MBNA postcard

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5414 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a postcard with picture of a pda on photo side which has 'typed out' on the pda screen (in the photo) Dear 'My first name' You have an important message on the reverse of this card. Chris

On reverse of this card it states:

Dear 'my first name'

I have important information I need to discuss with you. This card is notification that I will be calling you week commencing Monday 22 June 2009.

if you would rather contact me, please call me on the following mobile numbers 07785 942335

Yours sincerely

Chris

Along the middle section (address is on right hand side) is written in extremely small font 2 or size 4 I'd imagine it states MBNA address and registration details. Runs vertically to separate two sides of written areas on the card.

Could I ask if anybody has some precise infomration regarding whether they are allowed to:

1. Use a postcard with 'open' details (as above) able to be read by all and sundry eg postman?

2. Are the details they wrote in 'open' mode somehow against any guidelines specifically?

3. Are they allowed / should they say Dear' first name and be so informal? Same with ending 'Chris'?

4. How about the extremely small fine print size - hardly readable and only way to identify which organisation sent it.

5. Is the card a threat fo a doorstep visit or a telephone call?

6. Any further advice?

Would appreciate specific references to any guidelines they may have broken. Not wanting to put off any opinions but I would like to respond to MBNA with some hard-hitting facts. It's always difficult to complain 'in general' and much more substance if there are some references to particular laws etc which they have broken. Have they actually broken any laws?

Thanks

I would suggest that you take a photocopy of both sides of the card and then send the photocopy accompanied by a letter of complaint under the CPUT regulations. Send a complaint to your local trading standards and also to the office of fair trading.

Could I ask if anybody has some precise infomration regarding whether they are allowed to:

1. Use a postcard with 'open' details (as above) able to be read by all and sundry eg postman? They are not stating you owe anything or that this is a matter re debt, so it would probably be acceptable as they simply state "contact us for further info" the most anyone could glean from the card is that MBNA are trying to contact you - it could easilly be a marketing strategy

2. Are the details they wrote in 'open' mode somehow against any guidelines specifically? as above

3. Are they allowed / should they say Dear' first name and be so informal? Same with ending 'Chris'? That is really a small point, but if they are trying to be subtle it would reinforce the opinion in answer 1

4. How about the extremely small fine print size - hardly readable and only way to identify which organisation sent it. again - in line with answer 1

5. Is the card a threat fo a doorstep visit or a telephone call? no the "call" could easilly be a telephone call

6. Any further advice?

Would appreciate specific references to any guidelines they may have broken. Not wanting to put off any opinions but I would like to respond to MBNA with some hard-hitting facts. It's always difficult to complain 'in general' and much more substance if there are some references to particular laws etc which they have broken. Have they actually broken any laws?

Thanks

I think that MBNA have finally got the message about sending threats in the post and in this case they haven't broken any of the guidelines.

There is nothing to cause you embarrassment or inform anyone that you may have financial problems. As far as anyone is concerned the card could simply be a marketing ploy. The use of the first name, whilst being overfamiliar and a little unprofessional doesn't really breach any laws or OFT guidelines

In this instance I would simply file the card under "ignore"

Hi everyone, My wife also received one of the postcards recently and at the time my thoughts were 1) They give the impression that someone will call at your house ( but really mean someone will phone you).and 2) the size of the print which links the postcard to MBNA is SO small that it is almost unreadable and forces you to phone the number stated just to find out who has sent the card. Both instances may be legal but I think they are designed to frighten people into making contact which is frightening if you are not a member of CAG.

sleepindog

Sleepingdog - sorry I disagree, if I got one of these I would not even bother to read the small print and would throw it in the bin.

as Spamheed says it is more of a marketing ploy than anything else and if they cant be bothered to state in large type MBNA, I would simply put it down to some idiot firm trying a new tactic, I certainly would not be tempted to phone a number I did not know

I hope Chris dosent mind Hon Barrister Sandford James from Queens Chambers, Port Harcourt Road, Nigeria ringing him up to dicuss the transfer of $ 12,000,000 (Twelve Million Dollars US) from a secret bank account:eek:

personally i would blank out my name and address then take it to my nearest phone box and pin it up there that would teach the stupid man for putting his name and phone number on something that anyone can have a good look at what if poor mr postman dropped it in the street and didnt realise lol

There are gudielines are there not which state that companies should state who is contacting you and from which organisation?

I have a statement from the vice president of MBNA to me stating her justification for these recorded phone calls to the home which say please contact us on tel no whatever as it is urgent etc. No name of organisation at all. I stated this was a breach of debt collection guidelines but she said they are not allowed to state details because it would assume a 'prior relationship;. no worries them phoning me at work stating MBNA want to phone me or the numerous calls and messages left with anybody who answered my landline stating 'calling from MBNA'.

So the VPs opinion contradicts - two different approaches both defensible with contradictory defences!

Anyhow back to the postcard.

The lack of idnetification I assumed was an issue?

The small (honestly it is so small it can only be read with those with superhuman eyesight which I am fortunate to have) - I thought there was also 'something' 'somewhere' regarding a judgement - sorry to be vague but something comes into sentence again ---- red hand or something like that judgment??? Anyhow - the font size identifying them is so small it makes nonsense of their attempt it really does.

Added to that isn't asking / offering us to also phone them on a mobile number also a breach (is it a prime rate line?)

.. and.... what about the fact that anybody who read this card could easily come to conclusion it is a debt issue? It also has a reference number so could a 3rd party not have more access to information than should be?

Actually why are they allowed to write on cards???

I have written to OFT and complained to MBNA anyhow.

I hope Chris dosent mind Hon Barrister Sandford James from Queens Chambers, Port Harcourt Road, Nigeria ringing him up to dicuss the transfer of $ 12,000,000 (Twelve Million Dollars US) from a secret bank account:eek:

:grin: just got that :lol:

do they phone??

hmm why don't dcas give us email addresses I wonder?

just to let you know that i was doing some research on the web last night and found a site that said the debt collection are not allowed to send any form of info via a post card am not 100% sure as it was last night but think it said that it was a form of harassment sending postcards will look the address up again if it is will post the address on here if you want it...

Got a postcard with picture of a pda on photo side which has 'typed out' on the pda screen (in the photo) Dear 'My first name' You have an important message on the reverse of this card. Chris

On reverse of this card it states:

Dear 'my first name'

I have important information I need to discuss with you. This card is notification that I will be calling you week commencing Monday 22 June 2009.

if you would rather contact me, please call me on the following mobile numbers 07785 942335

Yours sincerely

Chris

Along the middle section (address is on right hand side) is written in extremely small font 2 or size 4 I'd imagine it states MBNA address and registration details. Runs vertically to separate two sides of written areas on the card.

1. Use a postcard with 'open' details (as above) able to be read by all and sundry eg postman?

2. Are the details they wrote in 'open' mode somehow against any guidelines specifically?

3. Are they allowed / should they say Dear' first name and be so informal? Same with ending 'Chris'?

4. How about the extremely small fine print size - hardly readable and only way to identify which organisation sent it.

5. Is the card a threat fo a doorstep visit or a telephone call?

6. Any further advice?

Thanks

I have had 2 of these prety post cards. No visits.

I assume that you have sent them the do not darken my doorstep letter?