LLoyds SAR signature request - time limit to comply

Massamum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a reply to my SAR to Lloyds with a request for my signature. I've sent a copy back to them (crossed through) and was just wondering if they have to adhere to the 40 day limit from the date the original SAR was received, or from the date they receive my signature?

Can anyone tell me please. Thanks.

40 calendar days from the date of the original request...out of interest what reason did they give for requesting a signature?

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

should of sent them this

Dear Sirs,

RE Account NO XXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letter dated xx/xx/2008 the contents of which are noted.

In your letter you make reference to requiring my signed authorisation /specimen signature** before you comply. I draw your attention to the fact that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 does not require that i supply you a copy of my signature before you comply with my S77/78** request.

If it is for Data Protection purposes then i can happily supply you with documentation to substantiate my identity to you.

However please note that to date you have happily sent statements and correspondence containing extensive sensitive private information to my address. I have to ask if you are concerned that you are corresponding with the correct person why has it taken so long to raise this?

As you are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998:

7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

My request for a true copy of my credit agreement under section 77/78** was made on xx/xx/2008 and the 12 working days for your compliance expire on xx/xx/2008. I note that there is no provision that removes the requirements of the act to provide this information on time, even if you are unsure of my identity.

I look forward to receiving the documentation requested

Yours faithfully

Print dont Sign

The only reason for asking for a signature for a SAR can be for identification purposes.

They have admitted that they don't have an up to date signature so there is no need to send one, because they can't use it to confirm your identity. Presumably they want it for some other purpose, so be careful.

I would be tempted to walk into Lloyds armed with ID & their letter & tell them to record that you have identified yourself as the person making the request (but not allow them to make copies of the id because the act doesn't allow them to demand that)

The Information Commissioners Office guidelines on data protection are quite clear on this.

In section 2 they quote "Often you will have no reason to doubt a person's identity. For example, if a person with whom you have regular contact sends a letter from their known address it may be safe to assume that they are who they say they are"

Credit card companies are increasingly using the signature excuse for not supplying documents. As 2Grumpy says, be very careful. Did you scan and keep a copy of the signed letter that you sent them?

2Grumpy, what you say in post #6 makes such sense now, I didn't think of that, its all scary stuff! Sadly its too late now as I've already sent the letter off. Wish I'd had this info before.

No Vint, I didn't keep a copy of the letter with the signature on, but I wish I had. I did cross it through with big crosses - hopefully they won't be able to do anything too sinister with that.

2Grumpy, what you say in post #6 makes such sense now, I didn't think of that, its all scary stuff! Sadly its too late now as I've already sent the letter off. Wish I'd had this info before.

No Vint, I didn't keep a copy of the letter with the signature on, but I wish I had. I did cross it through with big crosses - hopefully they won't be able to do anything too sinister with that.

Hopefully not, but you should be able to tell if they try.