Need Support - Landlord/Estate Agents problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've posted on here before but I don't know if people remember reading my problem. I didn't want to add to my old thread because I don't know if that was allowed or not.

I was offered social housing (been on the waiting list for over 3 years). The condition was that I moved in right away but I still gave one-months-notice to my Landlord. I was basically paying for 2 houses rent, plus council tax, water, gas and electric, but I wanted to do things properly. My Landlord wasn't happy, obvously, and said that they would have to speak to the estate agent about it - he added I would probably have to pay estate agent fees. The estate agent has come back and said that I have to pay rent until a new tenant moves in, plus estate agent fees, etc. After coming on here, and reading loads of material, I realised that they could do this. I don't think it's fair as in the lease there is a clause for the landlord to end the tenancy but there is nothing for the tenant. It's the law though everyone keeps telling me.

My Landlord refused to fix loads of things. It was a damp house that opened up right on to a road. My son has Autism and the house I live in now is much better for his needs. There was always broken beer bottles, damage, and flood risks surrounding, or near, the old property. I've been flooded twice and the Landlord refused to have someone look into it. I've also has problems with the boiler. I couldn't afford to pay rent for the old house and it was constantly going up every year. Plus, my son couldn't play outside and there were no children for him to play with. Unfortunately, I've spoken to Shelter and they say that it won't matter if he didn't fix things. It doesn't mean the contract can be broken.

On top of that, my Landlord used to always call me, or drop by unexpectedly. He was very negative, telling me things like: I should be more patient (after waiting over 3 months to have the water pressure to the boiler, and leak, fixed), tell me off for not being able to contact me, and for things the estate agent used to say, etc., for example: the landlord told me the rent was going up, I received a letter from the estate agent to sign (to agree to the new rent), which I did and sent it back, I get a call from the Landlord chewing my ear off about the estate agent saying I had refused the rent increase. They had put the wrong amount on the letter and said I had refused his rent. Also, he told me off because the estate agent said they had tried to contact me numerous times without success. When I moved I found out that they had had the wrong number. I have given my number to them countless times and they still keep losing it. My Landlord has shown me pictures of other properties telling me that I am paying less than them and I should be more grateful. He has said he should just sell the place. This is just a few examples, there are loads more.

I have no money. I am in debt. I don't even have a cooker in my new house. It is costing me more money because I have to buy ready made meals all the time for the microwave. I can't even afford to get money from the social to buy one. He has my deposit and won't give it back to me - obviously he can do this. How can things like this happen? The law shouldn't be so black and white. If I hadn't paid the rent in 15 days he would have had the right to come into the house, and kicked me out. Why is there no get out clause for tenants? I spend a lot of my time crying. I thought I would be able to fight this because of the way he has treated me, and refused to repair things, but it seems to not matter.

Both the landlord and estate agents are lying to me. They will not give me a straight answer. The estate agent told me they would keep my post for me, but the landlord says they told him they couldn't. So, he has been taking my mail and sending it to me. The problem is: I'm not getting all my mail. I wrote to a few businesses, I haven't received post from, and they said they posted it to my old address and they've not received it back. My dad has been putting money into a bond for me and one of my letters, my bond notice, has not been received. I think he thinks he can use this to prove I have money. This is the only thing I have and it isn't ready for a couple years. What is even more sad is that I was receiving a women's magazine for free, for three months. I changed my address but they said they sent it to the old address. My landlord, and his wife, have kept my magazine. These are people who live in a very posh house in an expensive area. Who have gone on Holiday during all this. Even, the estate agent and woman from Shelter have gone on Holiday! I can't even afford one day away. How can this be, it just seems so unfair, but I can't do anything about it. I don't know what other post has been stolen but it's not against the law supposedly.

I feel really sick that he has kept some of my mail. It seems really personal. When I spoke to him he went on about how stressful it was for him. He is always banging on about what he is going through. I feel like I have no rights. It's okay that I can barely afford to live, poor them, they might not be able to go on as many Holidays next year.

I don't think they believe me that I have no money. I don't go to restuarants, I don't go out, I don't shop - apart from very cheap things like magazines at times - I don't get my hair cut, I can't afford to buy clothes, I have creditors breathing down my neck, I don't have a car, for Birthdays I am lucky if I can buy a present for £5. I am really upset about this. I feel completely helpless.

I know that there are bad tenants out there too but why is it the nice ones that suffer? I bet good landlords are having the same problem too. My Landlord is deluded he thinks he is extremely kind and helpful. I couldn't wait to have the Landlord and estate agent out of my life, but they aren't, they are still causing problems.

Firstly, what kind of tenancy agreement did you have? WHen did you sign it, was it a 6 or 12 month one and you are still within those months, or has it gone on a periodic month to month tenancy?