You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

kenwood

Another A&L (I think) unlawful charge

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3979 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I had a dormant and empty a/c with A&L. I realise I should have closed it down when I stopped using it but sadly didn't. Anyway, out of the blue they have charged me a £5 fee for not having input a minimum of £500 per month and this put the account into overdrawn status, even though I did not even have an overdrawing facility with them and had never been overdrawn. Thereafter of course they have charged another £5 per day and by the time I realised what was going on it had become £65. I immediately went to an A&L branch and paid in £5 to clear the initial debt but not sure what to do after this. I've changed the a/c to a straightforward current a/c instead of the high interest one that it was - they won't allow me to close the a/c. I have written to complain and as a gesture they reduced the amount by £25. If the a/c is empty and I do not co-operate how far will they go to recoup the £40 or £65? I am currently unemployed and receiving benefit - this goes into another a/c.

HI,

If your "other account" (the one you have your benefits paid into) is with A&L, they may just "offset" the overdraft from your other account leaving you with nothing. Offsetting means taking money from one account to clear a debt in another.

While the empty account is open and you don't pay into it, they are going to charge you the monthly fee and if it's still in overdraft then the charges are going to mount.

My immediate thought is for you to open another account with a bank that's not any part of the Santander group so that your money (what pittance it is) is safe from the greedy bankers.

fox

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Do as silverfox says and open an account else where. I will give you a list of accounts available.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

Then you should start the ball rolling to reclaim the charges, which will clear the account for you. Follow the step by step guide in my signature.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks for this advice - my active account is with Abbey, maybe when the renaming goes through they would take the money from this a/c. If I dont react to A&L's claims how far will they go to recoup these charges?

I wrote a while ago and asked for advice and for the last 8 weeks have been writing to A&L in the hope of convincing them to waive the charges they have set against my account, which had about 39p in it and virtually dormant. I'm about to either complain to FOS or start legal proceedings. Not decided 100% yet. Do you think I should pay the charges which are probably several hundred pounds worth by now or let them run? I feel I might be better off limiting the damage if the test case goes in favour of the banks to whatever extent. Advice would be appreciated.

You have one question, namely...............

Do you think I should pay the charges which are probably several hundred pounds worth by now or let them run?

I would advise that if you can afford to pay them just now, pay them !!

You will get them back after the High Court case is settled (my opinion only).

You will lose interest in the interim (fact).

You may get the interest back (if you sue).

I had a court case with The A&L which was settled (out of court) days before the mass imposition of Stays on the bank charge claims throughout the court system.

I found being a litigant in person was very stressful, but satisfying after the A&L coughed up out of court.

I spent a lot of hours going over the various/relevant threads trying to garner information. This is what you will have to do before making any decisions regarding "paying or not"

Have the A&L issued a default notice on your account ?

Thanks for your response. No I have not had a default notice yet. Does it kick in at a certain figure? I did not even have an overdraft facility and the charges have come to £130 as at 28 July. What happens with the actual default notice? Will they freeze the charges? You are lucky you dealt with it before the Stays. According to someone I spoke to at the FOS today A&L would gladly let these charges run till January 2010 even if there is an outcome to the wretched test case tomorrow, just because they have been given leave to do so (correct terminology?) I'm letting my imagination run away with me worrying if this passed to a debt collector!

Hooray!! A&L have refunded my charges! After persisently writing and calling I finally got to speak to a really lovely lady who was sympathetic and she said she would reverse the charges and take off the default credit rating, which I didnt even know I had. The total of the refund is £275 worth of bank charges following a £5 fee which they took from my a/c which put me in the red! Their letter of confirmation came through yesterday.

they will no doubt now close your account without telling you...!