Can Court costs be reduced/waived?

Sirensinger

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4416 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong area, but if court costs have been awarded against a defendant in financial hardship, is there any way of applying for them to be waived or reduced?

Thanks

Sirensinger

You need to give more detail. However, in theaory you could appeal but you would have to have very good reasons

Hi, I have posted about my case under HSBC thread, but basically I had a trial the other day where there is no CCA, and the judge hasn't given a decision yet, but if it goes against me, I will be landed with over £2,000 of costs.

I'm in huge financial hardship, to the point where I've considered bankruptcy (though not going down that route yet). I earned under £4,000 from self-employment last year, and currently have no work - plus debts and disputes with 5 other banks and the Student Loans Co., and an unrenovated property in France that the Maire is threatening to declare dangerous unless I get urgent repairs done.

I live in a house that I own with my ex-partner, where we rent out rooms, but the income from these only covers the mortgage and the bills, so I don'y get any spare cash from this. I'm currently just doing the odd bit of work for my ex and sometimes teach private students - it's just £15.00 here, £50 quid there, not a proper living wage at all, only enough for food really. I can't get benefits because of the house income, and I have to borrow from my mother (who can't afford it herself) when anything urgent comes in.

I have suffered from depression in the past, and am on long-term antidepressants (just put this in in case there's any possibilities here!)

The Judge is going to give a decision within 28 days - I am on tenterhooks, and feel I need to have plans already made for what to do if it goes against me. I won't be able to chance an Appeal just in case it loses and attracts more costs, and I've no way of paying the first lot.

Anyone got any suggestions? Any ideas/info gratefully received!

Tessa

Guest Alison82

I know there is an exemption form you can submit to waive the court fees if you are filing the claim but I'm not sure if it works if you are the defendant