You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

hartigan

Wrong electric meter for over 6-7 years

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4003 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before.

I have a good friend who has just found out that their electric meter is actually connected to the wrong flat and that their own electric meter is around 20,000 digits less. Furthermore, my friend has been in the place SINCE it was built.

Unfortunately for this friend, they changed to BRITISH GAS from EDF last year as they thought it would help with their increasing rising costs.

Because of this however, British Gas say that they will only rebate for the year that they took over (pro rata'd to an articifial unit per day average subject to negotiation) and want my friend to contact EDF to get a rebate for the rest of the years. It sounds like to me that they are passing the buck and want an easy solution to a complicated problem.

Is this the right way around? I mean who's responsibility was all of this? This is a complete mess.

I hope someone can help quick. It really is stressing my friend out.

Thanks alot! :)

It sounds fair to me, since EDF have had the majority of the benefits of your friend paying higher bills due to their mistake they would be liable up to the point of transfer.

BG cannot be held responsible for the actions or inactions of another supplier.

Your friend would seem on the balance of it to have a claim against EDF, especially since BG have actually confirmed that there is a mistake and that it existed prior to them taking over the account.

BG have done the right thing in accepting liability from the point that they took over ownership of the account. They have also done your friend a favour in confirming the liability is shared by EDF

It's not like EDF can turn around and state that a. there is no problem or b. they aren't liable

I would suggest that you friend conducts this process via written correspondence, it's altogether less stressful and since they will be putting their denials in writing, they will be more inclined not to tell porkies to put your friend off. Don't be too surprised if your friend has to take this all the way to small claims, they may not simply roll over and pay up.

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

Thank you for the speedy response. I guess my friend is just agitated that they moved to BG for a cheaper rate, and is now losing out on money because BG took over...

Stressful times ahead from them I'm sure!!

Hi,

I think I may have the same problem but I'm not sure how to prove it. My gas meter is definitely mixed up with next door's because I can see the pipe and follow it round. I have no idea how to find out/prove that my electricity and water meters are the wrong way round too.

How did your friend find out?

I've been living in the property 3 years, since it was built (along with next door). Annoyingly, in that time I've also changed energy provider (though I'm guessing next door haven't) so I may end up with a similar problem to your friend!

Lizzy.

turn it off!

that will prove it!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

How do you turn off a meter?

I agree, that you should go back to EDF to get them to re imburse your friend

How do you turn off a meter?

all gas meters must have a stop cock by them.

lever with yellow label.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Thanks, but gas it the only one I can follow round and I know it's wrong - it's the water and electricity I need to find out about. I guess I just need to stop using electricity/water and see if the meter reading changes (and hope that someone's in and using their supply next door!).

turn of electric, switch next to meter or in the house and if meter not going round thats yours! as for water just run a tap if meter flying around thats yours!

Thanks, I'll have a go this evening, though I'll have to hunt for my water meter first!

Well I turned off next door's electricity meter - and all my electricity went off. So I've just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a lovely man at N Power who's going to start the long process of sorting out the mess. The correct meter is around 1000 less than I've paid for so I'm hoping for a nice big refund!

Oddly enough, they actually had got the gas meter right though, after I double-checked the meter number with the one on the bill.

I can't find my water meter for the life of me though!

If you have a water meter it will be outside your property in pavement or verge where the external stop cock is, maybe in a group with the other proprties ones.

I emailed Thames Water and they've given me specific directions to find my water meter so I'll have a look when I get home this evening.