Nco Threatening Legal Action

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

My Husband owed Yellow pages about £700 for an advert back in 2007 - due to him being out of work, we were unable to afford to pay it (we also faced repo, but thats a happy story for another day!)

Anyhoo, NCO took over the debt and my Husband agreed to pay them £40 a month. He has been doing this to date (bar the odd late payment.) However, the debt is now down to £348! He has been contaced by NCO who have told him that as the debt is under £500, they will now be "aggresively" (their words, not mine) seeking the full amount.......which we dont have! They have now sent my Husband a letter saying that the debt will be passed onto a solicitor S.C Leatham-Locke who will pursue us through court for the remaining figure (even though we are paying them £40 a month, can they do this?) I dont think I could stand another court hearing.

My Husband called them today to try and resolve the matter - "MR ROberts" infact turned out not to be MR ROberts, who was rude to my Husband and told him he couldnt speak to a manager. 2nd call - Husband spoke to another man, again my Husband requested to speak to a manager - he was told with a laugh that it "wasnt going to happen", my Husband then mentioned he had every right to speak to the manager under the statutory rights act 1976 - the man laughed and told my Husband he was making it up and hung up! 3rd call - another person who was rude and hung up on my Husband, 4th call - my husband requested to be put through to a manager staright away - answer was "sure, whats it regarding?" my husband said it was to complain about the last 3 people he had spoken to, the person then said "it was me you spoke to earlier and if you think im putting you through to a manager, your wrong, goodbye!" then hung up!!!!! Im outraged and also worried that we will end up in court again! I would be grateful for any advice!

Firstly stop speaking to these clowns on the phone & refuse to answer security questions if they ring you.

They have no legal powers to money off you, only a county court does.

So stop all payments immediately, demand a full refund & report them to the OFT/trading standards.

I appreciate what your saying but easier said than done when the are threatening court action, can they do that if they have been paid every month? Is this under £500 aggresive seeking behaviour normal? I have been sent to court 3 times by nationwide back in 2007 (I have dmp but nationwide wanted blood instead of cash) so Im familiar with how it happens (although most of it has been blocked out now)

Can they take us to court?

I appreciate what your saying but easier said than done when the are threatening court action, can they do that if they have been paid every month? Is this under £500 aggresive seeking behaviour normal? I have been sent to court 3 times by nationwide back in 2007 (I have dmp but nationwide wanted blood instead of cash) so Im familiar with how it happens (although most of it has been blocked out now)

Can they take us to court?

DCA's threaten court all the time, its in their nature to do so - fact is that they very rarely step foot anywhere near such a place as it would cost them money to do so & wouldnt be worth their while just to get back £1 per month if lucky.

They will simply threaten,lie,cheat & bully you into paying up.

Tyvm! :D I will be putting in a complaint! :p

Nationwide must be the vampires of the debt world - I tried to resolve with them but they took me to court instead (horrible people)

Thanks for info + advice on NCO

The fact that you ve been paying them as much/and for a long as you have simply means they see you as an easy target & will apply the maximum pressure on you in order to get more money out of you.

The minute you stop & tell them to get stuffed, they will soon give up & go away.

Yes you will receive more threatograms threatening hell fire...but thats all it will be, threats - not worth the paper its printed on.

who the hell are NCO.

1 DO NOT SPEAK TO THESE PEOPLE ON THE PHONE AGAIN.

2 ASK THEM TO PROVE THE DEBT WHAT IS IT MADE UP OFF

3 THEY will be acting on behalf of yellow pages write to them ask them for a statment of account

4 Settle with yellow pages do not deal with these people

GOLDEN RULE DO NOT SPEAK TO NCO AGAIN.

If this relates to Yellow Pages advertising, it will be a commercial debt, and the usual rules may not apply. It would be useful to know whether the advert was placed by OP's husband as a sole trader, partner or limited company, and if that status has now changed.

However, do not speak to them on the phone. If they call, refuse to answer any security questions and tell them to put what they want to say in writing.

Letters from S C Leatham-Locke are likely to come from NCO; it's just another letterhead they use. As Mr.Ton says, the current pressure is standard stuff with them - some phone monkey will probably get more commission if they can bully someone into settling the whole amount.

Write to them saying that you require all communication to be in writing.

Agree,a scare tactic just to see if they can get the money in now.

In my own dealings with them, I found that they get a bit panicky if you send them a formal written complaint, ask for a copy of their complaints policy and copy the letter to the OFT.

Don't see why they should have all the fun.

David

Agree,a scare tactic just to see if they can get the money in now.

In my own dealings with them, I found that they get a bit panicky if you send them a formal written complaint, ask for a copy of their complaints policy and copy the letter to the OFT.

Don't see why they should have all the fun.

David

Yes and pass it back to there client:)

SC Leathem Locke is well known for allowing his name to be used by a few DCAs in an attempt to scare you.

NCO are getting greedy so personally what I would now do if you want to continue paying them is reduce your monthly payment to £ 10 per month. Tell them that following the intervention by their threat monkeys that you have realised this is all you can afford.

They will NOT take you to court as you are paying them monthly and they would look like the greedy barstewards they are for trying to force you to pay more than you can afford.

Do NOT speak to these muppets on the phone. Keep everything in writing

Thank you all so much! I will definately be putting in a complaint. My Husband put the advert on as a sole trader and no longer trades due to no work.

Do these people actually sleep at night? I will be writing a letter forthwith and also a copy to OFT :D as you say, why should they have all the fun! :D Cheers peeps

You have to remember that the people who work for DCAs are to thick to even get a job in Macdonalds so they have to work for a DCA. Its suits them to be arrogant and bully people down a phone line because telling lies and intimidating comes easy to them. If you met these people in the real world they would probably pee their pants when faced with someone who knowd their rights.

They are driven by sheer greed so as they can make a few quid to go out with their pre pubescent mates and get drunk on a half bottle of WKD as they cruise around in their Saxos and Corsas.

One day they will have a reality check and we will all be their to laugh.