Please Help!

joesmummy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a bit of a long one but I am really hoping for some advice so here goes!!

My ex partner left the family home in Nov 2003. After a few months I started getting letters from DCA's regarding credit cards and store cards in my name that I had never signed up for. There was also a £5000 loan from welcome finance that my name was on, jointly with his, again, I did not agree to this. to cut a long story short, I was held liable for these debts and as I was a student at the time the University helped me to pay them off. Shortly after this my ex-partner went bankrupt. I have since moved on in life and moved out of the area so you can imagine my surprise when two bailiffs arrived at my property yesterday morning wanting a payment of £1000 for un-paid council tax on a property I had never lived in!! Over the past few months I have had several letters from DCA's regarding credit cards and store cards again taken out in my name but for an address I have never lived in. Some of these debts have been written off but the council obviously think that I was the occupant of this property particularly as it has come to light that I apparantley signed a tenacy agreement and my signature was witnessed by someone who happens to be a friend of my ex-partner!!!

I DID NOT sign a tenancy agreement but after calling the council yesterday it seems that the evidence against me is overwhelming and the bailiffs told me they would be back in two weeks and they were not very polite about it either!!!!

I do have one outstanding debt, a barclaycard credit card that I had a s a student but this has been handed over to that many dca's that I dont know who is dealing with it or what to do any more!! I am worried sick about the bailiffs coming again. I have emailled the council with the full version of events on the advice of the lovely helpful lady i spoke to yesterday but according to the CAB i should just pay it!! I also spoke to the police who were not interested. I am also being hounded by the Inland Revenue as my partner neglected to tell them he had left the family home and continued to claim working tax credit and childrens tax credits. I was not working at the time as I had my daughter in 2002 and i then was at uni but again it seems that even though he was the main claimant, because it was a joint claim, I am liable.

I am confused, worried and need a plan of attack as I want to take back some control over this and my debt situation so if any one can advise I would be very grateful or if anyone has been ina similar situation I would like to hear from them too.many thanks for taking the time to read this.

This is a bit of a long one but I am really hoping for some advice so here goes!!

My ex partner left the family home in Nov 2003. After a few months I started getting letters from DCA's regarding credit cards and store cards in my name that I had never signed up for. There was also a £5000 loan from welcome finance that my name was on, jointly with his, again, I did not agree to this. to cut a long story short, I was held liable for these debts and as I was a student at the time the University helped me to pay them off. Shortly after this my ex-partner went bankrupt. I have since moved on in life and moved out of the area so you can imagine my surprise when two bailiffs arrived at my property yesterday morning wanting a payment of £1000 for un-paid council tax on a property I had never lived in!! Over the past few months I have had several letters from DCA's regarding credit cards and store cards again taken out in my name but for an address I have never lived in. Some of these debts have been written off but the council obviously think that I was the occupant of this property particularly as it has come to light that I apparantley signed a tenacy agreement and my signature was witnessed by someone who happens to be a friend of my ex-partner!!!

I DID NOT sign a tenancy agreement but after calling the council yesterday it seems that the evidence against me is overwhelming and the bailiffs told me they would be back in two weeks and they were not very polite about it either!!!!

I do have one outstanding debt, a barclaycard credit card that I had a s a student but this has been handed over to that many dca's that I dont know who is dealing with it or what to do any more!! I am worried sick about the bailiffs coming again. I have emailled the council with the full version of events on the advice of the lovely helpful lady i spoke to yesterday but according to the CAB i should just pay it!! I also spoke to the police who were not interested. I am also being hounded by the Inland Revenue as my partner neglected to tell them he had left the family home and continued to claim working tax credit and childrens tax credits. I was not working at the time as I had my daughter in 2002 and i then was at uni but again it seems that even though he was the main claimant, because it was a joint claim, I am liable.

I am confused, worried and need a plan of attack as I want to take back some control over this and my debt situation so if any one can advise I would be very grateful or if anyone has been ina similar situation I would like to hear from them too.many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Hi joesmummy,

I suggest you get a copy of your credit file asap.

Who did you talk to at the police???... pc plod at the front desk? CID? I would write to the chief constable explaining how you have been the victim of identity theft and that it needs investigating, copy in your local MP.

I think you will need to go through the credit file one company at a time advising them that you have been the victim of identity theft. Sending proof of your residences against what they hold as the account address may help.

The council tax is the most important debt at present, the balliffs have extra power when dealing with ctax. Try and get your MP or local counciller involved, state you dispute the amounts and that you lived there and ask that they re-investigate.

Hopefully others will come up with more advice and specifically the core problems at present, namely Ctax and the Inland Revenue.

S.

Are You as Anonymous on CAG as You Think You Are? *Link*

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

thankyou for your reply. The council are investigating at present but do have a "signed" and witnessed tenancy agreement. There is also apparently rental arrears on the property too which I may be liable for. I am not sure who I spoke to at the police station, just the guy on the front desk I assume and he said that because my signature was used I dont have a leg to stand on. As a matter of fact, the lady i spoke to at the council yesterday commented on how easy my signature would be to forge and advised me to change it!! This is all really scary to be honest. Some of the DCA's have been really understanding and have written off store and credit cards taken out in my name but to be honest I feel sick to my stomach at how devious my ex has been and how every finger is now pointing at me and there seems to be nothing I can do about it.

thankyou for your reply. The council are investigating at present but do have a "signed" and witnessed tenancy agreement. There is also apparently rental arrears on the property too which I may be liable for. I am not sure who I spoke to at the police station, just the guy on the front desk I assume and he said that because my signature was used I dont have a leg to stand on. As a matter of fact, the lady i spoke to at the council yesterday commented on how easy my signature would be to forge and advised me to change it!! This is all really scary to be honest. Some of the DCA's have been really understanding and have written off store and credit cards taken out in my name but to be honest I feel sick to my stomach at how devious my ex has been and how every finger is now pointing at me and there seems to be nothing I can do about it.

This sounds like a serious case of Fraud and Identity theft, I would go direct to the policestation and demand them to investigate, you should be speaking direct to somebody in CID at the very least and you NEED a police investigation reference to hopefully halt things or at least slow them down.

Not sure if getting a solicitor's advice may help, do you have any large solicitors firms offering free sessions after working hours/at weekend?

S.

Are You as Anonymous on CAG as You Think You Are? *Link*

The CAG is a free help site,should you be offered help that requires payment,please report it to site team.

Deal with your debts:

STEP ONE - Dont Panic! | STEP TWO - Priority & Non Priority Debts | STEP THREE - Personal Budget Sheet | STEP FOUR - A SAFE bank Account | STEP FIVE - Dealing with Priority Debts | STEP SIX - Non-priority Debts | STEP SEVEN - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt1 | STEP EIGHT - Non-Priority Debt-Repayment Opt2 | STEP NINE - Perils of Consolidation | STEP TEN - RE-Evaluate Frequently

***** SERIOUSLY IN DEBT, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO, TRY NationalDebtLine's MoneySteps *****

IMPORTANT: Please take my advice in the spirit it is given and on the basis that I am expressing my opinion, These opinions are not endorsed by CAG in anyway and are offered informally without prejudice or warranty of any kind. These opinions are solely based upon the knowledge I've gained from this fantastic site and life in general. I have NO legal training.

I was thinking about getting some more firm legal advice and I think I will do so. At the end of the day it all comes down to proof and I will have some difficulty proving my innocence. At present is looks like I have fraudulently rented a property, not paid any rent, obtained credit and not paid it off and not paid my council tax!!! I explained to the lady at the council yesterday that I had bank statements delivered to my previous address and even my degree certificate but she said unless I was named on the mortgage or utility bills, (which I wasnt as it was my previous partners house and he continued to claim single persons council tax discount so he is not going to back me up!!) that I couldn't prove I did not live at the property in question. She basically said that I could have had mail delivered to one address while actually residing at another which i suppose is true but only if you are as dishonest as my ex-partner who I am sure has done this on purpose. Thankfully the council tax thing appears to be the only debt being chased linked to that address for now, as i said, other debts have been written off. there is also the issue with the inland revenue, again, cant see a way out of that one and now to top it all i just got a letter through the post from Red Collections (i thought Lowells were dealing with it) regarding the Barclaycard situation saying they are going to take me to court even though I emailled weeks ago saying i wanted to pay £20 a month and heard nothing back!!!! End of rope comes to mind!!

you do not need to prove your innocence - you ARE innocent!

get up the CID office.

i would not waste anytime on external legal advice.

deal with your local CID

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...