• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

RD vs Abbey. Feel free to comment on how i'm doing.

rickdrennan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6203 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to clarify. We are now under the impression that Ashurst's have provided 4 members of staff to Abbey National to handle these legal matters. They are based at Triton Square and are working for Abbey. I believe they are Christine, Inga, Tom and Jamie. This has not been confirmed yet, but appeaars to be the case. Hence why most paperwork is signed by one of the above. Please feel free to correct me or provide me with helpful info for my case.

8th November 2006 - Ok. So the 7th of November has passed and the Abbey have so far acknowledged the claim and sent me copy of their defence. I have not received an official defence from the court, however the details of the claim on MCOL show that the claim has been defended. I expect the official defence any day now. I'm contemplating sending Abbey a letter stating that i am willing to negotiate on the settlement and would accept a small charge for each transaction (i.e. £5). I would still request the interest owed on the money and the court costs. I hope that they would accept. If they don't then at least i can show the judge that I have been making an attempt to avoid court action.

What does everyone think???

• 2 months later...

12th January 2007 - Happy New Year Everybody.

Ok, so its been sometime since I posted here, but nothing has really happened since anyway. I received a letter from my local County Court this morning (Blackpool) stating that I had until the 17th of January to return my Allocation Questionaire (N149) or my case would be thrown out. The only problem is; I've never received my Allociation Questionaire! So i've just downloaded it form Her Majesty's Courts Service - Home and filled it out. I'll hand it in to the court personally rather than chance the post.

HELP REQUIRED: Do I have to include any other information other than the actual questionaire & do i have to send a copy to the Abbey? Please inform me somebody?

rickdrennan, hi you appear to be at the same point as i am i received the allocation questionaire and have to return it by 27/1/07.Do you mind me asking what you plan to include with yours I am claiming about £1000 also did you have to pay another £100 on submitting your questionaire.

No there is no need to pay another fee if your claim is under £1500.00. Follow the link below for: Allocation Questionaires - A Guide to Completion (N149 or N150). Keep in touch and Good Luck.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/11644-allocation-questionnaires-guide-completion.html

Hi, You don't HAVE to but it is best practice and common courtesy to send a copy of AQ to Abbey. If anything it alerts them to the stage you are at. Although i think the court send a copy anyway. You are a couple of weeks ahead of me so I will keep a watchful eye on your progress.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

20th February 2007 - Received a letter from my County Court stating that my claim has been filed under the small claims track. The letter also states that:

"Before the claim is listed for hearing, the judge has ordered that a preliminary hearing should take place because:-

special directions are needed in this claim to prepare for the final hearing which the judge would prefer to explain to you in person."

I have been given a date of 17th May 2007.

Is this a standard letter from the court? Can somebody please advise me as to what special directions the judge is talking about?

• 2 months later...

2nd May 2007 - 2 weeks till court date. Received the following letter this morning:

"We have now conducted a complete reconciliation of your account and without admission of any liability, Abbey National Plc has determined, in this instance, to settle your claim in full. Payment will be made in the sum of £1,112.78. Payment is in full and final settlement of your claim x xx xxxxx..."

"Abbey is raising a cheque for the sum of £1,112.78 that will be paid into your account (if open) or posted to you. We will now inform the Court that Abbey is settling your matter in full and asking the court tho withdraw the claim from the hearing list. Once you have recieved payment, would you please inform the court that you withdraw your claim, and provide us with a copy of your letter."

YEE HAA!!!! SPANK-YOU, SPANK-YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

I was just starting to panic a little. I wasn't sure if I was fully ready with my court pack and all the documents. I even contemplated sending them a letter asking if they would like to settle for a smaller amount. I'm glad I didn't. All the waiting, time consuming letters and stress was all worth it. My advise to everyone is:

HANG IN THERE. THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE ON THIS SITE THATS BEEN THROUGH WHAT YOUR GOING THROUGH NOW. THERE'S SO MANY FRIENDLY PEOPLE THAT WILL ALWAYS HELP YOU OUT. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY DON'T PANIC! BUT BE WELL PREPARED!!!

Thanks to everyone on this site. I'll be donating my 5% shortly and you should too.