• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case on this topic that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN. Should this ever happen to me, I will make an appeal at the first stage to avoid any problems that may occur at a later stage. Although, any individual in a similar position should decide for themselves what they think is an appropriate course of action. Also, I continue to be grateful for any advice you give on my own particular case.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Nationwide Vs Carolan78

carolan78
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all I have recieved a county court paper today from Nationwide they are taking me to court for an outstanding balance on my account...this is all made up of bank charges. They closed my account because I refused to pay anymore charges as I have already paid them roughly £2000 and it was spiralling out of control. I couldn't get the account back in the red because they were constantly adding yet more charges. I was on benefits when all this occured if that helps at all.

Now I have this county court claim to fill in asking if I admit to the amount claimed, I am planning on filling in the acknowledgement section this then gives me 28 days from the date of service (is this the issue date?) to file a defence. I have a few questions.

1) I need to send a subject access request to Nationwide in order to file my defence will I have time or will I be able to get the 28 days extended.

2) Can I counterclaim and claim all the bank charges I have already paid back?

Thanks for reading any help aprieciated :)

This is excellent news. The fact that NW have made a charges claim against you puts you in an exellent position.

Yes, fill in the acknowledgment and put in the SAR without any delay.

We will help you frame a defence and also counterclaim everhything they have ever taken from you.

Have they placed any defaults on your credit file?

I am assuming they have but don't have any form of credit/debit card to check my file :/ No default notice has arrived though, I haven't even recieved an account saying they were closing my account down, I just stopped using it and transfered all payments and direct debits into another account.

I have had letters off DCA's who I stupidly contacted via telephone reiterating the debt is solely made up of unlawful charges and they have then stopped getting in touch. I haven't heard anything for over 6 months.

Was the claim issued out of Northampton?

In that case it is probably a MoneyClaim on line claim and you should be able to acknowledge it over the internet.

Check your credit file immediately.

How far back does your account with them go?

Incidentally, you should word your SAR very generally.

SAR is very easy.

Just ask for all personal data they hold on you in any form on any matter and for any period.

At the end of the 28 days - allow 25 for a saftey margin- and then file the defence.

Tell us what their POC says but generally your defence will be that the alleged debt is denied.

If there is any debt then it is comprised wholly of unfair bank charges which are invalid under the Unfair Terms in consumer Contracts Regs 1999.

Then you will go on to make your counterclaim.

Have you evidence of any charges at all or do you need all of your statements?

If you know some of your charges then you should claim those and then reserve the right to amend to include further charges once the claimant has satisfied your SAR dated XXXdateXXX.

If they have defaulted you then we can ask for the removal of that as well.

I think that we can try to ask for the claim not to be stayed as the claimants are fully aware that this is a bank charges matter and yet they have sought to bring the claim.

When you calculate your charges make sure that you include any interest which they have charged you on the charges. This will include any interest they have charged you on an overdraft - even if the overdraft is within your agreed limit - because as it is they who owe you the money, you are not really overdrawn, - but for your charges you would be in the black and so you should not be paying interest to borrow your own money.

Let us know about the credit file.

for the full amount I would need the statements for the last 6 years but an apox figure of £1000 is under estimating so I am happy to use that and then add any further amount to it at a later date.

Can you tell us a bit more about what they are claiming. The POC refers to agreed installments

Incidentally make sure that you claim everything back to the beginning of the account.

Don't worry about the 6 yrs

I have no idea what they are referring to as per the agreed installment...I have never agreed to anything as far as I am aware, so i am unsure what they mean.

It would probably still be about the same amount even with 8 years of charges it wasn't until 2006 it all snowballed out of control.

Just thought back I did recieve a payment card from a DCA with proposed installments, I ignored it from what I can remember...will the subject access request include all of this?

Sorry my memory is so sketchy I had a tiny baby when all this started and by the time DCA letters started arriving I had a toddler and newborn to deal with too so didn't pay it the attention I probably should have.

Did they send you any kind of default or payment notice.

Yes, the SAR should produce all of this

No at no time do I recall a default notice been sent to me, just statements (with charges for the following month on the back page), letters informing me I was overdraw (unauthorised) and then DCA letters.

The account was a basic flex account with no credit facilities or debit card, if this helps at all.

SAR Request letter

I am writing to request a copy of all information over the last six years associated with me. The information required should include, but not be limited to:

• any document sent by you to me,

• any document sent by you to a third party,

• any document sent by a third party to you,

• any bank statements issued to me

• any information you hold regarding charges to the account

Please find enclosed a fee of £10 for the maximum statutory charge.

If you store any of the information on microfiche, please be aware that the Information Commissioner deems this to be a relevant filing system under the Act. As such, any microfiche data must be sent to me in fully legible and comprehensible form.

I look forward to your response within 40 days, as you are obliged to reply under the Data Protection Act. If not I shall seek remedy from the Information Commissioner.

Edited by carolan78

Great. Could you replace the SAR above with the one you actually sent.

Hi carolan78!

...Have they placed any defaults on your credit file?

I am assuming they have but don't have any form of credit/debit card to check my file...
Here is a link to the Experian webpage where it explains how to go about sending them the statutory £2 fee and getting a one-off copy of your Credit File held by them by post.

...No default notice has arrived though, I haven't even recieved an account saying they were closing my account down, I just stopped using it and transfered all payments and direct debits into another account.
Although you haven't specifically mentioned that your NEW current account is with another 'bank' carolan78, it can only be assumed that it is?

I say this because banks have to right to debit money from one account to offset an alleged debt accrued in another account that a person has with that same bank.

Some banks have even been known to secretly open and run 'shadow' accounts that people are unaware of, even if a person assumes that an account has been closed. :eek:

The following link is an example of such, that an old friend of mine is admirably and tenaciously getting to the bottom of to his credit.

walton v rbos

...I have had letters off DCA's who I stupidly contacted via telephone reiterating the debt is solely made up of unlawful charges and they have then stopped getting in touch. I haven't heard anything for over 6 months.

No at no time do I recall a default notice been sent to me, just statements (with charges for the following month on the back page), letters informing me I was overdraw (unauthorised) and then DCA letters.
Which DCA's have you received letters from?

Nationwide tend to initially use their own 'in-house' DCA. ;)

The account was a basic flex account with no credit facilities or debit card, if this helps at all.

As someone who still has a Nationwide basic flexaccount, even after 3yrs since falling foul of a unilaterally and unexpectedly cancelled Authorised O/D on an all singing and dancing Debit Card flexaccount at the time, I wasn't aware that it was possible to be 'allowed' to go overdrawn. :confused::shock:

Although you would be the Defendant in your particular case carolan78, the following Thread contains some further links which you may also find useful...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/93981-caroline-nationwide.html

:)

Thank you Milk Tray man yes I do bank elsewhere now. I wasn't aware this account could ever go into arrears either but I guess its ok for it to be in negative figures if it is their charges they are taking.

Not sure which debt collectors it was I haven't heard a thing since my little boy was tiny and he is now 18 months old. Will go have a look at your links.

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved another letter saying they can't send info to my address due to no trace...all mail has arrived as far as I am aware so did their court papers! Will get them to send it to a local branch instead, seriously doubt it will arrive in time for my defence now lol

I have drafted a reply to Nationwides Data protection team. Hope this shows them I will fight them all the way :D

Dear Sir/Madam

I acknowledge receipt of your letter 01st July 2009 informing me your unable to make your data disclosure to my account address.

There is absolutely no reason why you should not be able to do this. You have succeeded in sending me an acknowledgment at this address, your solicitors have managed to send a county court claim at this address and I consider that you are simply attempting to obstruct my data request and to avoid your statutory obligations in order to frustrate my likely defence and counter claim to your court action against me.

Further more I have become aware you have sent similar no trace letters to other Nationwide customers who have requested data disclosures from you and who you are suing in the County Court. It is clear that your no trace letters are merely a tactic.

If you feel that you are no longer able to trust your systems or the post in the way that you clearly have done in all other correspondence to me then I think it is up to you to use some private courier system at your expense.

Please note that if there are any delays in providing me with my data disclosure then on the first occasion I shall apply to the court for an adjournment on the grounds that you are in breach of your statutory duties and if you continue then on the second occasion I will simply ask the court to order you to complete the data disclosure and also to pay my costs for that application.

I shall also produce to the court “no trace” letters which other customers have also received and I am sure the court will be struck by the remarkable convince that when you sue your customers and they ask for data disclosures that you routinely send out no trace letters in order to provide obsacals to their legitimate data disclosure requests.

Regards

Edited by carolan78