quick question about neighbours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i know second question in two days sorry

inlaws are in a semi detached council house, the lady next door is now pregnant with number 8... (which im not even going to comment on) both houses are 3 bedroom semis.

now the lady next door has decided that instead of applying for a bigger house shes going to extend the one shes in without informing the council, shes getting a brother who "knows what hes doing" to put a new room in the attic, shes doing this apparently (according to the lady herself) on a budget of £200, which is worrying, the brother is doing the plumbing the electrics and the building work.

im worried as as far as i can see the only way to get a new room in is going to be to knock through the side of the roof and put a dormer in, im worried about the quality of the building work to put it bluntly i think the roofs going to come in, im worried about a fire risk from the electrics, and the leak risk from the water pipes as to be honest im not convinced this brother is the building expert he claims.

my in laws havent been able to afford building insurance so they worry that if anything does happen they are basicly going to loose everything.

they are thinking of reporting them to the council but hte problem is my inlaws have put up a fence down one side without informing the council as the neighbours dog kept climbing over the wire one. and they are worried that if they report for the building work then this is going to be noticed

any suggestions

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Fence is not a problem if not greater in height than 1.8m, no planning required and is not on the frontage.

The room in the roof will need both Planning approval and Building regulation approval, who will ensure regs and standards are met. this covers not only the building work but electrics and fire protection etc.. I would definietly inform the council straight away. Contact both Planning and Building Control.

my in laws havent been able to afford building insurance so they worry that if anything does happen they are basicly going to loose everything.

Buildings insurance costs very little when paid monthly, and is something they shouldn't over look!! If they're that broke, they should prioritise this over eating meat!!

they are thinking of reporting them to the council but hte problem is my inlaws have put up a fence down one side without informing the council as the neighbours dog kept climbing over the wire one. and they are worried that if they report for the building work then this is going to be noticed

I wasn't aware you had to inform the council to put a fence up, so long as it's on their own property and isn't over 6ft.

As soon as they spot ANY building work going on, they should inform the planning department at the council and insist that someone comes round. To put a dormer window in, they would need planning permission... Many people convert the attic without planning permission, but don't count it as an official room.

I take it that their house is a council house.

If so there will probably be a clause stating that no structural work can be done without their express permission.

I can't even replace crappy internal woodchip doors without informing the HA.

Get it reported. Hopefully the council will move them into a bigger house - that would solve a few problems I bet!

As a minimum Building Regulations approval would be required to convert a loft.

If it is within the confines of the roof space, this may be all that is required, but putting a dorma in would definitely require Planning Permission, as it is outside the roof line.

That's a cost of at least £450 to £600 alone for permissions before starting any work.

Not withstanding it is a Council house and such building work would not be permitted.

Without even knowing the truss design of your houses, I can say with certainty that £200 will not cover the required materials for a conversion.

For £200, he/she is putting a ladder up and laying chipboard flooring.

If it is a fink truss (classic W shape in a triangle), he will probably just cut the internal struts out to make room. All doomed for disaster, with the ceilings coming through and roof being literally sucked off.

One thing to look for, how/what is the party wall in the loft area?

Some older houses do not even have one.

Clearly, this is going to end badly if it goes ahead, so either inform the council now of your concerns or inform them immediately you get any signs of the work going on.

I would have suggested you speak to your neighbour, but I get the impression that is not an option or at least not worthwhile.

Edited by Turtle1000
typo