Westcot Credit Services - not me/my debt - help pls

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I didn't even know this great forum existed until searching to try and sort my problem so at least some good has come out of that already.

I'd be really grateful for any advice - I usually feel quite nervous about anything to do with money and for that reason, do always try and keep on top of things (or at least let my girlfriend do all the financial stuff :grin:). I'll try not to ramble but do want to include all important information here so apologise in advance for the lengthy post.

I received a letter this morning from Wescot Credit Services Ltd in Hull completely out of the blue. When I say "I received", it was actually addressed to a name similar but not identical to my relatively unusual surname - e.g. assume my name is Mr Fogarty, letter was addressed to Mr Fogharthy.

Please see scan of the letter (from which I hope I've removed all identifying marks).

[/url]52418228.jpg

Not only is the name wrong, I really cannot recall ever leaving any address with money still owed. I've lived (with very financially-organised GF) at current address for about 3 years, previous address (with GF) for about 6 months, previous address (own place) for about 3 years. I've always left forwarding addresses etc. I really don't know how this debt can be mine.

I guess I may be worrying unneccesarily but I would be very grateful for any advice whatsoever. I've got somewhat intermittent internet access at the moment but I will try to respond to all posts as soon as I can.

Thanks very much,

sprucket

Send this to the clowns;

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Remember, don’t sign the letter.

Hello and Welcome, sprucket.

Sounds like a Westcot 'phishing' trip. It's more than likely the debts not yours but someone with a similar name in your area, and they're pumping out letters hoping to catch someone in their net.

Sorry, I could not read your scan of the letter, but I'd tend to file under Ignore or if they send one again, just stick, 'not known at this address' on the envelope and put it in a post box.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks very much to you both.

I've been stressing over this pretty much all day but now I'm starting to think (it might be the couple of pre-dinner beers!), I should maybe just ignore as maroondevo52 suggests. I don't really want them to get my real name (which they would if I wrote the brilliant letter cerberusalert suggests). I'm actually more angry with them now that they've got me fretting all day about it especially when I read:-

...Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

and

...the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

To send or not to send....

Thanks again,

sprucket

another (hopefully legible) link to the letter:-

Imageshack - 54933985.jpg

DCAs tend to go on 'phishing' trips trying to locate people & tend to mass mail a certain area where they think they may live, often including people with similar names. For now just ignore them, but if they persist send the letter above and make a complaint to your local Trading Standards through Consumer Direct Consumer Direct - Contact us

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I ignored the first letter but now received another. I did actually get this a few weeks ago but mislaid it so it's now after their "deadline" of 15th July but now I've found it, thought I'd ask for any further advice.

scan038.jpg

scan037.jpg

Would now be the time to send the letter Cerberusalert suggests as well as contacting local Trading Standards? I'm just a bit wary about letting them have my correct name.

Thanks again for any information.

sprucket

Would now be the time to send the letter Cerberusalert suggests as well as contacting local Trading Standards? I'm just a bit wary about letting them have my correct name.

Yes send them the letter Cerberusalert posted, make sure you send it via recorded delivery so you have proof that they received it.

I would use red ink aswell:D But thats just me,

• Haha 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

OK (and sorry for continuing to resurrect this thread but...) today I've now received another, more demanding, letter from Wescot. I was going to send Cerberusalert's letter today but do I need to reword it in light of this new letter? A friend currently stood next to me says I should phone them (and tell them "the dream's over. You've got the wrong dude, man.")?

scan039.jpg

scan040.jpg

Thanks again for any pointers.

sprucket

Those threatogrammes are all computer generated rubbish, but keep hold of them for evidence against them:D

Send them the letter Cerbs posted, via recorded delivery, Don't ever ring the threat monkeys, you need to keep everything in writing for evidence, just ignore their nasty petty mindset they inhabit, it is nothing more than hot air!:D

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!