badly advised on housing benefit

pieface

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I moved to a new area with my job and took out a rental property putting my own mortgaged home up for sale.

After 18months the property would not sell and the estate agents wrote to say they could no longer market it in the current climate. Meanwhile, I was paying both the mortgage and rent for the two properties. Then disaster struck and I was made redundant! I started my claim for the Job seekers and HB and CTB and told them the situation. Whilst in my interview we discussed the possibility of renting my mortgaged property out as there was no way I could afford both and it would not sell –anyway. I was advised that if I was to rent it out, things like maintenance, the contract being drawn up etc would be taken into account as costs to me and perhaps this would solve the immediate problem while waiting for HB for the rentaed property. On this advice, I was able to quickly find a tenant who is now residing in my mortgaged home which almost covers the costs; however, I have to make up the £15.00 to pay it in full. Now the clanger! Now I have taken this advice, I have received a letter saying I am not entitled to any benefit at all because the property is now classed as an asset worth more than £16.000 and therefore I am completely stuck, I will not be able to pay my rent on the home I have lived and worked for much longer, I have a tenant in my mortgaged home which only leaves the inevitable - homelessness for myself as my redundancy dwindles to nothing and I am evicted. This is the worst case scenario of course and I do hope I will secure work before this happens as a project leader – a bit thin on the ground at present. The point is, I have been verbally given this advice in person at the local county offices and acted on it, had I not been, I would be entitled……….any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Hello and Welcome, pieface.

Sorry, I can't give you any advice :rolleyes: but I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum, where hoefully someone will.

EDIT: Thread moved.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi - my daughter is an Housing Benefit Contractor. I have passed your query to her and this her reply.

There are a lot of ifs and buts with this but if you sold the house would you have over 16K clear profit? (after fees) - was it the job centre who missed advised you or the local authority? - if you had a tenant prior to claiming benefits then you may have been able to claim HB for your rental home as you have a sitting tenant -

If you wish to talk to my daughter please pm me your phone number and she will call you.