• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

How the hell have Mercers got my new PAYG mobile number?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4138 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Now I really am fuming. Just recieved a text from Mercers on my new PAYG mobile number. I'm really intrigued as to how they've managed to get it....only family members have the number, and they all know better than to give my mobile number out to DCA's.

What's annoying me even more though is that they are fully aware that the account is in dispute, due to the fact that they still haven't supplied me with a copy of the Credit Card Agreement! Time for a harshly worded letter I believe!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you register your new sim card with the service provider?

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Now that would be an interesting development

PGH7447

Getting There Slowly

---------

Advice is given freely but is in no way meant to be taken as Gospel:-)

Did you register your new sim card with the service provider?

Nope, and I've topped it up using cash, so there shouldn't be a way for them to get access to it that way! The only thing I can think of, is that I asked for it to be removed from that new 118 database thing...does sound like they've sold the detail on...very worrying!

Would new numbers be automatically listed under the deal that was done? They have constructed an 'opt out' scheme rather than 'opt in' which, to me, suggests they would be.

If this was the case and you've cost Mercers £1, just check they don't try and add it to the alleged debt! ;)

Would new numbers be automatically listed under the deal that was done? They have constructed an 'opt out' scheme rather than 'opt in' which, to me, suggests they would be.

If this was the case and you've cost Mercers £1, just check they don't try and add it to the alleged debt! ;)

That's true, and even removing the number doesn't ask for your name and address. I'm totally confused about how they've managed to get the number then!

Is it just a new sim card or the whole kit?

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crikey, it's like pulling teeth. ;)

How did you buy it? If it was through somewhere like a catalogue they will have cross-referenced your details with the sim number & sold the information on. Likewise if you bought it using a credit card.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crikey, it's like pulling teeth. ;)

How did you buy it? If it was through somewhere like a catalogue they will have cross-referenced your details with the sim number & sold the information on. Likewise if you bought it using a credit card.

Ah...that would explain it...was bought using my debit card! D'oh! Still, I don't understand why they have the right to do this...still feel a strongly worded letterr coming on!

The quickest way around it is buy a new sim card, they're only about a £1 & replace it when your credit runs out. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Confused!

I still cant see how they would have got the number. Even if the OP holds an current account with barclays and they see on the account history that he/she has purchased a phone from carphone whorehouse... how do they get the number?

S.

ahhh thinking about it... if the mobile phone operators were colluding with the same people they use to provide credit check info when people apply for a monthly fee phone then they would link up the phone number to the address.

Are You as Anonymous on CAG as You Think You Are? *Link*

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

ahhh thinking about it... if the mobile phone operators were colluding with the same people they use to provide credit check info when people apply for a monthly fee phone then they would link up the phone number to the address

It depends how the package was purchased but as a general rule the barcode on the box is scanned & that contains all the details; type of 'phone, sim card number etc, that is linked to the till receipt where the assistant asks you sweetly for your debit/credit card & of course personal details like name & address.

Then there's the other method, when you activate/register the 'phone. Again you're asked for the 'phone details, it's 'unique' number etc & of course your details.

Or when you fill in the guarantee conveniently linking your details with the 'unique' 'phone number which is already linked to the sim card.

All these customer lists are then sold on to lovely people like these; The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seriously though, this is getting really frightening now. After my 'do' with T Mobile on my mobile this morning, I too am wondering where on earth these other fraudsters who posed as T Mobile got my name and mobile number? I have opted out of 118 and only give my mobile number to friends and family so it has got to be BIG BROTHER tying it all together and cross-referencing.

As I say, very scary.:eek:

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

I bought a phone & sim card separately off evilbay over 12 months ago & am very careful about giving it out when filling in forms & the only unwanted calls I've ever had are from the service provider.:)

You can get free sim cards for all of the major networks. Just google free sim cards and there will be loads of offers for you to choose from.

I have loads of PAYG sim cards from Vodafone, Orange, Virgin, T-Mobile, Tesco and 02.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

i have a mobile phone number and only freinds and family have and havenever ever given out my mobile nor written it into any form noteven on line,

patrickq1

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Advice & opinions given by patrickq1 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional

I have given out my phone number on line when i am signing up for stuff but i have never had any calls from DCA's. If a company just wants a phone number then i use a PAYG number that is in my old nokia phone which i never switch on.

Edited by Blondmusic
:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

To opt out of the new directory you need to text 'E' to 118800

However, I've just done a search on myself online at The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800 and it came back as successful :mad:

What worries me is that all of the children's phones have been registered in my name simply because they were invariably bought as presents!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

What worries me is that all of the children's phones have been registered in my name simply because they were invariably bought as presents!!

For all other concerns and queries email contact@118800.co.uk

Frequently asked questions about 118800 mobile phone number directory

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To opt out of the new directory you need to text 'E' to 118800

However, I've just done a search on myself online at The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800 and it came back as successful :mad:

I've just done the same, and they've definitely got my details in their database, even though I've asked to be removed! Looks like it's time to get in touch with them via post to make the Data removal official, as well as time to contact watchdog I think!

When they created the 'removal' page a few days ago there was a message saying something along the lines that it could take seven weeks for the number to be removed from their systems. However, the page has now changed & reading between the lines they just make you 'ex-directory'.

Interestingly, amongst their speil they state that they do not reveal your number to a third party, they text you a message giving you the opportunity to accept the call or not.

More information about 118800 Connectivity launches 118 800 mobile phone directory service from KCOM call centre in Carr Lane, Hull city centre

Personally, I don't think this company will last a year.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Incidently KCOM (Kingston Communications) who actually run the call centre are an independent telephone network which is the sole telephone provider for Hull & surrounding area + ISP under the name of Karoo for the area & Eclipse nationally. KCOM Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]