• Tweets

• No, but all you'd do is blindly run the statute barred date for another 18 months. Just sit on your hands until you get a letter of claim, then send a CCA request.  
    • Just like last time, Evri requested more time so they have another 2 weeks
    • Just an update, finance company rejected my complaint saying they've found damage but can't tell when it's from even though I've shown them how the front end is misaligned in the advert photos compared to another identical model car they're selling.  Dealership now want to charge me to get the car brought back to me but will only discuss over the phone which seems off. They're also saying no damaged was picked up by JLR main dealership before I purchased it but my local JLR dealerships till this day haven't mentioned the damage to me because they don't go into stuff like that for some reason lol  Ombudsman case is still open, not sure if I should leave the car with them or just pay to have it brought back.
    • Hi all, I get esa and pip,  I have £1200 in arrears that I owed my ex partner, I have been paying £100 per month to clear this debt that was setup by standing order, as I have complex needs I forgot about this standing order and have overpaid mainternance by around £4000, I told CSA I am happy for my ex partner to keep overpayment I do not wish to seek anything back, however they have declined to take of the sum of £1200 and are still saying I owe this to my ex partner. In my second question it was announced that pip would stop for mental health, I don't understand the link below Disability benefits system to be reviewed as PM outlines "moral mission" to reform welfare - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK The Prime Minister has outlined a package of sweeping reforms to put work at the heart of welfare and... Does this mean my money is going to stop? I have spoken to my key worker and I am already recieveing help from mental health team and complex needs team along with connections and mind, I just don't get what is going on.
    • No, i haven't had one for about 10+ years. I am thinking of just going to the court in person and pay at the counter
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Please help, advice needed on "PACE FORWARD" and STUDENT LOANS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I'm new to this site so I hope I have posted this in the right place.

Today I recieved what I'm guessing is a "fishing" letter from PACE FORWARD. Addressed to my current address, but in my maiden name (which I haven't used since 2002). It seems to be a typical letter requesting a call to discuss a "personal matter" although the company seem unsure as to whether I live here or not. I discovered this site whilst trying to find out what company pace forward are, and have read several bits of advice from the site where users are referring to some debts as being statute barred. I'm not sure whether that will be relevant in my case or not. I have wracked my brain trying to work out what debts I have in my maiden name (I am already slowly paying back debts in my married name after splitting from my husband), I have concluded that it must be a debt to the Student loans company.

I took out student loans from 1993-1997 and consistently deferred them until 2002, at that point I was moving around the country a lot and basically screwed everything up. Whilst never earning enough to be required to pay back my loan I got nervous after failing to defer and then avoided dealing with the issue altogether. About 3 years ago I tried to attend to all the debts that I was left with when I split with my husband using a local advice service. Most of the debt companies agreed low repayments as I am on benefits. I asked the student loans co to deal with the advice company directly and never provided my address, but they never responded.

So, now I am wondering where I stand on this debt, did I effectively ruin any chances of it being statute barred (even though the debt is very old) because of trying to sort it out a few years back? What advice does anyone have in how to deal with the letter from pace forward?

Hoping Someone can help!

Caz

Hi and welcome

send them this template amended to suit

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Pre 98 Student loans -

Six years No Acknowledgement + No Payment from you = Statute Barred. Nothing can change that:)

Ignore the letter.

Beware of dealing with the student loans company and it's agents. They will pull every stunt to try to trick you into paying them money. Do not listen to anything they have to say because they do not have your interests at heart at all.

I would advise you to ring the National Debtline... they will tell you exactly what you need to do to get these monkeys off your back.

If you do write to them do not use your real signature.... they will lift it and try to make it look like you contacted them in the limitation period.

Thanks PGH7447, I think your letter will become more useful later down the line assuming the continue to chase me, as currently they have not referred to any debt at all, just requested I contact them about a "personal matter". They are obviously trying to catch me out though, because they say if I'm not the person they are looking for to contact them anyway so I can be ruled out of their enquiries.

Thanks kurvaface, what I'm worried about is that I might count as having "acknowledged" the debt when trying to sort this out a few years back. I can understand now if I had just ignored the debt at the time I wouldn't have this problem at all, but I thought I was doing the right thing trying to deal with the issue...my mistake lol!

Caz

Thanks kurvaface, what I'm worried about is that I might count as having "acknowledged" the debt when trying to sort this out a few years back.

As long as there is a full clear six years where no payment or written acknowledgement of the debt was made then it will be Statute Barred & nothing can make it 'un-barred'.

Thanks PGH7447, I think your letter will become more useful later down the line assuming the continue to chase me, as currently they have not referred to any debt at all, just requested I contact them about a "personal matter". They are obviously trying to catch me out though, because they say if I'm not the person they are looking for to contact them anyway so I can be ruled out of their enquiries. in that case report them for assuming you are who they want, they know this is against the OFT guidleines

Thanks kurvaface, what I'm worried about is that I might count as having "acknowledged" the debt when trying to sort this out a few years back. I can understand now if I had just ignored the debt at the time I wouldn't have this problem at all, but I thought I was doing the right thing trying to deal with the issue...my mistake lol!

Caz

PGH7447

Thanks Cerberusalert, I'm not really clear what counts as acknowledgement. In 2002 I was in contact with student Loans co (SLC), and then in 2006 I sent a form letter provided by the advice centre to the SLC asking to sort out the debt, where with the other debt letters I sent out I provided my address in the case of SLC I asked them to correspond with the advice centre. I don't know exactly how PACE FORWARD got my address but the advice centre could have provided it to them. Surely my correspondence, even though through form letter, counts as some form of acknowledgement?

Caz

By the sound of things there has been a 9 year gap anyway between 1997 & 2006 unless you made a written acknowledgement in 2002. Either way their is nothing to stop you sending the Statute Barred letter http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred the onus is on them to prove otherwise, besides even if you did write there is every likelihood the won't be able to retrieve the document anyway.

Thanks again Cerberusalert...thats much clearer! I only spoke on the phone to them in 2002, assuming then the advice centre form letter in 2006 doesnt count as acknowledgment and if it does they're unlikely to find it hahaha! So my plan of action is wait until I get chased with a letter refering to the actual debt rather than the vague one I got today. At that point then I shall send the statute barred letter and hope for the best.

Thankyou all so much for the advice I shan't be lying awake at night worrying now!

Caz

I mean what if this company are chasing another debt that may not be statute barred.... are you saying send the statute barred letter anyway?

No, I'm suggesting it in this case because it's such a big time-frame between contact.

Deferring your loans until 2002 means acknowledgeing them until 2002. The clock starts from then.

Even so they still will have to prove it's not Statute Barred in this case. ;)

If in the unlikely event they do manage to do that it is still not the end of the story. They will still have to provide an enforceable CCA & many from that period are either unenforceable or simply don't exist any longer.

Cerberusalert, what I mean is caz doesn't yet know if this is about student loans or not. It may be about another debt from last week or last year, they haven't said, so sending a statute barred letter could be the wrong thing to do.

The evidence points towards the student loan because the letter was addressed to her maiden name which she hasn't used since 2002. ;)