DCA Access to Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are doing the whole we don't live at this address thing....

They tried to set the trap of having securemail try to deliver something that we needed to sign for to confirm that we live at the address but we didn't fall for that one.

We heard from someone that debt collection agencies have access to where you live on the council tax, is that true?

I was telling my girlfriend I shouldn't think they would put much effort in trying to get a debt that is under £50, but is this likely to ramp up to something in the hundreds or thousands?

We are a bit broke at the moment, and really didn't want to pay for a water bill from an old house that the other housemates didn't bother paying, any advice would be great!

Thanks

We heard from someone that debt collection agencies have access to where you live on the council tax, is that true?

Thanks

:eek:

Ctax data... I would hope not! As far as I know thats not legal

DCA's have access to the public version of the Electoral Roll, if you register to vote then the data can be sold on.

S.

council tax register and the electoral roll is 2 different things.

Electoral roll anyone can access if they pay, council tax register no they can't.

Don't register to vote and you become more difficult to trace - however remember that if you are paying bills at your new address you have transferred from your old i.e. credit cards etc they can link your address on your credit file which again can be searched.

Eeek, just done a google and it shows that the EROLL register shows voters @ a property and the CTAX register shows owners of a dwelling.

ICO approves council tax data share ? The Register

S.

As that reads they would have to tell you that they are planning to share the data and who with - as the article is dated 2007 and so far I don't think this has happened maybe it has been dropped.

I certainly hope so

As that reads they would have to tell you that they are planning to share the data and who with - as the article is dated 2007 and so far I don't think this has happened maybe it has been dropped.

I certainly hope so

Me too, Might query with my local council on who they share their ctax register with.

S.

We don't own the place we're just renting, didn't register to vote, landlord pays water, gas and electric was top-up in the last place......

I think her name is only down to pay council tax and for her bank to send bank statements, no credit card only a simple current account with debit card.

Is there any way they can trace her? Maybe that's why they resorted to the securemail trick?

Thanks for all your answers!

perhaps for £50 it would be a lot better to come to a payment arrangement with them of say £5 a week/month - do you want the hassle of them chasing you and the debt adding and adding for a relatively small amount of money??