Wrong electric meter for over 6-7 years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before.

I have a good friend who has just found out that their electric meter is actually connected to the wrong flat and that their own electric meter is around 20,000 digits less. Furthermore, my friend has been in the place SINCE it was built.

Unfortunately for this friend, they changed to BRITISH GAS from EDF last year as they thought it would help with their increasing rising costs.

Because of this however, British Gas say that they will only rebate for the year that they took over (pro rata'd to an articifial unit per day average subject to negotiation) and want my friend to contact EDF to get a rebate for the rest of the years. It sounds like to me that they are passing the buck and want an easy solution to a complicated problem.

Is this the right way around? I mean who's responsibility was all of this? This is a complete mess.

I hope someone can help quick. It really is stressing my friend out.

Thanks alot! :)

It sounds fair to me, since EDF have had the majority of the benefits of your friend paying higher bills due to their mistake they would be liable up to the point of transfer.

BG cannot be held responsible for the actions or inactions of another supplier.

Your friend would seem on the balance of it to have a claim against EDF, especially since BG have actually confirmed that there is a mistake and that it existed prior to them taking over the account.

BG have done the right thing in accepting liability from the point that they took over ownership of the account. They have also done your friend a favour in confirming the liability is shared by EDF

It's not like EDF can turn around and state that a. there is no problem or b. they aren't liable

I would suggest that you friend conducts this process via written correspondence, it's altogether less stressful and since they will be putting their denials in writing, they will be more inclined not to tell porkies to put your friend off. Don't be too surprised if your friend has to take this all the way to small claims, they may not simply roll over and pay up.

Thank you for the speedy response. I guess my friend is just agitated that they moved to BG for a cheaper rate, and is now losing out on money because BG took over...

Stressful times ahead from them I'm sure!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I think I may have the same problem but I'm not sure how to prove it. My gas meter is definitely mixed up with next door's because I can see the pipe and follow it round. I have no idea how to find out/prove that my electricity and water meters are the wrong way round too.

How did your friend find out?

I've been living in the property 3 years, since it was built (along with next door). Annoyingly, in that time I've also changed energy provider (though I'm guessing next door haven't) so I may end up with a similar problem to your friend!

Lizzy.

turn it off!

that will prove it!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How do you turn off a meter?

all gas meters must have a stop cock by them.

lever with yellow label.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks, but gas it the only one I can follow round and I know it's wrong - it's the water and electricity I need to find out about. I guess I just need to stop using electricity/water and see if the meter reading changes (and hope that someone's in and using their supply next door!).

Well I turned off next door's electricity meter - and all my electricity went off. So I've just spent 20 minutes on the phone with a lovely man at N Power who's going to start the long process of sorting out the mess. The correct meter is around 1000 less than I've paid for so I'm hoping for a nice big refund!

Oddly enough, they actually had got the gas meter right though, after I double-checked the meter number with the one on the bill.

I can't find my water meter for the life of me though!