How the hell have Mercers got my new PAYG mobile number?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Now I really am fuming. Just recieved a text from Mercers on my new PAYG mobile number. I'm really intrigued as to how they've managed to get it....only family members have the number, and they all know better than to give my mobile number out to DCA's.

What's annoying me even more though is that they are fully aware that the account is in dispute, due to the fact that they still haven't supplied me with a copy of the Credit Card Agreement! Time for a harshly worded letter I believe!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you register your new sim card with the service provider?

Nope, and I've topped it up using cash, so there shouldn't be a way for them to get access to it that way! The only thing I can think of, is that I asked for it to be removed from that new 118 database thing...does sound like they've sold the detail on...very worrying!

Would new numbers be automatically listed under the deal that was done? They have constructed an 'opt out' scheme rather than 'opt in' which, to me, suggests they would be.

If this was the case and you've cost Mercers £1, just check they don't try and add it to the alleged debt! ;)

Would new numbers be automatically listed under the deal that was done? They have constructed an 'opt out' scheme rather than 'opt in' which, to me, suggests they would be.

If this was the case and you've cost Mercers £1, just check they don't try and add it to the alleged debt! ;)

That's true, and even removing the number doesn't ask for your name and address. I'm totally confused about how they've managed to get the number then!

Crikey, it's like pulling teeth. ;)

How did you buy it? If it was through somewhere like a catalogue they will have cross-referenced your details with the sim number & sold the information on. Likewise if you bought it using a credit card.

Crikey, it's like pulling teeth. ;)

How did you buy it? If it was through somewhere like a catalogue they will have cross-referenced your details with the sim number & sold the information on. Likewise if you bought it using a credit card.

Ah...that would explain it...was bought using my debit card! D'oh! Still, I don't understand why they have the right to do this...still feel a strongly worded letterr coming on!

Confused!

I still cant see how they would have got the number. Even if the OP holds an current account with barclays and they see on the account history that he/she has purchased a phone from carphone whorehouse... how do they get the number?

S.

ahhh thinking about it... if the mobile phone operators were colluding with the same people they use to provide credit check info when people apply for a monthly fee phone then they would link up the phone number to the address.

ahhh thinking about it... if the mobile phone operators were colluding with the same people they use to provide credit check info when people apply for a monthly fee phone then they would link up the phone number to the address

It depends how the package was purchased but as a general rule the barcode on the box is scanned & that contains all the details; type of 'phone, sim card number etc, that is linked to the till receipt where the assistant asks you sweetly for your debit/credit card & of course personal details like name & address.

Then there's the other method, when you activate/register the 'phone. Again you're asked for the 'phone details, it's 'unique' number etc & of course your details.

Or when you fill in the guarantee conveniently linking your details with the 'unique' 'phone number which is already linked to the sim card.

All these customer lists are then sold on to lovely people like these; The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800

Seriously though, this is getting really frightening now. After my 'do' with T Mobile on my mobile this morning, I too am wondering where on earth these other fraudsters who posed as T Mobile got my name and mobile number? I have opted out of 118 and only give my mobile number to friends and family so it has got to be BIG BROTHER tying it all together and cross-referencing.

As I say, very scary.:eek:

I have given out my phone number on line when i am signing up for stuff but i have never had any calls from DCA's. If a company just wants a phone number then i use a PAYG number that is in my old nokia phone which i never switch on.

Edited by Blondmusic
:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

To opt out of the new directory you need to text 'E' to 118800

However, I've just done a search on myself online at The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800 and it came back as successful :mad:

What worries me is that all of the children's phones have been registered in my name simply because they were invariably bought as presents!!

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

To opt out of the new directory you need to text 'E' to 118800

However, I've just done a search on myself online at The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800 and it came back as successful :mad:

What worries me is that all of the children's phones have been registered in my name simply because they were invariably bought as presents!!

I've just done the same, and they've definitely got my details in their database, even though I've asked to be removed! Looks like it's time to get in touch with them via post to make the Data removal official, as well as time to contact watchdog I think!

When they created the 'removal' page a few days ago there was a message saying something along the lines that it could take seven weeks for the number to be removed from their systems. However, the page has now changed & reading between the lines they just make you 'ex-directory'.

Interestingly, amongst their speil they state that they do not reveal your number to a third party, they text you a message giving you the opportunity to accept the call or not.

More information about 118800 Connectivity launches 118 800 mobile phone directory service from KCOM call centre in Carr Lane, Hull city centre

Personally, I don't think this company will last a year.

Incidently KCOM (Kingston Communications) who actually run the call centre are an independent telephone network which is the sole telephone provider for Hull & surrounding area + ISP under the name of Karoo for the area & Eclipse nationally. KCOM Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia