Any MS Word officiandos about?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When typing using a word document, why are spaces not equal and how can I fix it?

I know about line and character spacing etc, it's just a problem with a box a table. I call it a table - it's a box with a line drawn down the middle.

I can't tab inside the box and therefore have to use spaces to get to the other side.

However, the characters are slightly out, maybe by about the width of half a character.

I didn't design the document btw, it's an application form and it's also password protected so I can't amend it:mad:

Any help appreciated.

If you are using MS OFFICE 2007 or 2003 you can go to the microsoft site and look at the tutorials

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

When typing using a word document, why are spaces not equal and how can I fix it?

I know about line and character spacing etc, it's just a problem with a box a table. I call it a table - it's a box with a line drawn down the middle.

I can't tab inside the box and therefore have to use spaces to get to the other side.

However, the characters are slightly out, maybe by about the width of half a character.

I didn't design the document btw, it's an application form and it's also password protected so I can't amend it:mad:

Any help appreciated.

You will probably find it's the way the application form has been designed. Have you saved it to your desktop? It's most unlikely that you will be able to adjust anything. Have you printed it out when you've filled it out just to check what happens when printed? As I say it's most unlikely that you can amend it. I've been typing stuff for years and there is only so much that you can actually alter on something designed specifically for someone else.

DG:)

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

Which version do you have Gyzmo?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Can you save a COPY of the document?

OpenOffice will allow you to make a copy which CAN be edited, even though it won't let you edit the original.

Just a thought.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Sounds like you have Justified Text turned on, rather than the more usual Left Align. Look for the lines of text buttons at the top (assuming 2003) and ensure the leftmost button is clicked, not the one on the right with the 6 lines being of equal spacing.

Justify Text mode is used to fill unused space, as in a proper publication, and will produce exactly the symptoms you describe.

My edition is 2002 (is that right?)

I've tried copying the document but it doesn't work - I can only get the text. When the text is pasted in a blank document, I lose all the formatting and spacing so that doesn't work.

It's not just the document that is at fault, let me make sure I explain myself properly....

If you were inputting some text in table form, you would use the tab key to space the columns (well, I do). However, pressing tab in the application form sends the cursor to the next box.

That means I have to do loads of spaces, and that's where the problem lies. When I try to line up the text, it is slightly out and doing my nut in!

I think I might just do it the old fashioned way and put pen to paper. And then design a new application form to complete online, send it to them and hopefully impress them so much with it that I get the job:rolleyes:

Sorted.

CTRL + Tab.

First time ever that MS word help has actually, well, helped!

Thanks for all the replies.

Ah, you just had a margin misalignment. Well, glad you managed to solve it. On your query about the version, 2002 is also known as Office XP. I'd advise upgrading to take advantage of newer features that have become available. If you can afford to stick with Micro$oft, I'd change to Office 2003 (steer clear of 2007, there are dozens of good reasons why world uptake of this version has been a comparative trickle), or, even better, swap to the free, open source project Open Office.

Tried OO, didn't like it one bit. I did give it a chance, honest I did (as couldn't afford MS Office) but in the end, had to give it up as a bad job. I still have it knocking around somewhere just in case, but I really, really, really hate it. ;-)

Whether you love or loathe OpenOffice is of course just personal choice, but I always remind people that OpenOffice is not only free, it - like FireFox - sits alongside, rather than replaces, the original Micro$oft programs on your PC.

Since you will lose nothing by installing it, it's well worth downloading and trying out for a few days/weeks. You can always uninstall it if you don't like it.