• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Benefit fraud IUC, please help

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3985 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, I have received a letter from jobcentre plus, just saying that they have had reason to conduct an investigation into my claim of benefit. (I am on income support, housing benefit) it does not state what the allegation is for, although I suspect it is because my ex partner has been staying over some nights recently so some mornings he can take my daughter to school as it is quite far and I do not drive.

Im now ill with worry even though I know I have done nothing wrong.

Me and my ex have been working through our problems and are hoping to get back together in the future.

He lives at his mums, which is quite far from me but works quite near to me so some nights he stays over to save him the long journey and helps taking my daughter to school. All his bills are sent to his address at his mums and I pay for all my own bills.

I suspect that someone has just seen him over more and has grassed me up for fraud! they are interviewing me under caution in just a couple of days so please any help/advice would so much be appreciated, Thanks

As long as everything is in your name and that he has liability at his mom's address there isn't a problem. Is he registered on the electoral role at his mom's? They may ask for bank statements. I would certainly recommend taking someone with you and I would not say anything let them do the talking and see what exactly they have on you. You are entitled to have whoever you like stayover.

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes he is on the register at his mums and I could also get bank statements. All they could possibly have is taped evidence of him driving my child to school and some nights parked outside.

My worry is that if I admit that he does stay over occasionally then will they still class us as living together? as I have now had the time to research this it seems this is the case, (only family can stay over?)

Also who should I take with me as I cannot afford solicitor fees?, and to be honest my local CAB are quite useless- I have been there recently about something different and they just got answers off google :rolleyes:

You can take a friend or relative, if they are taping the interview ask for a copy on leaving. I personally don't think you have anything to worry about as they have to provide the evidence that he is living there. If you gather up all the evidence of separate lives to take with you, don't offer it them though wait and see exactly what it is they think they have on you.

Don't let it get to you, probably easier said than done, whatever it is I am sure it is not worth making yourself ill over.

If you are on Income Support you are entitled to a solicitor paid by Legal Service entirely. However, this will not cover in case you have to go to Court. I have been there myself, and sometimes unfortunately, these Interview are conducted in such a way that they try to make you tell them things they want to hear. Therefore, I suggest you go with a solicitor. You can find it yourself ( although it might be tricky to find ne who adheres to the Legal Service) but I strongly suggest you go through the Cab which has a complete list of Local Solicitors who join the scheme. Personally, having a solicitor, really helped a lot, since he can disclose the case before the actual interview and the Investigator HAS to give both of you time to discuss the situation before the tape starts recording. If you cant find one on time , you have the right to call the Investigation Department to ask for A delay in the interview in order to find appropriate Legal Advice and Support.

Bring with you ANY evidence to support the fact that he lives away, even your statements, bills everything that shows YOU are paying for food, bills etc etc... They probably already have those things with them...It happened in my case,...it was shocking...

Good luck. Just take your time when answering and Im sure it will go ok, since it looks as you did not do anything wrong.

I'll agree with doodoo04 in that you can take a solicitor and if you choose to do that they investigator will discuss with them before the interview all of the evidence that they have. BUT I am pretty certain that legal aid does not cover interviews at any other place than a police station so you will not be able to get FREE legal support.

From an investigators view though, you will not be treated any differently if you have a solicitor or not. They will ask their questions and as long as you answer honestly and especially if you have paperwork to back up your answers you will be OK.

Sorry...but I WANT TO UNDERLINE that YOU WILL SURELY GET 100% FREE LEGAL SUPPORT AT THE INTERVIEW. I did it myself so I know what I am talking about. The only legal requirement is that you are on Income Support and from what you say on your first post you are so that is enough. Legal Advice and Support includes also IUC for Benefit Crime, no matter where they take place... I can confirm you will be 100% covered. This is not guaranteed in the unlikely event of going to Court. PLEASE feel free to adsk for further infos if you need to...

Thanks once again for all replies! (really helped me)

Anyway, I had my interview, I decided that I would go alone to see what I was being accused of (as I have nothing to hide)-Yes I was right, They were accusing me of having a live in partner! Said that I had been under surveillance for quite some time and they had seen him arriving after work, I said good so if you have done a proper investigation then you will have seen him leave aswel-to which they didnt answer!

They really were trying to put words in my mouth but I answered all questions honestly and they seemed quite gutted that I didnt trip up once.

Well now all 'evidence' will be put to their manager who will decide if im lying!

Does anyone know how long it could be until I hear from them?

Also, they never asked me to proove where he lives- does this mean they already know where he lives?

To anyone else who has got one of these interviews- my advice is please stay calm and think about the answers you will say as they are very good at trying to word everything you say differently.

• 4 months later...

Very good! :D

Oh I bet that is a huge relief - so pleased for you.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)