Pace, Asset and Rockwell debt collection worries

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I thought I better start a new thread as I'm getting very confused and desperately need some advise.

In September of last year I started getting loads of letters from a company called RED and another one called LOWELL saying I owed money and threatened to take the matter further if I did not pay. I ignored the letters as I did not know what the debt was for, although I think there was some mention of it coming from HSBC. The letters eventually stopped and I thought it had all gone away.

Then two weeks ago I received a letter from PACE FORWARD saying that they 'are trying to contact the above named person [me] in order to dicuss a personal matter'. I never contacted them because I am very wary of contacting companies when I don't know what they want.

The following day I received a letter from ASSET COLLECTIONS & INVESTIGATIONS LTD saying that they had been granted permission by LOWELL FINANCIAL LTD to collect an outstanding debt of £2650.64. and given me a reference number. There is no mention as to what the original debt is for but tell me they would consider my 'proposal favourably' if they received payment of 60% of the balance in the next 14 days.

Yesterday I then received another letter this time from ROCKWELL DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY saying they had been instructed by TESSERA to collect a debt of £913.16 to be payed within 7 days and given me an account number.

Now I don't really know what these debts are from. The only thing I can think of is that I never cleared old bank accounts from when I was a student and having lots of money problems. I know I didn't have credit cards, but cannot for the life in me remember if I took out a graduate loan. In which case it will either be from the Halifax or HSBC. But I'm only guessing at this. Either way I have no information about any account I held with these so I cannot check if the accounts were cleared or not. Also, I cannot be sure when I last made payment to these people. It must be at least 5 years ago but it may be much longer as I graduated 12 years ago. I just cannot remember if I was contacted since graduating about any outstanding debts.

Can anyone advise me as to what to do? Do I just ignore all the letters again and hope they stop like before? Do I contact any of them or all of them. I'm not about to ring them as I have no way of recording it, but should I write to them. I am just a little scared to contact them in case I get told to pay immediately and I have no means by which to do this. I just whish I knew what it was all about as their letters all seem very vague.

Thanks

Hi Alison

Hi, I thought I better start a new thread as I'm getting very confused and desperately need some advise.

In September of last year I started getting loads of letters from a company called RED and another one called LOWELL saying Same Company I owed money and threatened to take the matter further if I did not pay. I ignored the letters as I did not know what the debt was for, although I think there was some mention of it coming from HSBC. The letters eventually stopped and I thought it had all gone away.

Then two weeks ago I received a letter from PACE FORWARD saying that they 'are trying to contact the above named person [me] in order to dicuss a personal matter'. I never contacted them because I am very wary of contacting companies when I don't know what they want. Good plan :)

The following day I received a letter from ASSET COLLECTIONS & INVESTIGATIONS LTD saying that they had been granted permission by LOWELL FINANCIAL LTD to collect an outstanding debt of £2650.64. and given me a reference number. There is no mention as to what the original debt is for but tell me they would consider my 'proposal favourably' if they received payment of 60% of the balance in the next 14 days.

Yesterday I then received another letter this time from ROCKWELL DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY saying they had been instructed by TESSERA to collect a debt of £913.16 to be payed within 7 days and given me an account number. - Like to give you plenty of time dont they :mad:

Now I don't really know what these debts are from. The only thing I can think of is that I never cleared old bank accounts from when I was a student and having lots of money problems. I know I didn't have credit cards, but cannot for the life in me remember if I took out a graduate loan. In which case it will either be from the Halifax or HSBC. But I'm only guessing at this. Either way I have no information about any account I held with these so I cannot check if the accounts were cleared or not. Also, I cannot be sure when I last made payment to these people. It must be at least 5 years ago but it may be much longer as I graduated 12 years ago. I just cannot remember if I was contacted since graduating about any outstanding debts.

Can anyone advise me as to what to do? Do I just ignore all the letters again and hope they stop like before? Do I contact any of them or all of them. I'm not about to ring them as I have no way of recording it, but should I write to them. I am just a little scared to contact them in case I get told to pay immediately and I have no means by which to do this. I just whish I knew what it was all about as their letters all seem very vague.

Thanks

OK first things first, if you do not know what theyse alledged debts are then write to each of the muppets stating that you do not know what they are alledging to. There is a template which i will find and post up

They have no legal authority to money off you whatsoever, only a county court has this power.

Red & Lowells are the same company just for the record.

Report them all to the OFT/trading standards.

Never speak to them on phone & refuse to answer security questions if they ring you.

send them this and do not sign it

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Thank you for all your replies. These letters can be very scary so its nice to know I made the right decission not to contact them. I will write to them all as suggested. Should I send the letters by recorded delivery so that they have to be signed for?

Once again, thank you so much and I'll let you nkow how I get on.

Registration Number: Z7385210

Date Registered: 18 December 2002 Registration Expires: 17 December 2009

Data Controller: TESSERA PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT LIMITED

Address:

ARRAM BERLYN GARDNER

HOLBORN HALL

100 GRAY'S INN ROAD

LONDON

WC1X 8BY

Other Names:

ROCKWELL DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY

BTMK SOLICITORS

PACE FORWARD

FENTON COOPER

Just another debt collector calling itself different names in order to fool everyone

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

• 3 months later...

I started this thread some time ago but because the demands stopped I never got around to sending them a letter.

Then this week I had a letter from Fenton Cooper (same company, different name I know) about an outstanding balance of £913.16 that needed paying immediately (although they could save me at least £639.21 depending on my circumstances!!). The letter gave me an account number but, as before never stated who the original debt was supposed to be with.

But then yesterday I also received a statement (this time from Tessera Portfolio management Ltd) that it said was issued under section 77a of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. On the statement it says opening balance 01/10/2008 £913.16; closing balance 30/09/2009 £913.16; statement period 30/09/08-30/09/09; original lender Halifax plc and then it gives me an account number as well as telling me the debt is managed by Fenton Cooper and their address.

The thing is I've never had a statement before. I haven't held a Halifax account for either 12 or 14 years. I no longer have any to prove or siprove I ever had a Halifax account never mind whether or not I owed them any money. Giving me a statement that covers the last 12 months seems ridiculus. It doesn't even give a date for when the debt first started.

I knew it was too good to be true when they all went quiet on me. Should I send them the letter above or is there another letter or better way to go on with this?

Thanks

Alison