Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

 

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

 

 

BankFodder BankFodder

 

BankFodder BankFodder


  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Ok thanks guys for all the help & advice I think I will go the DRO option but will open a new bank account somewhere else first etc.  The only other things im little worried about is reading on the DRO it says about I wont be able to apply for credit but what about things like my car insurance as thats classed as credit paying it monthly Plus they say i must not have assets or car worth over £1,000 so what about things like my car worth around 2.5k and as said before when my father passed away he left me his camper that I cant part with its worth about 4k and what about things in house and jewellery etc ?? Can they come to house and check and so on
    • threads merged  please keep to one thread per issue.   dx  
    • read it proprly.. it doesn't say WILL anything and original creditors don't do court as they don't want the judge delving into their business model nor the bad publicity.   as for the FOS you just have to let it run. yours is a very short time since yo put it into them typically it always takes 6-9mts normally before they move on anything though they usually send you an ACK they have the complaint.        
    • Since the last post on this thread I have sent a complaint to the FOS but have not heard anything from them as yet either, I'm guessing they're rather snowed under and on reduced staff so no real surprise.   Still had nothing approaching help from lending stream but today they emailed me default notices for the loans, again demanding I phone them and pay up in full or they will begin court proceedings.   Any advice as to how I should proceed please?
    • Hi,   I received two PCNs in October 2019 from Havering Council. All the below applies to both PCNs, as the correspondences were at the same time:   Fast forward to February 2020, I file witness statements on grounds that I made representations within 28 days but did not receive a rejection notice.   The TEC cancelled charges.   Havering write to me asking for supporting evidence of representations that I made.   I email them screenshots with timestamps of the representations.   In early March Havering reply to me by email 'confirming receipt of email and both cases are now on hold pending an investigation. Please allow time for a full response to be sent.'   Fast forward to 18th June Havering write to me the attached:  Havering Charge Certificate.pdf   Now, it seems as though the sender of this letter is not up to date with both cases and is unaware of the TEC's decisions, as well as the email correspondence.   My questions are, 1) What should I do next? and 2) Is there a way to use their misstep to avoid paying for the PCN entirely?   Thank you.
  • Our picks

    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
       
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
       
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
       
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
       
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
       
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
       
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
       
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
       
      Thanks for reading 
      • 6 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies
oblong

Brakes failed on my new (used) car, please help!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4027 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I bought the car less than three weeks ago from a second hand car dealership, it had been advertised on Autotrader.

 

I noticed while driving that sometimes the brakes seemed unresponsive which was a bit worrying but I thought maybe it was just the type of car (larger and heavier than Iwas used to). I mentioned it to my OH and we agreed we'd get the car looked at, the brakes checked and generally serviced as it was new to us even though it has almost 10 months of MOT left (it's a 2004 car, full stamped service history).

 

This weekend we went on a family camping weekend (with our three young children) and my OH drove, he was shocked at the performance of the brakes and he pulled over half way worried that it might not be safe to continue. We did continue - cautiously.

 

Anyway, I took the car to a fiat dealership to be looked at today and they have advised that the brakes are in a terrible state and the car is not safe to be driven, repair estimate approx £550. Brake discs described as 'blue', brake fluid of poor quality and moisture introduced, discs corrodede and also problems with handbrakes potentially causing brake issues with back brakes. So the car is at the dealership waiting for our decision on what to do.

 

Does anyone know if these problems could come about quickly (i.e. since the MOT) if dodgy brake fluid had been used?

 

We live in a small village with no public transport and I have children to take to pre-school etc., it's not really feasible for me to go any length of time without a car.

 

The car was MOTd at the end of March this year, it came with a warranty that doesn't cover the brakes, only engine and gearbox. There were no advisory notes with the MOT suprisingly.

 

I haven't contacted the dealership yet (this has all happened today) but am sure they will say 'not our problem' or something.

 

Do I stand a chance of getting my money back or getting the dealership to pay for the repair? Should I go ahead with the repair in the meantime and persue for the costs? What about hiring a car for the period I don't have the use of it, will I get those costs back? :confused:

 

I've arranged to go to citizen's advice tomorrow but just to add to the complication, my 8-month-old has chicken pox (very badly) and they're not happy for me to take her into the advice bureau so as yet I can't think of a plan to get me there and get her looked after - not that I'm seking advice on that issue here!

 

I'm really distressed about this, I feel as if the dealership have but our lives at risk in selling us this car.

 

Is there a process I should follow, I'm worried about doing the wrong thing in the wrong order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my experience, I wouldn't bother with the CAB. They were no help to me when I had a problem with a 2nd car I bought. Do you have free legal advice with your car/household insurance?

You need to contact the garage you bought the car from & inform them of the problem, giving them time to repair. Just quote the Sale of Good Act to them. They are a trader, so have a legal obligation to repair the car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Should I go ahead with the repair in the meantime and persue for the costs?

 

No, you should give the seller the first chance at repairs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should contact the seller to see if they will remedy the problem.

 

I would consider getting a writtten report as to the condition of the car first but obviously that does involve expense.

 

If you get no joy from the seller then get your written report and go back to the seller and tell them that they commit a crimianl offence of selling a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition, contact you local trading standards, or get a solicitor to fire a letter of for you.

 

Your local trading standards may well pick up the batton and prosecute the seller.

 

Your local traffic police may be interested as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your replies. The CAB were absolutely briliant, their advice agrees with what has been written here and the advisor also made the phonecall to the car sales people on my behalf. They wrote down all the details for me and are drafting a letter basically repeating what was said on the phone which was a summary of the situation and invite to inspect with a view to paying for the repairs or alternatively giving money back on the car. I can't believe how helpful they've been. I had already paid for a written report/diagnosis which I have paid £80 for. I am now waiting for their response re. inspecting the car themselves (with my representative present - not sure who that will be yet).

 

I will update with progress.

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...