DCAs wantonly searching my CRA files

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5419 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

In an effort to improve my credit rating, I have recently subscribed to the 3 CRAs online. (Annoyed that I have to pay to access MY info, but heyho...)

None of my files have any defaults, late payments, CCJs etc. - in fact, aside from Virgin Media and my bank, all credit accounts on there are recently opened & reporting nice little green o's.

I have previously been in debt. I got in a mess while at Uni about 10 years ago, which resulted in RBS closing my account. I never paid back what I owed on my o/d or c card, but then again they never asked me to - I had absolutely no further communication from them. I also had a catalogue account and 2 store cards that were left unpaid. I took the ostrich approach & never replied to any DCA letters. I moved from my parents address, where all the debt would be registered to, in 2006, but any debt from there must be well over 7 years old. I do not know if any of it resulted in CCJs, as all correspondence to me was returned to sender unanswered, and certainly no bailiffs/thugs or similar ever turned up. But all this info has now dropped off my CRA fles, and I am starting to get credit again (recently got full current account, credit card, and catalogue account to help with credit rating).

However, I was alarmed to read the information Equifax hold on me:

Previous Addresses (This is my parent's address & I haven't lived there since 2006)

7, ANYROAD, ANY VILLAGE, PRESTON, LANCS, PR0 000

Table 1: Credit Searches

The following table shows searches undertaken in connection with credit applications:

Name Date Search Reason Company Search Type

Jane Smith 08/08/2008 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

Jane Smith 02/01/2009 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

Jane Smith 13/10/2008 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

Jane Smith 17/11/2008 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

Jane Smith 18/11/2008 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

J Smith 16/11/2007 Outstanding Debt Capquest Uk Ltd

Linked Addresses

FLAT 0 3, SOME ROAD, NICE TOWN, LANCS, FY8 888 (I lived here in 1997/1998 and did not give Equifax this address - in fact I'd actually forgotten all about the place. I have no live accounts from this period so i'm annoyed they have this address)

Table 1: Credit Searches

The following table shows searches undertaken in connection with credit applications:

Name Date Search ReasonCompanySearch Type

Jane Smith 08/08/2008 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

Jane Smith 17/11/2008 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

Jane Smith 18/11/2008 Outstanding Debt Aktiv Kapital Group Uk

J Smith 16/11/2007 Outstanding Debt Capquest Uk Ltd

Table 2: Other Searches

The following table shows searches undertaken for purposes other than credit applications. These searches have no impact on a credit decision:

NameDateSearch ReasonCompany

No Other Searches Present

So, table 1 says the searches are undertaken in connection with credit applications. But the actual searches are by DCAs. The DCAs have not contacted me here or at my parents address re any debt. I understand any debt may be statute barred, but I'm worried if I got a CCJ then it is still enforceable? If I contact the DCAs I would have to give them my present address to reply to, and then the debt could end up back in court. In any case, do DCAs just have access to my CRA files to search at will?? I've never given permission for my data to be processed like this! I understand that searches relating to debt stay on Equifax for 2 years - but shouldn't Equifax require proof of enforceability before granting them access to my info? Also, how do Equifax know J Smith is me? Are the DCA leeches just allowed to try various name combinations until they hit the jackpot?

Apologies for lengthy post. It's my first time & I've probably broken loads of etiquette rules. Also apologies to any Jane Smiths if I've taken your name in vain ;-) i've tried looking around for answers to this q, but I'm really sorry if it's been asked before & I'm just being dumb.

Just been through trustonline.org.uk & confirmed there are no CCJs registered against me at any address. Which is nice. Cost £8 a search though!

Edited by lancslucy
Additional info

You can check online if you have any CCJs, but it will cost £8 CCJs, court orders & fines - Search yourself and others - Trust Online If nothing shows up those debts will be well & truly Statute Barred.

In any case, do DCAs just have access to my CRA files to search at will??

Yes and no. Yes they can do a search but no they cannot decimate your file by repeatedly checking it. Make a complaint to TSs & the OFT via consumer direct Consumer Direct - Contact us & the ICO https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx

• Haha 1

Cheers for the reply. I have searched Trust Online - no CCJs against me!

So, if DCAs are allowed to search occasionally, surely they should have to be accurate with the name they search for? Or can they look for anyone with a similar name?

And, why are they listed in searches relating to credit applications? I am not applying for credit from them.

I would be interested to know how/why DCAs are allowed access to people's credit files. Surely they should have to prove an interest first?

Do we not have the right to limit who looks at our information?