on

• 2 weeks later...

1 - experian credit check arrived. current account - started 11/05 default £343 defualted 06/08 status 8

credit/store card started 11/05 default £1875 defaulted 07/08 credit limit £2100 balance £2383

2- letter from bryan carter

dear mrs xxxx

we have issued proceedings against you for recovery of this debt but you failed to respond with either reasons as to why the debt is disputed or with proposals for payment.

unless we hear from you we will take steps to enter judgement against ytou

if you subsequently fail to pay tehjudgement within a prescrobed time period it will be entered on your credit file and may seriously affetc your abililty to obtain crediyt in future

once we have obntained judgement we will seek to enforce the judgement by either instructing baliffsd to take possession of your property or by applying for an attachment of earnings ort we may ask the court to make an order to secure the debt by obtaining a charge over your home

---me - do i reply to this or ignore, presumably ignore as it is in the court process ?

excuse some spellings just rattled it off

thx

Ignore Bryan Carters as long as you have acknowledged the claim via the courts your fine. Just make sure you have filed a defense before the 28 days are up. Will PM and let you know when I am filing incase they look at this forum lol

3 - i have also received a letter from Nationwide re my sar it is from one of their data privacy analysts

dear mr xxx

thx 4 letter and fee/

the law allows 40 days for sar to be completed.

your address is coming up as no trace which means one or more items have been retuirned. for security of your information we will when the info is ready send it to your local branch for collection. please can you let me know which branch is the most convenient ?

---me - an interesting letter as my address is no trace ?? funny how they managed to send all my statements and cards and dca letters to the same address. presumably i need to reply telling them which branch ?

(note to bankfodder, the last line of my sar says "I would be happy to collect the Data from my local branch" - it might be an idea to update this so that people can insert the branch where they are happy to collect from.)

my original court papers were sent 19th june, do i need to enter a defence yet as i dont think i will be receiving my sar info by the time the 28 days runs out

many thanks, ta

thx carolan, the letter also said private and confidential. does it matter that i am re-producing some it on here ?..thx, i have subscribed to your thread so i can keep up..thx again

Does anybody know what i need to put in my defence, which i am going to do on the 10th July...many thanks in advance..x

have just sent them the letter from your thread, thx a lot, sent it recorded as well...cheers

i think i may have erred, most of the debt for nationwide i think is made up of my own spending on a credit card, i thought it was my main account, and i think very little is charges however i wont know this until i recieve my sar. What defence can i submit (has to be done wed 15th i am told) to get more time until i get the date from them. any help would be greatfully received. thanks

Is there no charges at all on your credit card account? Also I would be tempted to say the charges on your nationwide account gave you no choice but to use the card. I am sure someone can help you word it better.

Particulars of Claim (from the form)

"The claimants claim is for the balance due under an agreement which is now all due and payable.

The defendant agreed to pay montly instalments under account number xxx but has failed to do so.

And the claimant claims the sum of £2211.88

The claimant also claims interest thereon pursuant to s69 county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date hereof at the rate of 8% per annum amounting to 176.95"

Doesn't say in there what account it is for, you have already shown you are unsure what it is they are claiming, whether card/account, how the total is made up etc. Is the account number elsewhere on the form ?

You need to enter a holding defence and a request for further information under CPR alongside the DPA request. Someone will be able to help you with that.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

carolan78 - there *probably* are charges, but they are *probably* only the £12 ones (although i personally would still argue that £12 represents a profit (on a penalty) as i have seen independant banking executives discuss the real cost to the banks as £2.50. The fact that the banks generally really pee'd me off by reducing hours of local branch, lying to me, providing dubious service levels, not fixing inoperative ATM's and then ripping me off to the tune of about £35 for every charge on my current accounts and not having the moral ruddy decency to admit they had been caught with their hands in the cookie charge and fighting it all the way to the house of lords purely on the basis of profit...sorry rant over..i need a holding defence, is there a standard one you know of ?

thx

yourbank, thx for your time, There was an account number and as you say i need a holding defence, will peruse the site some more..thx

If this was a game of poker between me n the banks then my play is.....i call your raise and i am all in baby, all ruddy in.....

Is there a general holding defence as i am waiting for my SAR info to be returned, they stalled using the no-trace letter ?

Is it too late to ask them to provide me with the original CCA for my credit card ?

Date of court papers was 19th June so i think i need to post the defence by friday 17th at the very latest...

Bankfodder - you asked me to pm you when it gets near to defence submitting time however i get this

BankFodder has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

thx

Smile you can try to argue you wouldn't have had to use your credit card if they didn't have x amount of YOUR money they took illegally via bank charges on your current account. You can still counter claim.

Can't help you with a defence on it I am afraid maybe someone with more experiance will come along and help.

I have just received a letter from the court saying there has been a judgement for the claimant. I thought i had 28 days to prepare my defence and that isnt up until 17th July, i think. The MCOL site says the following

A claim was issued against you on 19 June 2009.

Your Acknowledgment of Service was submitted on 24 June 2009.

A judgment was entered against you on 14 July 2009

If you count 28 days from 19 June it comes out as 17th July, how can they enter a judgement on the 14th ?????

What do i do now, any thoughts ? I am going to phone the court right now

I am typing this in case it helps someone in a similiar position.

They think there may have been an error and i have to send an email to [email protected] attaching proof of acknowlegment of service with a covering letter to the post judgement manager stating the full 28 days were not up and asking for the judgement to be set aside.

anyone got any thoughts ?