style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This weekend M & S had a 25% off sale on some of its mens ranges. My Mum decided to go and buy my Dad some new blue harbour jumpers. She buys these jumpers quite regularly for my Dad and they are normally priced at £9. However on this occassion my Mum noticed that M & S had ripped off the bottom part of their printed labels on the jumpers, which have the price on it. They had then put a sticker on to the label stating £12. Therefore once the 25% discount is applied to the £12 it makes it £9 (The normal price of the jumper).

My Mum has complained to M & S but I was just wondering if they are allowed to do this?

It also makes me wonder how many times companies do this by conning you into thinking you are receiving a bargain.

Easyjet's recent 20% off sale was exactly the same - I had been monitoring the prices as I was about to book flights to tenerife. The advert says up to 20% off every seat every day every route but the price was exactly the same as the previous day. I phoned to complain and was told firstly that it is up to 20% so that could mean 0% and secondly because we are getting closer to the date of departure the price might have gone up by 20% then been reduced by 20%, Outrageous....

All comments are my personal views - if in doubt then seek professional advice. If you think i've helped then please tip my scales.

An item can only be 'sale' reduced if it has been on sale at one of it's stores for a period of not less than 28 days at the higher price.

Sadly, no longer true. It's now defined as a "reasonable length of time".

However, what has been described could be an unfair practice, but that is for the authorities to deal with.

I would certainly report it to Consumer Direct. Evidence is needed that companies are doing this so that, hopefully, collective action is taken in the future.

My previous employer would often change the prices on its products weekly, poorer selling lines would either get permanently reduced or put into promotion/sale, while higher selling products would often have a small increase, it was very rare for something to go up in price then suddenly a week later for it to be reduced, but it was still maxing out any profit in the best lines, and trying to ensure poorer selling lines had their stock shifted.

I understand that a retailer is allowed to change their prices when ever they want, its up to its customers to choose if to buy that product or not.

I understand that a retailer is allowed to change their prices when ever they want, its up to its customers to choose if to buy that product or not.

Not totally true. The 28 day period has been removed, but the previous higher price should be available for a reasonable time. As I said, there is no definition, but I desperately wish that 28 days is used as a standard.

It does mean, on an every day basis, that sellers can get away with doing what they want with prices, but that does not mean they are allowed to. A seller can still be accused of misleading customers.

And yes, customers should ignore the previous price because, frankly, they cannot be believed.

Sorry I meant in the context of day to day pricing, and not linking to increase prices one day then promotion/sale pricing on the next.

That said alot of retailers appear to do this and get away with it, or the likes of those sofa shops who always seam to have a 50% off sale 24/7/365, I wonder if you can actually buy a full price sofa from them?