No CCA but HSBC's solicitor asked the Judge to 'Assume it must have been signed'

Sirensinger
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just come from my trial re bank charges and no CCA.

Thought I had a fairly concrete case as no CCA supplied, they admitted they must have lost it - but the Claimant's solicitor or whatever she was argued that as they had lent me so much, on balance of probabilities the Court was asked to agree that it was likely I must have signed one. The Judge has not given his verdict yet, he said he 'wants to be sure he is saying the right thing, and will let us know within 28 days.

The original debt was £7,700 or so - I had claimed £140 in bank charges, notified them that I was suspending payment until resolution of this - they'd then issued a Claim against me which went to the wrong address - they got a CCJ and a charge on my house which I successfully had removed on the grounds of no CCA.

DG sols have now knocked off the charges - but I've now been using the lack of a CCA to argue that the original debt is unenforceable. I had section 127 of Consumer Credit Act as evidence, plus Wilson etc., and a letter from the OFT where they confirmed it was true that it was unenforceable without the CCA - but the Judge threw doubt on the status of the OFT person, and said he had only made 'general statements', and the DG person cross-examined me and tried to get me to agree that 'a bank must be expected to have asked you to sign something when lending you all this money, so that they could get it back if you defaulted!'. I said I would indeed expect them to, so that they could produce it in Court - which they haven't. I would also have expected the Judge to accept that there's therefore no proof I ever signed one and dismiss their Claim - but it's never that easy, is it!

What a farce! DG have now asked for over £2,000 in costs should I lose, and I feel the Judge is going to come down on their side in the end. I can't afford an Appeal that loses, so it's beginning to look like I'm stuffed.

I know I'm jumping the gun, as we don't know his decision yet, but anyone got any ideas if I do lose? I'm in huuuge financial difficulty cos got other disputes too, and am in first year of self-employment & earning under 4,000 a year - at present no work at all.

Cheeras

Tessa

Hi Tessa

The law is quite clear on not having an agreement, they can't enforce it. I have flagged this up to the site team as i am off out in about 5 mins, but will be back later.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I'm watching this one with interest Tessa , - IMHO it's not within the judge's remit to 'assume' ,only to apply the law ..... that would open a right can of worms for other cases......

So , let's see what the Learned Judge comes up with .......I'd also be interested in other Caggers opinions on this .....:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

The Judge would be flying in the face of precedents and parliament if he were to "assume".

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you CB :D my sentiments precisely ...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Tessa

Without the agreement the court cannot be satisfied that s61(1)(a) was complied with, it must have the prescribed terms and be signed. The only thing to do now is wait to see what the judge says, then take it from there. This will be interesting.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Absolutely ,pete :) thanks mate....

So, I wouldn't give up hope just yet Tessa, the general concensus on here is that the law will prevail........

Please keep us updated on this , it'll help others (like Honestknob) who may be in the same situation ....... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

...The Judge has not given his verdict yet, he said he 'wants to be sure he is saying the right thing, and will let us know within 28 days...
Sounds like the judge is going off to do a bit of reading up of Goode/case law etc.. When he gets to the Wilson case it should be a slam dunk for you. I would not worry about it - what will be will be...

Hi folks, thanks for your input - they actually got Goode out in the Courtroom, by the way, and were going through it.

I, too, think he must be off to do some reading - I just hope he understands what he's reading....

If the worst happens, does anyone know if there's any way to get costs waived due to hardship? As I said, I've been landed with £2,000 of them, and I don't have a penny - my situation is so bad I've been considering bankruptcy, though don't want to go down that route yet as I have property I don't want to lose. I actually forgot that cases in the Fast Track attract costs, and I was so sure I'd win that I didn't realise how bad it could be!

I know I need to wait and see, but I feel I need to be ahead of the game so I know what to do in the worst-case scenario. Ho hum, back to my research (& several bottles of cider and packets of tobacco, it's all that's keeping me from jumping in the river at this point.....) I suppose at least I must remember that in one way I've won ... they did, after all, refund my charges....... which is why I started the thing in the first place ... bit hard to feel good about it when I might be landed with far more in costs though!

Tessa