Jump to content

You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds


You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds



BankFodder BankFodder


BankFodder BankFodder

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • dx100uk - thank you for your advice.  I will send a SAR to Vanquis and really appreciate all the help on here.   I may have read your last sentence in the way that it was not intended but it has came across very judgmental and not helpful.  I have came on this site for some help, not to be judged.  If that was not your intention then I apologise as I realise text can be read in the way it was not intended.  
    • . I'm sorry but this is not correct. There is a very long established rule that you are required to exercise utmost good faith (uberrima fides) when becoming a party to any kind of insurance contract. This means that you have quite a strict duty to accept responsibility for disclosing any information which a reasonable person in your position might understand could materially affect the risk. I can imagine that the interpretation of this rule would not be applied quite so strictly to a very new and young driver – but the more that one has been driving and the more insurance policies one has held, then I think that the stricter  this rule becomes. It is also well established that one can misrepresent something simply by withholding information – by silence. I'm sorry to say that I think that this rule and the value of it is so self-evident that it is scarcely worth discussing. I wouldn't start raising this issue if I were you with insurers or the courts because you will come away with a bloody nose and loss of credibility
    • @unclebulgaria67 your point is particularly valid especially in regards to loss in the event of a claim. Irrespective of 2x SP30’s or not the vehicle is insured for its full market value. The insurers rating changes based on risk against those endorsements, where said risk calculation isn’t made available.    Also I question the validation of 22% in premium. Is that based on today’s risk profiling, or is that applied retrospectively to day 1 and can that be evidenced.    One thing that is very clear, is that to bring about any degree of misrepresentation the insurer has to have evidence that questions were asked in regards to the endorsements.   This was an auto renewal and when I’ve checked the Brokers electronic Copy on “My Policy’ at renewal, there is no section included relative to accidents in the last 5 yrs or Motoring convictions. Everything else relative to me and the named driver is listed. 
    • Here is what exposes Johnson & Co Commission document, makes for sober reading   Wonder if Snake Oil Singham has read and digested it?   https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/com_2020_324_2_communication_from_commission_to_inst_en_0.pdf
    • Must be a positive if the Insurers are now using the legislation as it was intended. It is just that I have not heard of it being used for Car Insurance, as the 22% comes from the Insurers rating calculations, which is not available information to the Policyholder. With Home Insurance, if you Insured a Building for £100k, when it should have been Insured for £122k, it is easier to grasp.   The Insurers would have issued the policy documents clearly showing that no motoring offences had been included within the premium calculation and the OP has had 5 months to correct the record with Insurers before the accident.   Perhaps probe the Insurers on the 22%. Can they provide evidence from their Underwriting rating guidance that this is the extra premium for 2 SP30's.
  • Our picks

    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 5 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.
      I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.
      I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.
      No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.
      The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.
      They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.
      They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.
      I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?
      Thanks for reading 
      • 7 replies
    • The courier industry – some basic points for customers. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/421913-the-courier-industry-%E2%80%93-some-basic-points-for-customers/
      • 1 reply
    • The controversial sub-prime lender says the City watchdog is investigating its practices.
      View the full article
      • 0 replies

CL Finance & HSBC

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4040 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

In circa 2000, unknown to me my wife managed to get into a financial tangle after becoming redundant which resulted in her going overdrawn on a current account with the HSBC. She was continually stung with penalty charges which dramatically increased the amount owed (an original overdraft of something like £2000 is now a debt of £6300, even after 9 or so years regular payments). HSBC then apparently offered her a personal loan to pay off the overdraft (all over the telephone - no paperwork). She accepted the 'offer' and of course, she was unable to keep up on the repayments, the debt spiralled and ultimately ended up assigned to CL Finance in September 2007.


I became involved when my wife owned up to me and told me CL were putting her under severe pressure to keep increasing repayments she could not afford. My first move was to try to determine indebtedness and how much was due to penalty charges, which was impossible due to lack of paper trail. At this time I am sure anyone could have written to my wife demanding money and she would have been so frightened she would have paid without any query.


Because I could not verify how much the original debt or charges were for, or indeed find any details whatsoever I CCA'd CL Finance in March this year. They failed to respond until this morning when they sent a letter (plus the usual red-print Final Demand for the whole outstanding balance).


They acknowledged my CCA request and have stated that 'this account is an amalgamation of personal loan and an overdraft' and they state, an overdraft is exempt from Part V of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 because an overdraft does not require a formal written agreement to be enter into, therefore there are no documents available.


In respect of the personal loan element, they claim the HSBC has reported to them that as the agreement was opened more than 6 years ago they, the HSBC, have no documents available because they are not obliged to retain records after 6 years. This, they report, does not make the original agreement void or unenforceable. However, my wife is certain she never signed any agreements whatsoever anyway.


Is a debt that cannot be verified properly enforceable? We have no idea whatsover what the original amounts involved were for and how much has been added in charges, and how much has been paid.


Any advice would be most helpful.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, hello and welcome to CAG.


This shows why the financial institutions got themselves into so much bother.


Starting at the beginning, to discover what/if any charges have been applied to the account you would need to send a SAR to the original creditor, the new owner or the DCA responsible for the management of the account will generally have little more than contact details and amount outstanding. The SAR will cost £10.


On the legalities of the CCA etc. Nice try but no cigar!!!


When each of these arrangements was orginally entered into they would have been covered by the terms and conditions of an agreement. in the case of the overdraft this may have been little more than a letter from the bank explaining the T&C of the overdraft facility.


Whilst the DCA is correct about the Overdraft not being covered by the CCA, the account ceased to be an overdraft when they "Amlagamated" it, the same is true for the Personal Loan.


The agreements (whether covered by the CCA or not) would have been terminated at the point of amalgamation, those accounts would cease to exist and therefore any liabilities attached to them would be transferred to the new "amalgamation" agreement.


Still with me? Good!!


Since both the Overdraft and the personal loan were both contracts in law, any changes applied by the lenders to the terms and conditions of either contract must be documented. If the change to the contract is fundamental it would require the permission of all parties concerned ie a new agreement.


So to clarify:


Either the debt is two debts and half is covered by the CCA and the other by the T&C of the overdraft facility and you have a right to see both documents.




The debt is a single entity and is covered by the original T&C and the newly revised agreement for the amalgamated amount and you still have a right to see all documents pertaining to:

The original accounts,

The closure of the original accounts

The creation of a new credit facility and the CCA covering it.


In other words they should have a perfect paper trail showing where the money went and how it was handled.


They are b*llsh*tting you, you have rights and they are denying you those rights - I would suggest that you send them another letter requesting all documents from all three agreements


As the wise and wonderful Bart Man said "damned if you do and damned if you don't"

Hope this helps



If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.


If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.



The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change



Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic! You've eased my and more importantly my wife's minds considerably.


I'll write as you suggest and post any replies they may send (I don't suppose they'll give up easily!)


I am very grateful.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be surprised if they do come up with something equally ludicrous, These people are paid on commission so they will keep on trying.


Standard CAG rules apply - nothing on the phone, everything in writing and keep copies of everything. If they've already stated one case in writing and they then realise oops.....and put another excuse in writing, you have a cast iron, solid, bomb proof case if they should stupidly take you to court.


Also remember if they are stating that the debts have been amalgamated, then the original accounts have been cancelled and you are no longer liable for them, only for the new amount (if there is an agreement)


You need to request copies of the original agreements, the document that your wife signed to agree to the amalgamation of the accounts and the terms and conditions for the new amalgamated amount.

Hope this helps



If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.


If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.



The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change



Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It might also be worth sending a SAR to HSBC too - you can find this here - http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/576-subject-access-request-debt-a-dca Unfortunately this costs £10 - send postal orders and send recorded / special delivery to the Data Compliance Manager at their head office....

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.


DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation






IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.


Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...