compulsory work for lone parents

inabw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5404 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I would like to ask about some issues which came up in my last

compulsory back to work interview. I was asked what kind of work I was looking for,since I have never left my child with anyone,and I have had a traumatic experience with childcare with a previous child, I want to do my own childcare. To this end I said that when the time comes I wiill seek work from home in order to be there when needed. I was told I could not do this as I must seek work from an outside quarter. Is this legal,is this morally acceptable? I am flabbergasted that any body can exert so much power over an individual. I would gratefully appreciate any help and advice anyone may be able to give

Kind regards

It depends on the context in which it was said.

No, you cannot be dictated to as to how you work or for whom. However if you worked from home, chances are you would be self employed, which means you would probably be paying class 2 NI contributions, which do not count as contributions for some contribution based benefits. Employees pay class 1 NI contributions. I think she possibly meant going self employed could affect any future claims to benefit.

She may also have meant that when your claim transfers to Jobseekers Allowance from Income Support, that you are expected to be "actively seeking, and immediately available for work", which realistically speaking, you wouldn't be if you refused to leave the house.

But essentially if a job came along that involved working from home, and it meant you could come off benefit, then no they cannot tell you you can't accept it.

How old is your child?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Ahh....so he is coming up for 12 which means you will have to come off Income Support. While you are on Income Support, you are not obliged to take any job, nor are you obliged to follow up any suggestions for work that takes place during work focused interviews. However once you are on JSA you will have to sign a "Jobseeker's Agreement" which changes the goalposts. Although they will check you are seeking work at every sign on, your official review will be 13 weeks in, where you must demonstrate what it is you have been doing to seek work.

I think this is possibly what the lady meant - that you cannot be "actively seeking work" if you refuse to leave the house. Which actually you can. You can search the Jobcentre website online for vacancies, view ads online in local newspapers, call round businesses from the yellow pages....

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about training to be a childminder? this is what I did when my kids were small so I could spend more time with them while getting paid to look after someone elses. My circumstances had been altered significantly as my hubby had just walked out and left me with 3 kids under the age of 4. As the kids got older I then did training and got a job in thier school so we all had the holidays off together. It was a bit of a struggle money wise but I reckoned the fact that I was there to bring my children up and not passing them from one carer to another really worked for us. I really hope you find something to suit you. Rainbow x