Gym memebership - cooling off period?

judi24
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5423 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello - I need some advice! I did a stupid thing and signed up for an expensive gym last week - I won't burden you with the reasons why!! I am in debt and trying to pay it off and although I appear to have a good income I would be much better using this money to repay debt and walking to excercise -

Anyway - I joined last week and signed something to say I was commiting to a years minimum subscription - there is nothing on the agreement to say I have a cooling off period - does anyone know if i have a cooling off period for this type of agreement - the company is David LLoyd

Any advice would be appreciated

Yorkshire Bank: Claim for £4777.85! :o MCOL sent 03/10/06

i think contract law is 14 or 28 days

whichever way there is one and its more than 7 days

just cancel it.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Generally, there is no automatic cooling off period applied to contracts. There are many exceptions, such as insurance, distance selling, but nothing for gyms.

Your only chance is if it involved credit, it was organised by distance selling or if it is provided for in the contract. If none of those apply, then it's a case of looking for unfair terms and challenging them.

Generally, there is no automatic cooling off period applied to contracts. There are many exceptions, such as insurance, distance selling, but nothing for gyms.

Your only chance is if it involved credit, it was organised by distance selling or if it is provided for in the contract. If none of those apply, then it's a case of looking for unfair terms and challenging them.

Thanks for your reply - It doesn't really involve credit, as it is simply DD payments. There is nothing in the contract either. It looks like I have made a real boob and will have to live with it! Thanks anyway

I assume you signed the contract on their premises during your discussions was a cooing off period mentioned.

cds;)

Yes I signed on the premesis - I can't believe I made such a rash decision on the spot! I think part of it was that I got carried away with the kids getting excited etc. No a cooling off period wasn't mentioned at all!

I have a similar problem but with virgin active, I signed up for a years membership but decided after 4 days that it wasn't a good idea I entered the gym via a front door swipe and asked about my cancellations rights. I had a 7 day cooling off period, i wrote a cancellation letter and sent via recorded delivery which they received. however 1 month later i got a phone call at work stating my account was in arrears i explained about the cancellation letter but they stated they hadn't received any letters? after hours of calls transferring from dept to dept they found my letter, thank god i thought. 10 minutes later i received another phone call informing me i couldn't cancel my membership saying id used there facilities? I hadn't, they had the front door swipe record showing me entering the gym!! cause of this they are demanding 12 months membership @£46 per month, I have 10 days to pay or they refer my account to debt collectors...I thought i was doing the right thing canceling within there 7 day change your mind period, but it looks like i'm the victim of their unfair terms and conditions stuck in a technicality with no idea what to do next?

If you sign up on trade premises (the Gym) there is no cooling off period. What you need to discover is whether you hare paying the monthly fees to an intermediary, who is funding your year's upfront payment to the gym, or whether they are accepting staged payments from you as a 'service'. If the former, you may have a get-out. If the latter, you may well have to complete the agreement, or look for ways to break it legally - what do they say about illness, moving away... that kind of thing?