Dead woman charged for a service that does not exist!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have just joined and I was wondering if some-one could give me some basic legal advice concerning a debt.

I used to have a friend who occasionally stayed with me for free in exchange for me staying at her place for free (abroad). No rent was paid. We each had our own landline in my place. She paid her telephone bills and I paid mine.

To put things in a nutshell she subscribed to a discounted telephone package Pipex on top of her BT landline and had a disputed bill with Pipex. Unfortunately she became very ill and while travelling in Europe and died. I infomed BT and they said no problem and switched the account on her phone over to me. (It's useful for me to have two phones)

However Pipex have asked me to supply a Death Certificate so they can terminate the service on her line. I have told them I cannot supply one as she died abroad and her boyfriend will not speak to anyone because of grief and I should think a telephone account in the UK is the last thing on his mind at the moment. Pipex have also told me that they cannot talk to me about the account since I am not the account holder!:confused:

The service was actually terminated technologically when I took over the BT phone line but Pipex keep sending bills to my house to a dead woman for a service that no longer exists! And the bill is getting larger each month!

I have gotten Oftel involved and that did no good.

I know this sounds a mad question but do I have any liability at all? If would seem not logically. However at this rate Pipex will keep on sending an escalating bill to my property, then pass it over to a Debt Collection Agency and then maybe the bailiffs and it seems there is nothing I can do to stop this process.

Can anyone give me any advice on this matter?

I really would appreciate any advice as I am disabled and quite sick myself and this is causing my health to deteriorate further.

I have tried the National Debt Line but can never get through. I just want to know about my liability - or not - for this "debt". And what do I do if the bailiffs come around?

Many thanks for any help offered.

Baffled Consumer :smile:

Send the idiots this;

Dear Cretins,

May I suggest your client contacts the General Register Office (GRO) or either Faraday Tracing Bureau (FTB) or Tracesmart Ltd for a 'Mortality check'. For a fee they will supply death register information.

Yours,

• Haha 1

Send the idiots this;

Dear Cretins,

May I suggest your client contacts the General Register Office (GRO) or either Faraday Tracing Bureau (FTB) or Tracesmart Ltd for a 'Mortality check'. For a fee they will supply death register information.

Yours,

Great idea